Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I will try to make this as short as I can but don't know if it will happen. To start off I am a Yamaha man , I have owned several of them through the year as of right now I have four Yamaha atvs in my garage . I like Yamaha . I am now looking in getting a side by side and have had my eye on this Wolverine R spec. I have kept up with this forum seeing all the likes and dislikes about the bike. I like what it has to offer it is a play and work side by side . The guys I ride with all have RZR and boy do they look awesome . There is also another guy who has a Maverick it to is a pretty cool machine . The problem for me is that I want to use mine to hunt also and both those machines to really work for that . I don't want to get into the reliability conversation about each machine because I really believe that is a personal preference thing (the Ford , Chevy, Dodge argument ). The BIG problem I am having about the Wolverine is the 700cc motor. Everything I have ready says it a lot better motor more powerful great design. I just don't understand why a 700 . Everyone else has a 1000cc motor . Even Honda put a 100cc motor in their Pioneer . We are talking 300 cc difference in almost everything out there .Now with that being said I am driving 450 bikes so a 700 cc bike is way more than I have right now. Now my go fast days are over and most of the riding I do is putt putting around. But I do still play in the Mud and of course that comes with bigger tires lifts and other stuff to start putting stress on the motor . I see the RZR and Maverick guys jump out of the mud holes with great ground clearance and motor to spare . Now Polaris is coming out with the General and just based on what I have seen I wish it was the bike Yamaha would have built.

So those of you who have bought a Wolverine added the 28" tires and stuff is it enough bike . Does it have enough a$$ end once all the stuff us guys put on them . Do you think Yamaha will come out soon with a 900 or 1000cc Wolverine should I wait , and no the YFZ1000 is not what I am looking for . Again I am not looking for a speedster but every maker has passed the 700cc and the norm is the 1000. Hope to get some feed back to see what people think .

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
If you're looking for something that will go thru mud I'd put the wolverine up against almost anything. Put that thing in low range and lock the diff it takes a lot to get it stuck. My buddy has a stock 900 rzr and yeah he kills me on the straights but I've had to pull him out of a good number of mud holes that I had just drove thru myself. Sure you can't hit the mud as hard and don't have as much power when you get in it, but I feel a true 4WD makes up for that

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cant really comment on the Poos and Bombies except for they do look great and have lots of power. I can say this though. Today my older brother tried my Wolverine for the first time. He s been riding dirtbikes , AC sleds and wheelers for over 40 yrs. He loves power and and has always been a spd demon...he is also very particular about his toys. He drove my sxs through some hard packed trails today and was very surprised at the power of the Wolverine..but what impressed him most was when he was driving through a large soppy muddy rutted soft feild, he never had to put the bike into 4wd. Then when he decided to try the 4wd, be noticed the 4wDiff selector. He was completely impressed while going through a huge washed out mud hole in 4 low w the Diff Lock on. Bone stock w stock 26's.

I think you'd be happy w the 700

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
It does have plenty of motor for trails and mudding. Big power comes big repairs when you hammer down and it gets in a bind. The wolverine has plenty of power to make the front torque limiter slip if it gets bound up. Great safety feature that's saved my axles for sure when climbing hard or coming out of a mud hole and it hits the hard bottom.

Some things to look at also are gas mileage and cost of ownership. NO it doesn't have the cool factor for 1000 cc motor but it's no slouch for sure. Even in the YXZ, I couldn't lose the Wolverine with my brother in law driving. Was going pretty good and he was right there the whole time.. he would drop back on long straights but when I slowed for any turns there he comes hauling it. You can only go so fast through trails safely anyway. I always slow for blind turns.. seen way to many head on's to just keep it nailed.

Matter of fact, my buddy in his Wolverine last weekend had a new Rincon meet his front bumper and bent his drivers side tierod. Both coming up a hill and met at the top. He stopped but 4 wheeler couldn't and nailed him. No one was hurt but you never can tell if someone is lost and going the wrong way on a trail if they are marked. It's a huge risk if they aren't. This was marked as a 2 way trail btw.

Now with all that being said. There is some wild rumors that Yamaha will be releasing a sport trail model to be the trail counterpart to the YXZ1000R.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Every machine has it's pro's and cons. I felt like you answered your own question when you said that you're not a speedster, and also that you are a Yamaha man. Top end on a stock wolverine is right around 53mph. The real question is why would you want a 1000cc machine, when the intended riding conditions for this bike are closer to 15-35mph on rugged trails. Don't ever buy a UTV based on what your friends think/have. You need to decide what type of riding/work you do the majority of the time, and pick the machine that will handle those type of conditions. My brother has a can-am outlander limited ATV, and I can easily handle the mud better with the wolverine with 300 less cc's. Off-road riding isn't a who's bigger contest, it's about having fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
HP numbers never tell the truth for actual power to the ground. Heck, you can take an old 35 HP farm tractor and outdue those 1000cc UTV's, it's about gearing, transmission, and tires getting power to the ground.

I'm staying with dependability, true diff lock, comfort, and the best transmission in the UTV/ATV business.

Reactions: TINKEN

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I manufacture parts for Razors, so I favor the purchase of them. But I would much rather have a Wolverine than a Razor or YXZ. I was dusted out twice by a YXZ out here in the desert last week. But every time I headed up or down a rocky hill, the YXZ had to go around. I went down a 200 foot waterfall and even the Razors turned around and went back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies still keep them coming if you have them . Here is my deal with the 1000cc motor which no one can deny. The industry standard is 1000cc . Polaris , Can am , Honda and even Kawasaki has a 800cc side by side, and I am not just talking about the sports side by sides . Its hard to believe that Yamaha would come out with a 700cc that was an industry standard in 2008. with that being said the aftermarket companies tend to follow the trend and produce for does bikes . To this point and I know the bike is still fairly new but not to many companies have jumped on the Wolverine band wagon yet . for those of you who have the Wolverine have you put the big rims and tires on yet and how did it effect the bike. Did you have to put a clutch kit to compensate . Like I said I like the bike I definitely like the price , just want to be a 100% sure that I get what I want. Something I can make my own with aftermarket parts to support it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only thing I can say is that I have yet to negotiate anything where lack of power was a issue. I am running 28x10x14's on all four corners!

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Yamaha NEVER FOLLOWS the industry standard, especially with snowmobiles and ATV's. They build something reliable and stay with it for many years and only a few minor updates between new models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts