Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got say , being a former rhino
Owner for 4 years and 7000 miles. It was a great little machine. Built like a tank, so when I started looking for a new bike I was interested in a comander can am, lot of incentives to buy one , high hp, local dealer, 1500$ rebate. But after extensive research. The results showed they were no were near Yamaha quality and even a damn plastic roof was an extra 500$. And upgraded suspension was an extra 2,400$. And no skid plates. "What a joke I thought " so I went back to my roots and researched the new wolverine and low and behold it was excactly what I was looking for. But the closest dealer was 150 miles away. But so well with getting a machine that you can depend on when your 20 miles out in BFE. So far Iv had it a month. And got about 10 hours on it. But just got say. I'm so happy with it. It's every thing I'd was looking to have out of a goof side by side. Very comfortable, quite, plenty of power , "unless you are wanting to throw 50 foot rooster tails at the sand dunes. " then you need to spend 20k+ and get the bikes made for that ". No cab heat. Awesome suspension , and the best of" that peice of mind your in a Yamaha when your 20 miles out in BFE. Can't beat it for the price ., hands down!!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Loving it.........another 59 miles in the snow and ice today. It was in the teens so it was a bit chilly with only the wind deflector but was a great ride. Reached over 21 hours and about 250 miles on the odometer today.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear. The machine are built so well. It makes for boring forums. Lol

Reactions: Ryder

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea that console lid. Is rediculously cheap haha!!, I can't really think of any thing els but Iv only had it for 50 miles or so. The 4 by4 switch could be relocated to the right side

·
Registered
93 Posts
I to owned 2 Rhinos a 450 and a 660 , enjoyed them but the Wolverine is a huge step forward. I have extensive back issues and have had three surgeries couldn't hardly ride Rhinos anymore, bought the Wolverine and never looked back the ride is so much better, got power steering ( which I almost didn't because the additional cost) but thrilled I did can drive with one hand and that definitely helps back! I think it's the best thing I've bought in a long time! My only complaint would be the low doors .

·
Registered
385 Posts
I now have 1600 miles on mine and I absolutely love it. I have bolted so many accessory's on it, I have dam near $18,500.00 in it, still going to get PC5 From Hunterworks.
OH I'm still going to do entire clutch upgrade thing. $20,000.00 TOTAL... But like the one guy on here's tag line YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE TAG ON FUN.. :cool:

Reactions: Bert and atkbike

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
But like the one guy on here's tag line YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE TAG ON FUN.. :cool:
Or like I've seen on a snowmobile forum, "Stock out of the box, I'm just not saying how many boxes."

Reactions: TRev

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
every time I ever mod something it gives me nothing but trouble after that. "Prolly just my luck ". So she is staying factory stock. Until something breaks. And need to upgrade. I'm really just happy with the way it performs as is. It seems like people don't like the doors on em'. But I haven't found the reason why wet. My buddy has a ranger with high doors. And it seems like there is never any fresh air flowing threw the cab. And my
Legs are always hot. Out here in AZ. You need all the circulation you can get with the air. So far I'm ok with the low cut doors. Maybe for you Guys in the woods or were its cold it's a different story!!

Reactions: Ryder and MORSNO

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I think the guys that like to play in the mud have the biggest door complaints.

Where do you ride in Az Bert?

Reactions: atkbike

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
The Wolverines are all around pretty nice in their stock form. Minor fueling and clutching upgrades really makes them superior to much of the other UTV's on the market, in my opinion it is the best product that Yamaha currently manufactures.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Safford area , that's were I live. Sometimes out by Tombstone also . There are endless trails out here of any type of riding a guy could wann do. . Rock climbing , hot well sand dunes are
Only 20 miles away, creek riding. I'm. Going to tow it up to MT Graham ,next weekend
And pull a sled around with some kids. Just to get some snow riding in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love the Wolverine. Have non-eps.

Bought it on Jan. 8. After playing on it for 2 days with family, it went straight into the woods.

The bad:

It's a mud slinger over 5-7mph. This isn't a problem, because we just put put around, however if I was running late to get to my deer stand, it would sling a little mud on me and my gun.

It was a bit louder than I thought. Once I changed the oil, it seems to have dampened the noise quite a bit.

The belt squeal between 32-37mph was nearly unbearable in that it would have probably given me a headache if held at that speed for 5 minutes or more. After about 200miles, the squeal is there, but the volume has gone down considerably, so it's a non-issue.

Oil Change - The factory put the filter on too tight. Dang near couldn't get it off, and was nearly to the point of having to drive a screw driver through it. Should be good now. However, I do suggest any new owners to go ahead and change the oil before you get too many miles to be sure you don't have this issue. I was about ready to shoot the damn thing.

The Good:

Man, this thing rides like a cadillac with stock suspension settings. We keep our hunting roads pretty clean, and don't rut it up much. However, we do get some spots that rut pretty bad - mainly from the heavier sxs's going through them. While some of the sxs's and 4 wheelers we have began getting stuck in these spots, the wolverine just idled through them no problem (stock tires).

I love the power and speed this thing has, and while I believe 53mph top end is more than enough, I like it, and the only reason I'd want it to go faster would be for the sake of being able to say, "yeah, this baby hits 60mph no problem."

A little side story from a few weeks ago (I had owned this thing for a total of 10 days):

Part of our land has flooded, because of the ms river & the rain. We were tipping around one night, and I had forgotten the west end was under water (but going down). We rounded the curve to a big water hole (normally dry). I couldn't really see land on the other side (about 50 yards), however my drunk passenger swore he could see it, GO MAN, GO !!! I said, man, I dunno, you sure you see land over there, cuz I don't see it. Yeah Man !! Go !!

So I eased forward with the idea that if it seemed like it was going to be too deep for my liking, I could back out. TOO LATE, there was only 1 option: FLOOR IT. The water was just over the tires at that point and getting deeper fast. My buddy is hootin' and hollerin' having a blast, I'm gritting my teeth hoping there's land ahead.

BOOM!! Lights go under water. I CAN'T SEE SH!T. Legs are wet midway up to my knees, and this buggy is still rolling, and I believe the front end was floating a bit.

We finally hit the up-slope of the hole, the front tires touched down, the lights emerged from underwater, and she tore out of there no problem.

Let me tell you, I believe this thing can go damn near anywhere. I'll never intentionally put the wolverine in a hole like that, however, it gives me a lot of confidence in the event that I accidentally run through something like that again.

Hell of a rush, my friends.

Currently have 354 miles & 52.8 Hours on the machine. The first 30 or so miles were on road/gravel playing around at various speeds, the next 200 were in the woods running 5-7mph. I put approximately 41 hours & 230 miles on it in the woods. The remaining miles were riding around site seeing on the Mississippi river levee anywhere from 20-40mph the past few days.

Anyways, highly recommend the Wolverine for anyone that's looking for a hunting, work, play combination. I just don't see how anything can beat it, especially with Yamaha reliability standing behind it.

Wolverine Rspec.jpg Wolverine Rspec - IceHouse.jpg Wolverine Rspec - MS Levee.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
30mi on it so far....had to turn up the high speed compression a little as some of my trails are rutted up a bit...but we ride semi spirited so I needed to stiffen up the action a bit. Other than that.....it's stable as hell, cadillac comfy, roomy, quieter than a Teryx, and climbs up anything I've thrown at it. This weekend I'll be going out on a ride with a few Rzr's and atv's....I'll be the Lone Wolverine there lol. 20160214_160511.jpg 20160214_160454.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Redleg i was last week at the biggest utv reunion in my part of the world wich is in Quebec .. 300 utv and side by side and in the side by side section . over 200 bikes 2 rhinos (including me ) and 0 wolverine. So i am really anxious to get to the next one with the SE model...wich i will do when the Rhino is sold.

how do like the wolverine at high speed regarding the noise level. its about the last thing that i am ckecking ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sticks to the trails like on rails at high speed. I went 2 clicks up on the suspension all the way around compression and rebound. Just because I like to haul ass with to people in it. And hit the sand dunes. I may play with the pre load a bit. Good to see these thing can Handel some deep water also.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts