Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for possible spring options I was given a list of some Viking numbers they said may work.
I noticed the list included everything to build a viking shock and it appears to fit the X2 from my rough measurements.

Has anyone taken stroke and spring measurements of the KYB's ?

The front spring info is 12DP175/350 - SPRING C/O 2.5ID 12H-175VLB SV
It appears to be a progressive spring. 175 seems a little light to start, but if it goes to 350 then it should be enough. If I understand the data correctly.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hopefully Dillgaf pulls his eibach springs off and gets us measurements. He always has his buggy torn down. lol. I believe our stock springs are horrible. If we just had better springs our KYB's would be damn near as good as any another on the market.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't have the numbers, but I installed the EIBACH springs on my X2 that JBS sells and they are MUCH better than the wimpy factory springs.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I would also like to know of any other springs that will work, besides the Eibach that JBS sells.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BUMP

Hey DILLIGAF can you measure your springs and post back, thanks!

Reactions: Ghost23

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Is there any other springs and hardware beside the kit JBS sells? Does anyone have part #'s?

·
Registered
544 Posts
All Info updated with rates!

Ok I'm diving into the spring conversation. Did some work today. My main reason I'm looking into some change is I'm running the JBS Eibach spring set up. I believe with zero preload on the rear, the springs are lifting the rear too much and putting to much of an angle on my CV shafts causing early failure. So I'm going to try and fix this and add some sag to the rear end to lessen the angle. The biggest problem I have I do not know the rates on any of the Eibach single rate springs or the factory progressive rate springs. Any additional info is appreciated.

2019 X2
No lift
28" tires true to size at 12 psi all around

Rear factory rate 200lbs est. (actual 185-192 tested but well used springs)
Rear factory spring length 14.75"
Rear factory Top ID 2.75"
Rear factory Bottom ID 2.75"

Rear rate JBS Eibach 400lbs
Rear Eibach length 14"
Rear Eibach top ID 2.5"
Rear Eibach bottom ID 2.5"
Rear JBS eibach spacer is .5"

Rear ground clearance Eibach @ 13.75" preload 13"
Rear sag (measured from the ground to the bottom of the belly pan static then with the tires just barley off the ground. Then did the math)
3.5"

Rear ground clearance factory spring @ max 13.75" preload per manual 11"
Rear sag measured as above. 5.5"

I'm hoping to match the 12" of ground clearance in the front so I need a lesser spring rate in the rear. This will also lessen the angle on the CV knuckles. Eibach appears to offer a lot of options I just don't know what the rate I have is.

Onto the fronts. I'm very happy with the front settings and have no issues

Front Factory rate 150lbs (actual was 142-146 well used springs)
Front Factory spring length 14.75"
Front factory top ID 2.625"
Front factory bottom ID 2.75

Front rate JBS Eibach 300lbs
Front Eibach spring length 14"
Front Eibach top ID 2.5"
Front Eibach bottom Id 2.5"
No spacer needed for front Eibach springs on 2019 wolverine x2

Front ground clearance with Eibach @ 13.625" preload. 12"
Front sag measured as above. 3.25"

Front ground clearance with factory springs @ max 13.25" preload per manual 10.75"
Front sag measured as above 4.5"

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's been a while, but I was thinking 300 or 350 spring rate, so maybe try 275??
I was looking at Viking springs back then.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's been a while, but I was thinking 300 or 350 spring rate, so maybe try 275??
I was looking at Viking springs back then.
Contacted the suspension guy that does my bikes today. I'm going to bring him the springs and we're going to get the exact rates for all. Then I'm going to get what we think is going to be the right fit for the rear. So hopefully by the end of the week I can have some more info for you guys! Might be able to get the exact stuff and be able order direct from Eibach at 70.00 a spring.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending on individual load weights, many should end up close to the same rate give or take.

I wish we had adjustable Camber A-arms.
I was about to crank preload up to fix my camber, but after I installed the Prefex lift it allowed me to stay full soft settings as most of the negative camber was gone.
After many miles, tire wear indicates I need to adjust them more. Mostly in the front, but the backs need a touch also.
Negative camber before lift.

After Lift.

After Lift with several miles.
You can see the tire dimbles on the inside are worn slightly more.
The rears are not as much, but need more pre-load also.

Rear tire wear.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Depending on individual load weights, many should end up close to the same rate give or take.

I wish we had adjustable Camber A-arms.
I was about to crank preload up to fix my camber, but after I installed the Prefex lift it allowed me to stay full soft settings as most of the negative camber was gone.
After many miles, tire wear indicates I need to adjust them more. Mostly in the front, but the backs need a touch also.
Negative camber before lift.
View attachment 93118

After Lift.
View attachment 93120

After Lift with several miles.
You can see the tire dimbles on the inside are worn slightly more.
The rears are not as much, but need more pre-load also.
View attachment 93119

Rear tire wear.
View attachment 93121
Holly cow that camber in the first pic is bad! If you were a track racer I would understand. 😂

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well got the rates today and posted them above. JBS basically doubled the rates for the Eibach kit. As far as the front I am happy with it. At just 13.625" of preload on the 300lb spring i'm able to achieve 12" of ground clearance with a smooth quality ride without any CV joint issues. Onto the rear I believe the 400lb spring is way too much for the rear. I even have 200-250lbs of gear in the bed at all times. It put me at 13" of ground clearance which I believe it put more stress on my CV joints causing early failure. So I decided to swap the front Eibach 300lb springs to the rear and put the stock front springs back in the front to try them out. The 300lb Eibach springs in the rear i believe are the perfect fit for me. I'm able to reduce the ground clearance to 12.5 hence lowering the CV angle. Plus i'm only at 13.75" of preload so I can add quite a bit if needed! So in the rear I think JBS went to heavy from a Stock spring of 200lbs to the Eibach of 400lbs. I have ordered 2 more 300Lb springs direct from Eibach and hope to do some more testing out this summer!

I have some videos below explaining the KYB shocks along with the measurements of the JBS spacer if anyone wants to try and find something similar out there.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't get that large of a selection from Eibach that you posted.
I searched my bookmarks and found my Viking link.
Price if for 2 springs. Link.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahhh, I see, I was in Red section.

Very cool information on spring rates 19Wherry, Thank You!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
that is the chart of silver springs directly from Eibach's web site that you can order.
70.00 per spring. so if you can find the .5" spacer somewhere you can get 4 eibach springs for 280.00 plus shipping. far better than JBS's 400.00
Exactly what I've been looking for. I even sent Eibach 3 emails asking if they could recommend springs for an X2. No reply. Now to find the spacers.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Is 1400.250.0300S the correct part # for the 14" 2.5" 300# springs needed for an X2?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd have to look at the numbers, but off hand the spacer is to make up for the shorter spring it seems.
I don't know if there is enough adjustment to add more preload with out it or not.

Reactions: Ghost23
1 - 20 of 44 Posts