Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Yep Murphy was there but missed. You're luck and proof that it can happen in the real world.

Reactions: robert.w.smith.76

·
Registered
754 Posts
Where did you pick up the plug? Any specifics would be great. I put a hose clamp on mine but double coverage sounds like a good idea if you are careful measuring your oil during changes and don’t overfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They had a bin of them at work all different sizes. Not sure who it's made by. Yeah I wanted to be double protected. lol. Just find any type plug and jam it in. Probably would have been fine with a hose clamp but wanted to make sure. I do my own oil changes and it's 3.5qts max with oil filter. Never had a problem or any oil in my intake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just checked my 2020 after reading this post and mine still has the flimsy wire clamp on it, I'll be putting a better clamp on today.!
My 2020 had the flimsy clamp as well; replaced it with a hose clamp.

·
Registered
905 Posts
B139CE43-270E-4EA2-8152-BB01EBFBE066.jpeg CA920669-AF5C-46EE-85F6-C17B486F3E0C.jpeg

Mine had the flimsy clamp also. I was out for a ride yesterday when I started thinking about this thread. I was in water up to the seat. Glad my plug was still in place. I just got in from the garage. Now I have a hose clamp installed.

Thanks so much for this information.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1st post updated with new style clamp that Yamaha is using on the air intake visual inspection tube/drain

Anyone know what size this new style clamps is? Im not a big fan of the hose clamps because sometimes I've seen them not maintain their round shape. For now I've just turned The factory flimsy clamp so the ears are on teh top side until i fint the clamp i want.

·
Registered
658 Posts
A SS hose clamp that size will not distort. I did also add some RTV silicone as well as backup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've seen oil in there if it was overfilled. Have you had a recent oil change?

·
Registered
658 Posts
From the treads I’ve dug up on this seems like a common issue and would assume maybe my dealership over filled oil..glad i know about this thanks to all the great help here at the forums!

Yup and they aren't even torque so water will get in ... Might want to tighten them all up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
From the treads I’ve dug up on this seems like a common issue and would assume maybe my dealership over filled oil..glad i know about this thanks to all the great help here at the forums!
The check oil level routine is multistepped, complicated by the dry sump set up. You have to start the engine, let it warm up, then shut it down, unscrew the dipstick, clean it off then put it back into the hole - but do not screw it in, just put it in till it stops then pull it out and check the level.

Engines come from the factory with oil in them, dealer is supposed to check the level in the pre delivery check. I assume if they didn't let it warm up enough, they would get a false low oil level reading, so they "top it up" meaning it is now overfilled.

I don't know if this happened to you, just presenting a scenario that could lead to overfilling oil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OMG! So glad I read this thread!!!! I checked mine and it fell right off. What a cheesy little spring retainer..... shame on Yamaha!! Have installed a nice hose clamp on it now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
The check oil level routine is multistepped, complicated by the dry sump set up. You have to start the engine, let it warm up, then shut it down, unscrew the dipstick, clean it off then put it back into the hole - but do not screw it in, just put it in till it stops then pull it out and check the level.

Engines come from the factory with oil in them, dealer is supposed to check the level in the pre delivery check. I assume if they didn't let it warm up enough, they would get a false low oil level reading, so they "top it up" meaning it is now overfilled.

I don't know if this happened to you, just presenting a scenario that could lead to overfilling oil.
Good explanation. I’ll add (Re-iterate) that it checks different when cold vs. hot. Follow the procedure. When you change the oil it’s much easier to become comfortable because you KNOW how much you put in. Today I did my third oil change and after 3.5 quarts it was just a hair above the full mark. I checked it multiple times over multiple heat cycles in one day. So I cracked open the oil tank drain and let a little out. Repeat until I got to 85% on the dipstick. You do not want to be over on these designs or it will just collect in the air intake drain.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
A or a full cluster of hairs over isn't going to be a bad thing. Eventually before the oil change is due it will be below the full mark for a variety of reasons. Being on the low side is more of a concern.
You just waisted some good oil.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
First post updated by video done by InfidelMT

21 - 40 of 59 Posts