Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took spark plug out and replaced it today with identical plug and wanted input on what Fordtruckman, or Deeyoh,or any body that knows mechanics thinks about the condition of the plug after 1400 miles, also I noticed the top of piston was coal black like a diesel. I run 93 octane all the time. I truly would appreciate everyone's input and thoughts 20151121_133835.jpg 20151121_133900.jpg 20151121_141408.jpg 20151121_145013.jpg Thanks in advance. :cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Isn't the black sooty deposits a sign of a rich mixture?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so, I know for sure when its idling is sure smells rich, guess I'll have to take it to the person I trust the least ,the dealer . Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not getting enough air will do it also. Is your filter clean?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thought I'll check tomorrow. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Definitely rich, but as Tinken said, not rich through the entire band. The reason I say this is because while the base of the plug is black, it seems the ground electrode is white/cream, which indicates a normal burn. IMO, I would switch back to regular 87, and run marine Stabil if you plan to let the fuel sit very long. The 93 is doing you no good whatsoever. As for the plug, I have never personally used iridium plugs, but the engineering behind them agrees with what Tinken is saying. I suppose it depends how much low rpm running you do. You could always go one plug stage hotter and run it for 10 hours and see how it looks. Here is a link you might find helpful just for general knowledge on plugs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Believe me there is very little low rpm running. I know when I checked the air filter some time ago ,I cleaned the filter and oiled it,and I put way too much oil on it and even after blotting the filter to remove the excess it probably still had too much. Going to put new filter in it tomorrow and clean old one. Even with the dirty plug it ran great and never missed a beat. Thanks everyone for helping out I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Stop running high octain. This motor is not designed to run it. This will give you false readings on a plug. You fuel is burning to slow for the compression of the engine. Every one thinks high octain fuel is better but all octain is is a additive to slow down the burn of the fuel (better wording could be used I am sure ) the slowing of the burn is to make a more even burn and complete burn in higher compression motors or forced insuction motors. High octain has no performance gain (some time loss if it's not needed as valves can open before the burn is complete) sure they advertise it as more conditioners for a cleaner motor but it's all BS. Start running regular and stop worrying about ethenol. For the last time it won't hurt the damn motor if you use it or treat it right .... my 2 cents

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks TRev, you've heard the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words,and now that I've seen the pic and listened to people in the know words ,I'm going to drain tank and fill with 87. I should of listened a long time age cause my buddies have told me from the start no to use 93. But on the up side this thread may convince others like me that 93 is not necessary in our wolverines. Thank you for the input.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Looks like everyone has this covered well. I agree on the airfilter. It should be cleaned every 20 hours.. especially if you have been following people when it's dusty. I only made it half a day once when in the middle of a pack when it was super dusty. The filter was so full of dirt I even felt the power loss.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks TRev, you've heard the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words,and now that I've seen the pic and listened to people in the know words ,I'm going to drain tank and fill with 87. I should of listened a long time age cause my buddies have told me from the start no to use 93. But on the up side this thread may convince others like me that 93 is not necessary in our wolverines. Thank you for the input.
did you get plug out without taking the bed off?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Believe me there is very little low rpm running. I know when I checked the air filter some time ago ,I cleaned the filter and oiled it,and I put way too much oil on it and even after blotting the filter to remove the excess it probably still had too much. Going to put new filter in it tomorrow and clean old one. Even with the dirty plug it ran great and never missed a beat. Thanks everyone for helping out I really appreciate it.
Gee I wonder where the soot came from?

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Stop running high octain. This motor is not designed to run it. This will give you false readings on a plug. You fuel is burning to slow for the compression of the engine. Every one thinks high octain fuel is better but all octain is is a additive to slow down the burn of the fuel (better wording could be used I am sure ) the slowing of the burn is to make a more even burn and complete burn in higher compression motors or forced insuction motors. High octain has no performance gain (some time loss if it's not needed as valves can open before the burn is complete) sure they advertise it as more conditioners for a cleaner motor but it's all BS. Start running regular and stop worrying about ethenol. For the last time it won't hurt the damn motor if you use it or treat it right .... my 2 cents
I completely disagree. This has absolutely nothing to do with Allout's issue. I suggest you continue using 93 and stabil.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I completely disagree. This has absolutely nothing to do with Allout's issue. I suggest you continue using 93 and stabil.
Tinken, can you please explain why you believe he should be using 93? I am sorry, but I firmly disagree with you. I used to work for a chemical company, they make and sell the additives that ALL fuel companies around the world use in their fuels. The 93 rating ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with additives. NOTHING. AT ALL. PERIOD. The 93 stands for % efficiency based on the efficiency of a perfect hydrocarbon molecule. All it represents is the fact that the gasoline has been further refined and will take longer to ignite and will burn at a slower rate when compared to 87 octane. When an engine is designed for use with 87, it is DETRIMENTAL to use anything other than that without electronic fueling modifications, or physical air supply or cylinder modifications. This is not debatable, this is fact. Google it. The entire purpose of a higher octane fuel is to prevent engine knock, ping, or pre-ignition. They all mean the same thing. This is why you would need to run higher octane fuel in a high compression motor, or a forced induction motor. The higher the octane, the more resistive it is to ignition under pressure, which is why it will not ignite in the high compression motors until the spark is present form the plug. There is no benefit whatsoever to running a higher octane rating in an engine that was designed to run on 87 octane fuel. On the flip side, if you want to talk additives, there is a HUGE proven benefit for many types of fuel additives. The trouble is, unless you add it yourself, you don't know what you are getting. I personally ran and examined many engine test stands doing nothing but additive testing to examine coking on valves, sludge buildup, etc. I value your posts on here, usually you are spot on, but I absolutely disagree with you on this.

By the way, I am an engineer too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In reference to plug removal I have my entire machine apart for cleaning. But I don't see any way to get plug out without removing the bed .the area was full of dust and should be cleaned before removing the plug.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Tinken, can you please explain why you believe he should be using 93?
No worries. Octane is not an additive, never said it was, something Trev said in his post. Octane is a percentage count during distillation of the ratio between 2,2,4-trimethypentane and heptane, typically. However, if we looked closer, the ethanol actually raises octane level, so I don't know how much the petroleum companies are substituting in their fuels. Also, the addition of ethanol to fuel actually reduces it's power potential, an addition of 10% ethanol is approximately 3% less energy. All of this means nothing in this particular discussion, besides the octane difference between 87 and 93 is nothing to really get excited about. What I didn't explain further is that the petroleum companies actually add extra additives to their premium priced fuels which they do not add to their lower grades. For example, Exxon fuels (like Chevron), adds their "Techron" additive to their premium fuels. Techron adds 5% higher percentage of 1.2.4-trimethyl (benzine)and up to 10% higher petroleum naphtha (main ingredient in Startron, Lucas, Stabil, etc.) which will help keep injectors clean, remove carbon, keep ethanol in solution, etc. Marine grade Stabil has a proprietary ingredient that holds water better in solution and is why I still recommended it on top of premium fuel. Let's talk about price for a second. Premium fuels are ten cents higher than standard, maybe twenty? So for eight gallons of fuel at a 20 cent hike, we are talking $1.60 or so more. The average additive runs in at a cost of $10.00 per bottle and so depending on what you are adding in yourself, plus the hassle of doing so, might make the premium fuel cost more attractive. This is why I made the short recommendation that I did.

Getting back to Allout's rich plug which looks flashed in one direction. Like when pumping the accelerator on a carburetor, the accelerator programming in fuel injection also adds additional fuel during the inrush of air from opening the throttle plate. In the motorcycle world, we call it "Whiskey Throttle" when you are slamming the throttle body open during acceleration. This extra fuel tends to cause carbon build-up on one side of the spark plug, etc. It's nothing to get excited about, like I said earlier, I would try an iridium plug and maybe play with the plug temperature a little if concerned.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I'm sorry you're butt hurt now and want to pick a fight. The OP invited me here for my opinion on his plug, not to address the trolls. Maybe you can start your own thread and and have a war with someone who cares.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here's the deal ,put new plug and new air filter put Marine Stabil 3/4 oz in 10 gal ran it a short and idling was a lot smother. The air filter was filthy and smelled of gas. 20151123_103831.jpg Thanks everybody for your input :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts