Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel is a little off center. Is there a way to correct this without taking it back to the dealer? It was like this when I got it home, so nothing is bent or anything. But I am not even sure of my closest dealer to take it to for warranty work.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just do an alignment,

Reactions: Doc T

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
More than likely if it’s only off a little, when you pull it off and move it one tooth the other way, it will probably be off the same amount the other direction. At least that’s how it went on mine.
Many of the previous models weren’t correctly aligned from factory. The only way I could get mine centered was to center the wheel and then do an alignment, which wasn’t correct anyway. It could be that only one tire is toed in or out too much creating the problem.
Mine came off with only a slight pressure pulling on the wheel and a very light tap on the shaft.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The wheel goes on where it is marked. You do not want to re-clock the wheel. The wheel is centered on the rack and is correct where it is or it should be.

The proper fix is to get under the car and open the tie rod on one side and close the other up by the same amount. A good idea to check the toe-in as the have been known to be off from factory as your wheel is telling you too. All that should have been aligned but it isn't.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
To stir the pot a little, when you ride in it with different weights at different locations it can make slight shifts in suspension geometry which can shift it slightly and you have to steer it a little to correct the lean. Also if you preload your springs it could make a slight difference. I say ride it for a while and let it and you settle as to how you want it, align the toe-in and then decide if it is enough to worry about. But whatever you do don't take it back to the knuckleheads who had their chance, they'll just make it worse. Read the alignment threads on the forum, and do yourself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping it would be more simple than adjusting both tie rods. But I like my machines nice LOL, so I will take the time and do it. I will have to check the steering wheel as well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You better get used to it, These machine loose alignment pretty much every ride.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mine has been a little off center since new. It bothered me at first but now I just ride and don’t worry about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You better get used to it, These machine loose alignment pretty much every ride.
Really, I’m guessing you know this from experience? I’m guessing with a square 30” setup and a lot of power this is possible. Can you explain?
Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
When did you take delivery?...still no word from my dealer
It‘s my X2 that is off center. I haven’t taken delivery yet. I spoke to my dealer again today. He told me it hasn’t shown up yet. He doesn’t offer an ETA anymore but says he bugs his Yamaha rep every few days. Frustrating having to wait so long especially with the cold weather coming. I may not get to use it much this year. I don’t think there are many in Ontario.

Please keep me posted.

Reactions: Gregger17

·
Registered
23 Posts
It‘s my X2 that is off center. I haven’t taken delivery yet. I spoke to my dealer again today. He told me it hasn’t shown up yet. He doesn’t offer an ETA anymore but says he bugs his Yamaha rep every few days. Frustrating having to wait so long especially with the cold weather coming. I may not get to use it much this year. I don’t think there are many in Ontario.

Please keep me posted.
Lol.,,ok I was about to freak out on my dealer! Please keep me posted too..thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts

Please keep me posted.
I have put 13 hours on mine - it has been great...The only issue is it is cold without the front windshield. I was allowed to take delivery of mine because my dealer gave up on anymore deliveries so he didn't want me to wait. This machine is a beast and it handles the cold very well!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got mine on the 29th of September, and saw one other one at the Hatfield trails on Oct. 9-14. My X2 is still centered on the wheel, but this one definitely takes more of a beating lol. Shit my rhino was always a touch off from day one too now that I think about it.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have put 13 hours on mine - it has been great...The only issue is it is cold without the front windshield. I was allowed to take delivery of mine because my dealer gave up on anymore deliveries so he didn't want me to wait. This machine is a beast and it handles the cold very well!
The super ATV windshield worked pretty darn well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My steering wheel is a little off center. Is there a way to correct this without taking it back to the dealer? It was like this when I got it home, so nothing is bent or anything. But I am not even sure of my closest dealer to take it to for warranty work.

Any input would be appreciated.
I test drove a RMAX-2 with the same issue. I was told they have not had a chance to align it yet, a part of the dealer prep process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was off a little also but it drove straight when i let go of the wheel. You can rent a steering wheel puller at most autoparts stores. The steering wheel is not keyed but splined so clocking it correctly is no big deal. If it drives straight with no steering input, don't monkey around with the alignment. You may end up with not enough threads in the tie rod end!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mine was off a little also but it drove straight when i let go of the wheel. You can rent a steering wheel puller at most autoparts stores. The steering wheel is not keyed but splined so clocking it correctly is no big deal. If it drives straight with no steering input, don't monkey around with the alignment. You may end up with not enough threads in the tie rod end!!!
You do not want to move the steering wheel. It is centered on the rack. It is the tie rods that should be adjusted almost always.

Typical of any front end really. If steering wheel hasn't been off and reinstalled wrong then the tie rods need the adjustment.

They are only going to need maybe a single turn. It isn't going to unthread the tie rod enough to matter one iota. You are actually making the both the same most likely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The wheel goes on where it is marked. You do not want to re-clock the wheel. The wheel is centered on the rack and is correct where it is or it should be.

The proper fix is to get under the car and open the tie rod on one side and close the other up by the same amount. A good idea to check the toe-in as the have been known to be off from factory as your wheel is telling you too. All that should have been aligned but it isn't.
But how do you know the steering wheel was placed on the correct spot? If they cant align it right from factory they can screw up the steering wheel install as well. But after checking to make sure the steering wheel is correctly installed, then I agree with you. :)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts