Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When plowing using warn 72" plow it was running fine then it stalled when just driving with plow up. After it stalled then it would not start. After about 10 minutes or so it started and nothing had changed. The next day I was out plowing again and it was running fine but when i turned it off it would not start again and after about 10 mins or so it started fine. Nothing was changed and still running stock. Anyone have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
When plowing using warn 72" plow it was running fine then it stalled when just driving with plow up. After it stalled then it would not start. After about 10 minutes or so it started and nothing had changed. The next day I was out plowing again and it was running fine but when i turned it off it would not start again and after about 10 mins or so it started fine. Nothing was changed and still running stock. Anyone have any suggestions ?
Mine did the same thing this past weekend. I found that if I wiggled the shifter it would start. I think that there may be a sensor there that loses contact or something. Hopefully that helps.

·
November WOTM Winner!
883 Posts
Mine did the same thing this past weekend. I found that if I wiggled the shifter it would start. I think that there may be a sensor there that loses contact or something. Hopefully that helps.
Easy way to test that would be if it doesn't crank hold your foot on the brake and try it. I believe you can start them in gear as long as you have the brake applied.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder that if operating the machine with an additional load on it, and the plow blocking airflow to the grill / radiator that maybe it caused it to overheat and cause it to shut down until the engine cools off a bit.

·
November WOTM Winner!
883 Posts
I wonder that if operating the machine with an additional load on it, and the plow blocking airflow to the grill / radiator that maybe it caused it to overheat and cause it to shut down until the engine cools off a bit.
Not the case believe me I've overheated mine several times (to the point that the temp light comes on and once that I heard it start boiling coolant). It doesn't shut you down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Easy way to test that would be if it doesn't crank hold your foot on the brake and try it. I believe you can start them in gear as long as you have the brake applied.
It will start in any gear with the brake. If the brake is in and it is still not starting, take a board an use it to wedge the brake pedal all the way in. Then check the tail lights to make sure the brake pedal switch in engaging. Also, kneel next to the front driver side wheel and look up under the wheel well at the back of the dashboard. There is a harness that plugs onto the back of the ignition/key. Push it and make sure it is all the way on and locked on the tabs. I had mine come loose once and the machine was dead. Not sure if is was a slacker on the manufacturing line or if they tend to wiggle loose. Anything above that, you will have to buy a test light and start exploring under the hood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For some reason mine will start in any gear without the foot on the brake, If you wiggle the shifter. It's dangerous I know but it will start. I found this out because I always reach in and start it up to warm up. I've had it start up and move forward and scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, I need to try that. I always have to step in and put the brake on to start it.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't do it all the time. It has just done it and I've noticed. My grizzly does something similar and I have to rock it back and forth to get it to engage instead of wiggling the shifter. It must be a Yamaha thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still having the same issue with it stalling at random and not starting. I also checked with dealer and they weren't able to replicate the issue. It happens so randomly that there is not really any way to pin point any particular issue. It works fine without the plow even in really cold weather so it doesn't seem to be fuel/air mixture in cold temps which some other people seemed to be having.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
The plow doesn't have anything to do with the engine other than the electrical load placed on the battery by the winch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you 100% positive that your winch is hooked up right. i have seen dealers hook things up in all sorts of weird ways. if you have a circuit breaker in line on your winch that will kick when either the winch gets hot or the electrical load gets to high for the battery drain. if they hooked your winch up oddly it could kill your machine till the auto reset cools and lets you start the machine again. the other thing is that the machine itself my have an auto reset circuit breaker so as you are winching and your winch is drawing high load with lights on maybe and other accessories this breaker could kick from heat and take 10 minutes or so to cool and reset. i can make it out to my machine today to trace back the electrical system to see if there is one but i am not near it right now.

The worst part of plowing is most people plow small areas where the winch is working up and down alot .. in turn the winch draws a shit ton of energy and inbetween lifts the machine is not running long enough to fully recharge. this leads to the battery being lower and lower and lower through out your job also causing your stator to work hard and heat up when you are plowing keep the factory battery meter on your screen and watch it you should be running between 13.8 and 14.1 while you are running the machine. at times that you shut the machine off look to see where the battery is it should be between 11.7 and 12 (11.7 is lowest and rare for good battery) if you shut machine off and your battery is lower you can be sure that you havent regained your charge and inturn when parking the machine you should either let it idle to regain charge or putting on a tender to bring it up. make sure that when it stalls out and wont start to keep track of battery level and let us know

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
...and always plug in the Battery Tender after plowing! There is no way the carging can keep up with the discharging while plowing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you 100% positive that your winch is hooked up right. i have seen dealers hook things up in all sorts of weird ways. if you have a circuit breaker in line on your winch that will kick when either the winch gets hot or the electrical load gets to high for the battery drain. if they hooked your winch up oddly it could kill your machine till the auto reset cools and lets you start the machine again. the other thing is that the machine itself my have an auto reset circuit breaker so as you are winching and your winch is drawing high load with lights on maybe and other accessories this breaker could kick from heat and take 10 minutes or so to cool and reset. i can make it out to my machine today to trace back the electrical system to see if there is one but i am not near it right now.

The worst part of plowing is most people plow small areas where the winch is working up and down alot .. in turn the winch draws a shit ton of energy and inbetween lifts the machine is not running long enough to fully recharge. this leads to the battery being lower and lower and lower through out your job also causing your stator to work hard and heat up when you are plowing keep the factory battery meter on your screen and watch it you should be running between 13.8 and 14.1 while you are running the machine. at times that you shut the machine off look to see where the battery is it should be between 11.7 and 12 (11.7 is lowest and rare for good battery) if you shut machine off and your battery is lower you can be sure that you havent regained your charge and inturn when parking the machine you should either let it idle to regain charge or putting on a tender to bring it up. make sure that when it stalls out and wont start to keep track of battery level and let us know
To add to your posted hints. A fully charged fresh battery should measure right around 12.7 Volts. 12.0 Volts is a half discharged battery. Those tenths of a volt are quite significant.

Also, the winch cable scheme on most snow plows is quite poor. The pull angle with the cable is very close to horizontal, such that it takes an enormous pulling effort to raise and lower the plow. More effort is more current draw. There are ways to reroute the cable in order to get better mechanical advantage by getting the pull angle to be closer to vertical. If you want to lift something, pull up and not sideways.

This link may give you food for thought:
winch problems with plow - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net

·
Registered
57 Posts
For some reason mine will start in any gear without the foot on the brake, If you wiggle the shifter. It's dangerous I know but it will start. I found this out because I always reach in and start it up to warm up. I've had it start up and move forward and scare the crap out of me.
It could be that your brake lights are always on? The brake light switch has an adjustment to make it such that the brake light comes on when you push the brake pedal down a bit. That can be misadjusted or have drifted over time, either coming on (or staying on) before it should or never coming on at all. The switch and the adjustment is on the far side of the firewall a bit above the brake pedal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had a similar thing happen to me yesterday with the stalling. I have used the winch a lot while idling with no problems but have never tried to use it under power. Yesterday I was playing in snow drift and got so deep it packed under the frame and jacked all 4 wheels free. I hooked the winch up ahead of me and hit the gas and the winch at the same time. When the winch got really tight the motor quit just like you turned off the key. I immediately thought of this thread and wondered if this might be related. It did however restart fine and it did let me winch and drive on thru so I don't know what was up with that. I did have all 4 wheels spinning and the throttle up some what when it happened. It's weird but I'm thinking its voltage related some how to some sensor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.