Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep it simple. Long time rider of a beautiful 2004 Rhino. Lookin at Cat Trail Sport and new Polaris General and the Wolvey. Bottom line General not out yet here, looks good, price high, love all the options, price high, fast but dont need ALL that speed but nice, impressive, price high, price high, price high did I say price high. Its a Polaris that seems to make anything in a heart beat just to make folks happy to beat the comp. Cat, I grew up Cat but they didnt have a sxs back then, bought a new 2004 Rhino, then a great machine and no problems. Anyway lurkin on the Cat forum hard to get any answers. Im interested in a Trail Sport 60" wide but many their have not to old Trails WITH TONS OF UPDATES. Kind of got the cold shoulder over there, seems like I posted in the wrong spot that some one was makin new upgrade A arms and i intruded on his thread, just lookin for a quick answer my bad. Im not new to forums but this one was a bit confusing to ME on where to go to talk about a certain sxs. Yes I went to the Wild Cat Trail that includes Trail Sports but certain ones over there seem to rule there spot. Looks like they have problems for what Ive seen (many with upgrades) or its all show who knows they all have there issuses to a point and depends on ridin. That bein said Im thinkin of makin a deal on a Wolvey (not to many around here anymore for remaining year) but have time. Question ya think anything will change within the next 3 months besides a bit of a price hike. Any issues you think Yami will address on the Wolvy if any. I can wait or buy now, White $11,499 they have a green to but no price, I know I could get that cheaper yet, both R Spec. OR I can get a plain Wolvey for $9,999 or cheaper without power steering and the lame shocks just a new Rhino in away with EFI. I just look at resale and dont know if many want a sxs without power steering anymore if one where to get in a bind and needed to sell. Wolverine is lookin better everyday after the stuff Ive be readin and had my hopes on one before the others. Just stirrin the pot. Merry Christmas.....

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I don't foresee yamaha making any significant changes in the near future. They like to stick with things for a while.
If you liked your rhino, you'll love a wolverine

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
in my opion whatever machine you buy is only as good as the service you get,some dealers are better than others.yamaha might build a better machine than some ,but I don't feel their service is better,they don't have much for cab accessories like polaris and artic cat and their parts and accessories availability is terrible .I like my wolverine,but sometimes I think i should have waited another year before I purchased it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think with any machine there will always be a few things that should be improved. For my needs the Wolvie was my best choice.
Been to the Rockies three times and hunting and drag racing and everyday uses around my little farm. I love it. Have friends with all other brands of SxS and like them all in certain applications. But if you want a good multipurpose, fine riding machine, Wolvie is a great choice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I love my Wolverine for what it is, somedays I wish I had a bigger bed, some days I wish it was sportier with more power, some days I wish I had my ATV back, but what you get is a good all around machine. I'm a little disappointed in the few issues I've had up to this point, my Grizzly never went to the shop, the Wolvy has been.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an 09 Arctic Prowler XTZ 1000 and an 09 Teryx. The Arctic had a nice motor, got good fuel economy, and had better ergos and better storage. The Teryx handled better and the quality/fit/finish was better. The Teryx dealer was better service. In 2014 I bought a Teryx before the Wolvie came out. Had it been out in the Fall of 14, I would've bought one. I have my Teryx on consignment and if it sells, I will buy a Wolverine. For me, the suspension/handling, 10g fuel tank, skid plates, and the best CVT in the industry, and good ergos for my left prosthetic leg are enough to tip the scales. I don't do sand, mud, or deep water. But I have put 3500 miles on my Teryx in 1.5 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well i had a cat trail and nuttin butt issues a arm bushings done at 500 miles steering rack went shifter cable broke ran hot as crap all the time...my buddy had one to and the firewall melted so we both sold them and i got a wolvie and i love it love it love it!!!its not the fastes but rides better built better and hopefully lasts way longer than my cat that i sold with 900 miles on and only jad it 9 months

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok, I too had an 04 Rhino ,the Wolverine is everything I thought wrong with Rhino made right ! It is a blast to drive, I have a jacked up back and could hardly ride Rhino anymore because it hurt ! The Wolvrine with EPS I can ride all day! Its a super smooth ride! If you can afford it I would definitely get EPS! I was not going to get it but I saw the artic white coming out and called my dealer and asked them to call me when they showed one shipping to them, they gave me a good deal on it so I bought it , the EPS is well worth the 1k difference on ride and resale . I remember Rhinos about breaking a finger with steering wheel kick back. That doesn't happen you can hit any rut or rock and don't feel it. Anyway thats my 2 cents worth!

·
Banned
420 Posts
I had a 2009 Rhino and I agree with everything ^^^^^^he said^^^^^^

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I had to add my two cents for what it is worth usually nothing but hear it goes. As a rule I don't like to purchase anything the first year it comes out , there are always unexpected bugs that show up. Like anything else I would hope that Yamaha will fix any issues or provide up grades to the newer models that come out . I have been following this forum very closely and there are a few issues that show up on a regular basis with anything new model it should be expected . I am a Yamaha man I have several of them in garage right now with that being said I am waiting until the summer to decide, to see what Yamaha does with the 2017 . not expecting a new model just improvements. Lastly as far as the power thing goes that someone mentioned and not needing all that speed . I look at it this way my speed day are long gone but the HP is always welcomed . If you look all through this forum people are looking at several ways to get POWER , weather it be low end mid range top end. I'm sure if you do riding around on some hard pack trails and don't change anything there is plenty of power there . But I like most like to add stuff like bigger tires nicer rims and that alone drains HP . If you look at the other sites reliability may be an issue but HP is not . HP is not all about the speed but getting the job done sometimes . Me personally I hope a bigger motor comes out but don't expect it. All that being said is look through this forum and others good. Look at what aftermarket companies are doing. and you will see a trend weather it good or bad . My opinion is wait as hard as it sound Yamaha makes a good product and the Wolvy should be around for awhile .

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Power is kind of relative...........how much you want vs how much you need. I bought a machine with a 700 motor. I do not and should not expect it to have the hp of a 1000. However for the type of riding we do around here, it has every bit I want/need. HP costs $$$ both in initial costs and wear and tear down the road. One model cannot fill every persons needs. A ranger and a rzr sell to 2 very different market segments. I do think Yamaha sat on their hands too long in coming out with new models to replace the rhino. From all appearances the Viking, Wolverine, and YXZ are a big step in the right direction. For my purposes the Wolverine is a great compromise between being fun and sporty on the trail and being useful around my small farm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I want to add also that I can run 35 on alot of trails , the same trails that 20 in a Rhino was super fast insane! I have been absolutely thrilled with the power! It is not just about the 700 motor it is clutching the way it is set up it makes power almost as soon as you mash the gas . If you listen to it next to competitors you can tell , it hooks up and goes !Also yes it is the first year for this model but I think Yamaha did alot of research and testing because of their reputation they want to upkeep ! Not just come up idea build it and sell it with no testing !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Need and want is the right question to ask . I don't think anyone really needs a 1000cc motor . I know there are many 250 timberwolves and 90 cc big reds still getting people around out there in the woods . The want is the reason most people buy. Do you want bigger tires better ground clearence. You adding speakers extra batteries lights and gear all this adds strain to the motor. What type of riding are you doing mud holes or a deer lease ride. You have to get the bike that best suit what you are going to be doing with it. If your happy with the wolverine in its stock condition then great. If you want the 28s with the mud tires lift kits to play in some holes then be expected to add some bills to compensate for lack of power. And as for just throwing something out there without testing . I'm sure there was Alot of thought in putting out the Wolvy (conservative ) thought . My question is why a 700cc the same motor that was in a Rhino in 2008, just motified to get more hps out of it. In a nutshell the want is a bigger motor look all through this forum even Honda the most conservative of the bunch put out a 1000cc side by side. Is there a need for it not really but there is definitely a want for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ride in Northwest Arkansas , lots of rocks , hills mud and mine does great! I do drag on big rocks or a downed tree but that's what the skid plates are built for! Mines all stock with preload all the way compressed and rebound turned all the way in, still playing with shocks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Need and want is the right question to ask . I don't think anyone really needs a 1000cc motor . I know there are many 250 timberwolves and 90 cc big reds still getting people around out there in the woods . The want is the reason most people buy. Do you want bigger tires better ground clearence. You adding speakers extra batteries lights and gear all this adds strain to the motor. What type of riding are you doing mud holes or a deer lease ride. You have to get the bike that best suit what you are going to be doing with it. If your happy with the wolverine in its stock condition then great. If you want the 28s with the mud tires lift kits to play in some holes then be expected to add some bills to compensate for lack of power. And as for just throwing something out there without testing . I'm sure there was Alot of thought in putting out the Wolvy (conservative ) thought . My question is why a 700cc the same motor that was in a Rhino in 2008, just motified to get more hps out of it. In a nutshell the want is a bigger motor look all through this forum even Honda the most conservative of the bunch put out a 1000cc side by side. Is there a need for it not really but there is definitely a want for it.
You do know Yamaha makes a 1000cc xyz SxS, right?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Before the Wolverine,owned a 94hp xp900&a 110hp xp1k,on the trails,have not really noticed any power loss.The big plus is...have owned the Wolverine for 6months,and it has not had to go back to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes I do know yamaha makes a 1000cc bike . That is a straight sports model, not an all around machine . I am not looking for speed i am looking for grunt something i can add 28s or 30s on and not have to worry about power . I know that it sounds like I am dogging on the Wolvy but I'm not. I just think they could have done a lot better with it since we had to wait so long for it and coming out with the same motor from 2008 doesn't seem like a leap forward

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.