Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RMAX2 XTR
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new XTR makes a squeak sound in multiple wheels. The sound occurs only once in a wheel revolution. It's definitely the wheels as I can reproduce the sound while pushing the vehicle in neutral.
This is my first SxS. Is this a normal sound or should I be concerned? I have under 5 miles on the machine so far.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,693 Posts
It's so new, I wouldn't worry about any noises unless they persist after first service, probably just new brakes breaking in.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Mine is exactly the same. It’s just the brakes contacting the rotor on the same spot.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 SE
93 Posts
I've got the same thing going on only noticeable at a slow roll,and on a constancy of each rotation of the tires. Those breaks will run in eventually!

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
281 Posts
Lol, I knew someone that actually oiled his brakes to get rid of a squeak! It did get rid of the squeak. I highly do not recommend that you oil your brakes. Ironically, one of the biggest culprits of squeaky brakes...is dirt. And unfortunately, that is where these machines live. Noises and squeaks bother me until I figure out what the cause is. Once I know where the noise is coming from, I then evaluate and decide if I need to fix it or not. For brakes?....eventually they will wear out and you will replace them anyway. No sense in replacing them before their time.

I wear earplugs when I ride anyway. :)

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
4,093 Posts
My brake squeal is now gone but I still plan on pulling the wheels of to inspect that the brake sliders were greased.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also get that from time to time and what really seems to make it go away for me is to just 2 peddle it in reverse with some hard braking. With the engine braking and trail riding I do, I am almost never even using the brakes, so a bit of water and dirt literally just sits on the rotors until you actually exercise the brakes on purpose.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 SE
93 Posts
I haven't done much for riding in the hills or mountains yet but the engine braking on these machines is really nice. I don't really use my brakes much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My brand new XTR makes a squeak sound in multiple wheels. The sound occurs only once in a wheel revolution. It's definitely the wheels as I can reproduce the sound while pushing the vehicle in neutral.
This is my first SxS. Is this a normal sound or should I be concerned? I have under 5 miles on the machine so far.
I am having the same problem I cleaned the brakes and greased the pins also sanded rotors i only have 29 hours on my machine. Starting to think it’s coming from the rear end any thoughts

·
Registered
902 Posts
The brakes should be taken apart and cleaned and lubed at least as often as the vehicle is serviced normally for oil changes. The brakes on these off road vehicles need regular attention to clean and lube them as well as keep a eye on remaining pad thicknesses..

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I am having the same problem I cleaned the brakes and greased the pins also sanded rotors i only have 29 hours on my machine. Starting to think it’s coming from the rear end any thoughts
Squeak of rattle? Some have had to adjust the tailgate. I'm not sure if the sound is more of squeak or rattly though. I think Massive has video in it build thread. Suspension may still be breaking in at 29hrs so you may be hearing bushings.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,693 Posts
Normal break in sounds. Don't worry about those for the first 150 miles at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The brakes should be taken apart and cleaned and lubed at least as often as the vehicle is serviced normally for oil changes. The brakes on these off road vehicles need regular attention to clean and lube them as well as keep a eye on remaining pad thicknesses..
I did all thous things the sound is still there it’s loud thinking it’s the axle only here it at low speed with no brakes applied

1 - 20 of 27 Posts