Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Snow Plow

16K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  ak0904 
#1 ·
I have the X4 XT-R and I'm looking for recommendations for a snow plow for it. It will be for partial concrete but mostly gravel. Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Well I can't specify a brand but say for certain you want a Steel blade Not a Poly setup!!! I currently plow with my ATV and use a Warn blade setup, Provantage I believe. There are some quick connect makes you might want to look at. I would if doing it again. You need the weight of the blade as there is no down pressure like a normal plow truck would have. I set the pads on the ends of the plow to minimize gravel gathering. Its all gravel and irregular road.

I have to wonder with the CVT thread heating up and rollers how capable these are for plowing. There is no real speed acquired when plowing, stops and reverse etc with pressure on the belt when stopping is still in the channel. Common in fully tensioned CVT's.

Reactions: KeithStone76
#28 ·
Is the reason for steel over poly due to its greater weight? I'm about to order a KFI set-up for my X2 and advice would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Some ATV ones were not very high and easily have slow flow over top so comparing the blade height is also important. Steel plow with steel wear bar with half decent height and as the Denali above, 72" for sure since plow using the blade angled to spill the snow resulting in a narrower plowed width. Fully angled results in an equiv of 60" clearing hypothetically as the angle increases.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Having rubber scrapping the ground don't cut it on gravel at all. You'd go through quite a few in the season for sure.

#7 ·
Just shows you don't know anything. Used the same horse mat 3/4" all winter. Go ahead and use a blade and shoes and see how well that works out for you on gravel. LMFAO.

#11 ·
Well I can say and DO SAY neither do you KNOW ANYTHING.

I've been plowing for a very long time heavy slush and ice especially on grave dirt surfaces are NOT going to move an all. Blade will lift on flip over and done. An edge of steel guarantees you're move if at all possible what it engages. It angled towards the what needs plowing and not beveled the other way to slide of and it will slide over as the weight has not blade down pressure to keep it engaged.

Dumm Ass Idea if I ever heard one know one I've see ever use it. I'd never recommend it.
Might work in fluffy powered and light snow fall but not in the real world.

Check with others and dealer you can rely on.

Done get sucked in by this!!

#13 ·
OK boys, you got yer licks in, either let it be or I have to lock it down.

#14 · (Edited)
I use my garden tractor to plow. 60” steel as you need the weight. I too use 3/4 horse stall mat as the scraper/wear bar. I’m not using it on gravel but a large paved driveway. It cleans the surface better dosent gouge or damage the grass as much. So far I have had it on their since 2013. I just rotated it to the other side last season. I can’t speak to gravel but horse stall mat is some heavy duty stuff. You can’t just cut it with a razor knife. You have to use a saw. I use my hole drill for studding snowmobile tracks to make the holes for the bolt pattern. It was a trick a old timer passed down to me. I have horse stall mat in front of my work benches so when ever I need a new piece I’ll just cut a new one off. Lol

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I use my garden tractor to plow. 60” steel as you need the weight. I too use 3/4 horse stall mat as the scraper/wear bar. I’m not using it on gravel but a large paved driveway. It cleans the surface better doesn't gouge or damage the grass as much. So far I have had it on their since 2013. I just rotated it to the other side last season. I can’t speak to gravel but horse stall mat is some heavy duty stuff. You can’t just cut it with a razor knife. You have to use a saw. I use my hole drill for studding snowmobile tracks to make the holes for the bolt pattern. It was a trick a old timer passed down to me. I have horse stall mat in front of my work benches so when ever I need a new piece I’ll just cut a new one off. Lol
I can see the sweeping of the belt would clean a virgin smooth driveway very well as long as it only snow and soft. Ice, packed from driving over an number of times would not go so well. There maybe a place for using them but not everyone and not by default going that way for sure.

As for gouging everyone with a steel blade as well as the Koplin would have a pad or saddle whatever its called. Its to be adjusted to control how low the blade goes. I typically go a finger width or a bit more, shims under the blade and set them. Before SxS we were plow long stretch with some miles (others in the Nyroc ATV forum) with our big Kingquad 700 & 750 setups. Here my yard driving area has over 20 tons of stone I have covered over the earth over a few years and not dead level. I plow this all out and onto the front lawn area where I have enough space to pile it out of the way.

I also plow the dirt/small grave lane way which give access to me and two other properties to their driveways. This lane way was destroyed by farm tractors, combines, grain trailer loaded going up down and as irregular as one can image. Three lower areas fill will water in heavy rains from run off of bush/field areas back up the road. It a private road owned by the farm land owners. When it fill if three wasn't a lake across the road I'd have Canada geese in it for sure. Nothing short of hard steel will endure as the pads do nothing along this stretch ~ 500ft or so. I also plow a seniors driveway across the road with is quite smooth gravel and parking area so the Meals On Wheels and Help vehicle and get out when assisting her. She no longer has a drivers license and pretty much confined in bad weather.

I CONCEED TO InfidelMT THERE LIKELY ARE THOSE WHO MAY GET BETTER RESULTS WITH THAT. Not for everyone for sure. As there are many options in plow setups let to regress to the Blade and Plow mount pro's & con's further on here.

Cheers I am good and go riled a bit too much but this is another day but don't want Snow either.

Good to go!!

EDIT: Big Grizzly ATV's likely doing the same thing for over a decade as the Kingquad 700 came out in 2005 which I had.

Reactions: Wolvie Hunter
#16 · (Edited)
I had my dealer install a 72” snow plow on mine when I bought it new. KFI I think. It works pretty darned good. I don’t plow on gravel so i won’t comment on that topic.

I do have a couple other suggestions though:
1). I installed a couple of those high-vis plow markers on the corner of the plow. It really helps give me a better idea of where the ends of the plow are and I hit less stuff with it now. LOL.
2). When I lift the plow up it blocks the headlights. I installed a roof mounted LED light bar. It helps a ton when plowing in the dark.
3). This one is a little tougher. The standard winch speed if very fast for plow work. It caused the plow (and SXS) to bounce up/down pretty good. It helps tremendously if you can add a Pulley system to cut the up/down speed in half. It also allows you to be a little more delicate in setting the plow down. I looked for a long time and couldn’t find anything that fit my particular plow bracket. I ended up buying the pulley, a strap that attaches it to the bumper and a short synthetic winch rope, and had a custom steel bracket fabricated. It bolts to the plow bracket and the pulley bolts through it. For me it was a game-changer.

With all this talk about plows I’m looking forward to using it again this winte.

#19 ·
Looks good for the serious plowing requirements for sure.

Reactions: 1slo_CR
#21 ·
The blade and spring area is the same as mine and slight difference in the push tube as well as pins to the mount plate I have as well. It requires crawling under and fussing to align both sides. I am not inclined to remove it until I know the last of winter is gone.

#22 ·
I have essentially the same situation asthe OP. Mostly gravel and a bit of concrete.

I have a KFI 4500lbs winch with synthetic cable and the SuperATV 72" plow. See this thread for more detail and plenty of pictures. https://www.wolverineforums.com/#/topics/27846?page=1

I agree, you have to have a pulley in line to slow it down. A short winch rope would slow it down a little as the radius is effectively smaller, but the pulley cuts you down by half and I find it just right with my setup.

Lots of heated discussion about the horse stall matt haha.

I can tell you from my experience, I wouldn't plow without it. I can push from concrete to gravel and into the grass without tearing up my grass or leaving huge piles of gravel to clean up in the spring. The shoes that come with the plows are junk for gravel. I tried them. I ended up pushing just as much gravel, AND left two nice trenches where the shoes were. The mat really squeegees the concrete well. BUT, I do try to clean it up before there is much traffic over it. I would imagine if it got packed by a vehicle, then froze on the concrete, it wouldn't come off as easy. My father in law uses a metal blade and his does the exact same thing. His driveway is a concrete apron, then pavement and not quite even, so the metal blade misses spots. I think the rubber would work well for him also as it can flex a bit. The rubber is pointing forward so the forward movement pages it under. So the whole time you are plowing it, the springyness is trying to lift the snow. As for the weight, the poly blades are usually heavier. I went with metal though because of cost.

By far the best additions I made were the horse stall mat and the pulley. I also use a heavy duty carabiner. I can have the plow on or off in 45 seconds if I try.

That thread above pretty much covers what you are after, but if I can be of any more help, please let me know.

I'm actually a little excited for more snow to push around too.

As a bonus, I used the Super ATV plow mount, and built a trash can hauler. See this thread.

https://www.wolverineforums.com/#/topics/28938

#23 ·
Also to note, I had about a week at work last year when I was plow shopping with absolutely nothing going on for 10 hours a day. I read about every one they made for the X2 at the time and the pros and cons of each. The SuperATV was the clear winner to me. And as a bonus, I had to deal with their customer service on a couple things and they were really great to deal with.

#24 ·
I used a HD rubber add on scraper on my plow on my first Rhino and it worked great. Had a lot of sidewalk to plow and the rubber all but eliminated the hard stops caused by the impact of steel on concrete that was uneven. Airports in snow area's use rubber blades on their 20 ft plows to reduce damage to runway lights.

#25 ·
Here's a pic of mine from last winter after a decent snowfall:

And a warm weather pic:

I now have a roof mounted light bar that really helps a lot.

#26 ·
My Moose 72" plow works great and is easy on and off. The frame bracket on the machine is well thought out and easy to connect. Wow what a BOSS plow ! Is that electric over hydraulic?

#27 ·
Wow what a BOSS plow ! Is that electric over hydraulic?
Yup. It's the same controller as the full-size truck model, same curb guards, can backdrag snow from a garage door far enough out to get turned around and push the rest out, literally a smaller BOSS XT.

I run a roof mounted 42" curved and a 12" plow mounted LED. I think a windshield (low mount) 50" curved would work better in the heavy snow falls we get up here in MN, but still much better than the OEM lights.

Attachments

#29 ·
Yes, IMO heavier is going to be better. Especially if you need scrapping ability, slush, packed snow and icy Windrows from plows etc. Steel is steel and even if bent a bit etc can be straighten, repaired and doesn't crack. Even though I am heavy with a steel one it still will climb over hard patches or clumps if it can't bite at the edge.

The poly likely ok for power light paved driveways where a shovel equiv will do but thats not the real world.

#35 ·
Well, I for one plowed a fair bit of gravel this year. I could see it in the piles of snow each time form certain areas. Bummer, I am going to have to rake it out in the spring.

I may have to concede to this solution on my smaller plow. The shoes are set about 1/2" space but no more than 5/8" lift. Otherwise I leave too much snow. How much do you over lap the blade with the matt assuming you're bolting it where the steel bar currently is.

Edit: Will have to watch for a deal. Horse matt 5 x 7ft is $110 here. I'll rake until a good deal appears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.