Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know only a couple of guys here broke a CV joint/axle out on the trail. I'm going on a big ride end of this month to the Rubicon Trail, and was wonder if I should carry a spare axle... It would suck if I broke out there. I carry a spare tie rod, tire, and belt. So the question is do any of you carry a spare axle?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I've broke my fair share... On a trail like the Rubicon I say yes carry a spare even tho they are heavy. If you buy Rhino brand spares just make sure they engage into the front diff before having to rely on them out on the trail. I had to grind both of my front Rhino's down to get them too fit... Long story but I do have a thread on here about it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I have only broke 3 front axles so far (2 OEM and 1 cheap aftermarket). I also have a bent left rear and a twisted boot on the right rear but both of them just keep chugging along. Other than the fitment issue up front the Rhinos have done great and I have pushed them pretty hard. The weak point on the front axles is when you are in diff lock, reverse, and wheel locked one direction or the other.

I play in some nasty rocks and hills which is what it looks like you have your rig set up for so I say you'll be glad you had spares.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UGH! Ok thanks! I'm ordering one front and one rear RHINO axle. I'm going to hate to carry the extra weight in my already overloaded bed. LOL
I just noticed you have "UNI air filter" on your list of mods, Is it the shorty filter that clamps directly on the throttle body, I have one, just haven't installed it yet. If so, did you feel any HP gains?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
lol, yah the weight is why I leave them at camp most of the time. Like I said just make sure the front will engage. I am not the only one who has had this issue. I have had a few guys PM me with the same exact issue. It is an easy modification if it doesn't fit though. I have a feeling there are guys out there that are running the Rhinos and do not even realize they are not actually engaged.

No, I Just have the stock replacement UNI filter that slips over the stock cage. Let me know how the shorty works out for you though. I thought about trying one

Reactions: gixxer7fitty

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't need to carry them in the bed – You are overlooking a great big storage location - The one under the drivers side seat. In my rhino I was able to carry tools, spare parts, jump box, compressor, jack, all my recovery gear, spare fluids for my ride, food, water and a extra jacket The same amount of space is available under the wolverine seat its just harder to access. The rhino had a 10”x14” hole to access not a 7” hole. Because the Yamaha under seat box does not utilize most of the room (and I don't need it to be water proof) I am going to build a box under the seat and cut the top whole as large as possible. You probably don't have enough time to fab a box under the seat before your Rubicon trip but you can zip-tie the axles to the frame under the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
^ That is a great idea! I thought about that when I had it all apart but never put any more thought into it after that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrDwig have you broke a Rhino Axle? Are those the strongest you've found?
I just broke all 4 OEM axles (CV's crumbled) on the Rubicon trail... and a belt. Not fun! Actually the experience was fun...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Have not broke a Rhino yet...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Man, how in the heck did you manage to do that???? Especially the BELT??
The belt started slipping and making loud squelching noise. Finally just quit on me. Had to change on the trail. As far as CV joints, the trail is very Gnarly and extreme! I was slow crawling the whole time. The CV's just couldn't take it. The L/R broke first. Then the R/F broke. It was hard climbing after that as the car wanted to spin out counter clockwise. Then the L/R broke, drove with only L/F wheel drive and getting towed when needed. It sucked... Can't wait for redemption with some HD axles!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.