Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is my first exp w a side by side, I was amazed at how noisy they are when riding. Wife and I could barely hear each other fr the engine noise. So I got thinking and came up w this idea. $25 roll of soft flooring cushion ( cant remember the name). Similar to the stuff you lay on the garage floor at ur bench.

Stripped out all seats and side panel, lifted the back rubber curtain, and filled inside the arm rest and inside the cab where the armrest sits. I was joping for asmall improvement...but I got waaaay better results than expected. Really please with the noise reduction. Water resistant too. Used buytl tape to secure.

Hopefully pics turn out....stand by

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I keep thinking about doing something like that to the roof too. Like on my tractor the roof would reflect all the sound right back at me. I put rubber matting on the roof and the tractor is much quieter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And upsidedown again....��

Can anyone shed some light as to why my attachments are uploading upsidedown?

I'm using my cell to take the pics, and uploading them using the attachment icon on the sight. Maybe I should just start using photobucket. Shouldn't have to though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have had nothing but trouble try to get my album posted. Epic wolverine told me exactly how to do it and he was correct. I got the photos in the album and next day they weren't there anymore what the hell? But it's no suprise my computer fights me as well when it comes to my go pro videos .

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wonder if automotive sound proofing mat would work. Back in the car audio days it was calle dynamat and sound bread

·
Registered
718 Posts
And upsidedown again....��

Can anyone shed some light as to why my attachments are uploading upsidedown?

I'm using my cell to take the pics, and uploading them using the attachment icon on the sight. Maybe I should just start using photobucket. Shouldn't have to though.
I think it depends on what device you are viewing the post on. I've seen plenty of upside down pics when readin on a computer, but they're all good when I'm on my iPad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Since this is my first exp w a side by side, I was amazed at how noisy they are when riding. Wife and I could barely hear each other fr the engine noise. So I got thinking and came up w this idea. $25 roll of soft flooring cushion ( cant remember the name). Similar to the stuff you lay on the garage floor at ur bench.

Stripped out all seats and side panel, lifted the back rubber curtain, and filled inside the arm rest and inside the cab where the armrest sits. I was joping for asmall improvement...but I got waaaay better results than expected. Really please with the noise reduction. Water resistant too. Used buytl tape to secure.

Hopefully pics turn out....stand by
Very innovative idea. Really impressive. You wouldn't happen to have before and after sound clips from inside the cab would you?

There is sound dampening carpet in the wheel wells of my Sierra, I wonder if I can buy that stuff or the sound mat that TRev was talking about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have any actual sound clips of b4 and after. But I can certainly hear a huge diff when idling, driving asphalt, and trails. We can speak normally to each other now...or maybe a bit above normal depending on speeds, but it was a massive gain for $25 and an afternoon with scissors and butyl tape. I looked at the dynamat option that TRev spoke about, but it was crazy expensive. Plus this matting I bought is water proof and easily cleaned.

Im going to do the inside of my roof aswell. Deeyoh mentioned that idea w his tractor. Since I have the Defender full enclosure, I want it as quiet as I can when two of us are in it.....or just me as I like to talk to myself....lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where can I get a roll of that stuff? Is it spongy and does it retain water? I would be worried about it corroding any metal it touched if it held water. Does it reduce the CVT whining?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
It comes in squares too, I bought about 30 cases of it 5 years ago on Black Friday...I use it for everything now, standing on in garage, kneeling and laying on under the trucks for oil changes, in the garden pulling weeds, etc. It is definitely water proof, and doesn't seem to saturate much at all if left in water for extended times. You can buy it at sears, harbor freight, probably any home stores like depot or lowes.Usually in like 24' x24' squares. I have seen someone else do the same thing on their wolvy...now was it here or JBS?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stuff I bought came in a roll probably 4' x 6'. I theough out the packaging. But yeah...same material as the square pieces that interlock. This roll was around 1/4" thick and said water resistant and noise reduction on label .I found it in the paint section at Home Depot. I like the roll as you can simply use scissors the cut any size you need. The section behind the seats between the roll cage and box has a rubber liner. I rolled up that liner and padded the whole section with one piece..then rolled the rubber back down.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
The stuff I bought came in a roll probably 4' x 6'. I theough out the packaging. But yeah...same material as the square pieces that interlock. This roll was around 1/4" thick and said water resistant and noise reduction on label .I found it in the paint section at Home Depot. I like the roll as you can simply use scissors the cut any size you need. The section behind the seats between the roll cage and box has a rubber liner. I rolled up that liner and padded the whole section with one piece..then rolled the rubber back down.
You have a picture of that rubber liner? I don't see any rubber liner on mine behind the seats. Just 2 little rubber grommets that go around the rollbars.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts