Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
This mod is outstanding and thanks for sharing. I see a business venture here.

Can see so many options from this, to cover the entire bed for top storage and a bed covering, and can even add side supports for extra stability

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Most people probably dont need to carry a spare, but could be shelter for a dog and work as a cargo rack also. Could easily be made detachable. It is very solid as is, might add kickers if you bring it out further. I use old street signs for many things, a very durable light weight material, makes a good roof...

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is a great solution. I have an 2020 x4 and was foolish to believe all I needed was a spare tube and tire irons. I was on a very technical trail and ended up getting a small hole in my sidewall. Learned that there was no way I could break the tire bead. Luckily the leak was slow and I had an air pump. It took me a couple hours of adding air every 2 miles to get back to the truck. I looked at many options including OEM bumper mount. This option is very heavy and decided against it. So I purchased a receiver hitch tire mount on Amazon for around $90 and also bought an anti rattle device. Well turns out the tire mount was not long enough as the receiver on wolverine is pretty far forward from rear of machine. Long story short I ended up buying a double hitch accessory from harbor freight, which extends the length back about 8" and also raises it up. So after spending much time and some money I found an aftermarket mount that can attach with either an 1 1/2" or 2" bar clamp. They are short, light and run about $150. It will be my next purchase and will mount on roll bar on upper left/rear corner. Notice in photo that there are two anti rattle devices and the length out the back is still going to create problems on technical terrain. IMG_1093.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For most people a spare probably isn't necessary, I've learned the hard way to be prepared. Our day trips usually take us 60 / 80 miles from the truck in terrain you cant get to with a truck and trailer. We camp out of our SxS regularly, sometimes as much as 7-10 days at a time in Baja, and will often be several hundred miles from our trucks. We carry lots of gear and have often needed it. Our group all have HAM radios in our rigs, and on extended trips a portable repeater. Good communications can be a life saver, learned that the hard way too...sorry to ramble, I'm in California, smoke and Corona starting to wear on me...As info, an old VW jack works well for most SxS...Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,462 Posts
For most people a spare probably isn't necessary, I've learned the hard way to be prepared. Our day trips usually take us 60 / 80 miles from the truck in terrain you cant get to with a truck and trailer. We camp out of our SxS regularly, sometimes as much as 7-10 days at a time in Baja, and will often be several hundred miles from our trucks. We carry lots of gear and have often needed it. Our group all have HAM radios in our rigs, and on extended trips a portable repeater. Good communications can be a life saver, learned that the hard way too...sorry to ramble, I'm in California, smoke and Corona starting to wear on me...As info, an old VW jack works well for most SxS...Ride Safe!
A Patch Kit is whats necessary whereas a tire is optional on a Rim!!!

Why would you think or even want to unmount and mount a tire in the field/trail etc. Who gave you that idea. You wouldn't do it on a car. Any spare is going to be filthy with dust with the open carcass. The flat tire likely also very dirty. A good seal is extremely unlikely and would have to be redone I am sure. A patch kit with 6 cords and the insertion tools is all you need. Some come with rubber glue but most don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree, for most a patch kit and compressor will be fine. I always have those with me in addition to a mounted spare. Some tire damage cant be plugged. All of my group carry spares because of the terrain we ride in. Most of these are RZRs and can share spares, I'm on my own as the only Yamaha in the group. Take Care...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts