Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just recently bought my wolverine x4. I put on about 115 miles so far. Once in a when I start it up it will idle on and off and turn off. When it turns off the EPS light comes on. It’s not doing this because it’s cold. I live in SWFL and it’s 85 degrees out and I keep the wolverine in my garage. It doesn’t do this all the time but from time to time it does.

Has anyone ever come across this issue and if so what do I do? I have extended warranty on the wolverine for 4 years but I just bought it so I’m hoping I can just fix it if is something minor.

There’s plenty of gas in my wolverine as well. Once I go for a drive I don’t have any issue again.

I would appreciate all the advice and help! Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would suspect bad gas on a new unit. Ethanol fuel sits, then water separates to the bottom, maybe some water in tank. More fuel might not matter as water may still be there on the bottom of the tank. I would drain and put fresh fuel in, and eliminate that first, or maybe the spark plugs are fouled. Lots of times the machines are started and not allowed to warm up while being moved back and forth at the dealer, and plugs get fouled, I'm sure others will chime in with other stuff to check.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
think about what changes from "time to time". Gas. Fuel pressure if there is a bleed down leak until up and running. A bad wiring connection that affects ECU info signals. Just some of what comes immediately to mind...…. think if there are any other common denominators on when it happens.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Make sure you're giving your fuel pump time to build pressure before you try to start it. You can hear it buzzing for a few seconds when you turn the key on. I wait until the buzzing stops, then start it up. And it still stalls every once in a while, but that's because it is cold here.

Reactions: Planetcat

·
Registered
443 Posts
^This. I think the fuel pump takes about 15 seconds to pressurize. It is worth the wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
agreed. Mine died 3 times not waiting for the fuel pump. Once I waited for the fuel pump to fully prime the lines it never happened again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would suspect bad gas on a new unit. Ethanol fuel sits, then water separates to the bottom, maybe some water in tank. More fuel might not matter as water may still be there on the bottom of the tank. I would drain and put fresh fuel in, and eliminate that first, or maybe the spark plugs are fouled. Lots of times the machines are started and not allowed to warm up while being moved back and forth at the dealer, and plugs get fouled, I'm sure others will chime in with other stuff to check.
Ethanol separates and starts turning in less than 2 weeks. I wouldn’t use automotive fuel in any Yamaha, lawnmower, chainsaw, backpack blower etc....
Use Recreational fuel, here is a website where you can locate a pump nearby in Florida. If you’re in a different state or Canada you can select the different locations and cities.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL
I can tell if the fuel is bad by the odor of the exhaust.
Rec fuel will also cold start better too. I couldn’t believe the difference it made in the chainsaws.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts