Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode last week and blew the bead on the front wheel/tire. Rim was bent pretty bad but repairable. Then I noticed the other side has a pretty large dent in the wheel too. I think these stock steel wheels are pretty soft metal. Maybe rim stiffeners would prevent future dents and flat tires. I have been off roading all my life and have only seen a Polaris quad with butter soft wheels. Anyone running wheel stiffeners?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the wolverine steel wheel is pretty soft metal. Wheel stiffener/rock ring is a steel ring that you weld onto the outside of the wheel to give it support so it doesn't bend when you hit a rock, fairly common on jeeps. I found that "Hit The Gas" in Houston Ohio has 12" rings for $25 each. They are made for Polaris 12" wheels but I will measure my wolverine rims and make sure they will work. These rings measure 12.5 inches OD. I will measure my wheels tonight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, the wolverine steel wheel is pretty soft metal. Wheel stiffener/rock ring is a steel ring that you weld onto the outside of the wheel to give it support so it doesn't bend when you hit a rock, fairly common on jeeps. I found that "Hit The Gas" in Houston Ohio has 12" rings for $25 each. They are made for Polaris 12" wheels but I will measure my wolverine rims and make sure they will work. These rings measure 12.5 inches OD. I will measure my wheels tonight.

Is that the same as bead locks?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I measured the wolverine wheels. They are 12.5 inches. I am ordering the rock rims from Hit The Gas today.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I have honestly never heard anyone say they had an issue with factory Yamaha ATV steel wheels before, this is a first. I think the issue is more with the heavier weight of a SxS on light weight 2 & 4 ply tires and not enough air pressure, causing the wheel to bottom out. There are over 280 views of this thread and nobody else having an issue? I think this is a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is sort of rare too. My opinion based on the large dents in my rims is Yamaha used soft steel. I don't think higher ply tires are going to cure the bent rim problem I'm having. I run 11-13 psi in my tires. Years ago I had a Polaris atv and those rims would bend if they even got close to a rock. Maybe the steel just isn't thick enough?
I have honestly never heard anyone say they had an issue with factory Yamaha ATV steel wheels before, this is a first. I think the issue is more with the heavier weight of a SxS on light weight 2 & 4 ply tires and not enough air pressure, causing the wheel to bottom out. There are over 280 views of this thread and nobody else having an issue? I think this is a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your not talking about the beadlock rims that come stock on a r spec se are you, but the regular steel rims?
My understanding is only the SE Rspec has the beadlock rims. My stock RSpec has the steel rims. I think the SE is the only one available in Alpine White also. It is a cool color.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
If Yamaha's history holds true, the SE aluminum wheels were nothing to brag about on the Grizzly's either, they were soft and wore when spinning in muddy waters. The aluminum wheels on the Grizzly's with EPS that looked like a steel wheel were very good wheels though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got the rock rings from HTG . I will prep them Thursday and have my ,buddy a pro welder , burn them in on Sunday. I will try to post pics but I usually have a lot of computer problems that prevent me from posting them. But I will try.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've never heard that Polaris steel wheels are soft either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Damn how fast are you hitting these rocks and how big are the rocks. We ride here in AZ were this is nothing but rocks almost

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohio spring riding . Very deep ruts, fast pace, most of time I can't even see the rocks due to mud. A lot of times the rocks are in the side of the ruts so they can't be missed.
Damn how fast are you hitting these rocks and how big are the rocks. We ride here in AZ were this is nothing but rocks almost

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prepped the wheels and rock rings last night. I noticed one of the rear wheels had a small dent in it. So that makes 3 bent rims in one day of riding. The front drivers side rim was by far the worst. The other front and the rear wasn't to bad. Welding will be done Sunday.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
love to see pics

1 - 20 of 25 Posts