Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks InfidelMT for doing this video, showing the test:

I've heard of only a handful of new Yamaha SxS that didn't have the engine air intake ducting properly installed or the clear drain check hose installed. The results were that one engine ingested water and hydro-locked and the other had to be rebuilt due to dirty air.

While these instances are rare, you can do a very simple test to see if your engine air tract is sealed properly. Pop the hood off so you have access to your air filter cover and start your engine up. Next place your hand over your air intake or cover it with something flat (don't worry, you have 2 air filters to prevent them from getting ingested into your engine) and your engine should die pretty quickly. If it keeps running and you hear suction from somewhere then it's time to start a visual inspection of the entire air tract system. This is a simple 5 minute test and could save you the hassle of trying to fight a warranty claim later down the road where you didn't notice the problem in time and the dealer tries to deny it.

Here is a picture of the clear drain check hose located underneath and forward center:

Replace that flimsy tension clamp with a proper hose/worm clamp.

942236.jpg

Location of drain via parts diagram. You'll looking at #29, 30 and 31

AirIntakeDiagram.jpg

A member of my FB group has a 2020 X2 XTR and it looks like Yamaha is now putting a beefier clamp on the air intake check/drain. This should be a TSB and all prior vehicles updated, easily done by the owner.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've heard of only a handful of new Yamaha SxS that didn't have the engine air intake ducting properly installed or the clear drain check hose installed. The results were that one engine ingested water and hydro-locked and the other had to be rebuilt due to dirty air.

While these instances are rare, you can do a very simple test to see if your engine air tract is sealed properly. Pop the hood off so you have access to your air filter cover and start your engine up. Next place your hand over your air intake or cover it with something flat (don't worry, you have 2 air filters to prevent them from getting ingested into your engine) and your engine should die pretty quickly. If it keeps running and you hear suction from somewhere then it's time to start a visual inspection of the entire air tract system. This is a simply 5 minute test and could save you the hassle of trying to fight a warranty claim later down the road where you didn't notice the problem in time and the dealer tries to deny it.
This just happened to mine last weekend because the clear drain plug was missing. :zx11pissed:
Had to pull the plugs to get the water out, but fired right up afterwards.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This just happened to mine last weekend because the clear drain plug was missing. :zx11pissed:
Had to pull the plugs to get the water out, but fired right up afterwards.
I don't go in deep water often, but I'd be curious if any owners noticed their plugs in place and then falling off vs it being left off from the factory. I may either put a worm clamp on mine to replace the spring tension clamp and/or run longer piece of clear tubing to a more-convenient location. I'm also wondering if the oil buildup issue may be causing too much slipperiness and causing the plug to come off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Water was just enough to come in the bottom of the doors so it was deep enough to be sucked in the drain. I also think I will be adding a worm clamp on there shortly.

Reactions: robert.w.smith.76

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st post updated with new style clamp that Yamaha is using on the air intake visual inspection tube/drain

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I tore my machine down to clean the skid plates out on the inside, I noticed all the hose clamps on the ducts were loose and half of the bolts on the clutch cover were missing.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you have to pull all the side plastic to check this?
No, the drain is directly under the middle front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just checked mine. It is not there. Or never was. Only 16 hours on the clock.

We have a lot of long grass at the moment. I guess that might of torn it off?

A cap with a small valve might be better?

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This is what I use on mine. It's plugged then hose clamp instead of the mickey mouse clip. I don't overfill my oil or swamp it. So no need to ever look at this.

IMG-2760.jpg

IMG-2761.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where did you pick up the plug? Any specifics would be great. I put a hose clamp on mine but double coverage sounds like a good idea if you are careful measuring your oil during changes and don’t overfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
It appears (from photos and placement) that the boot can be compromised by incurring mud, branches, vegetation dragging and/or just making the right contact underneath.

Poor engineering placement of this IMO.

If it had to be on the bottom a protection plate or something is needed but I am not certain if a side accessible location would have been possible.

A RECALL issue for sure.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It appears (from photos and placement) that the boot can be compromised by incurring mud, branches, vegetation dragging and/or just making the right contact underneath.

Poor engineering placement of this IMO.

If it had to be on the bottom a protection plate or something is needed but I am not certain if a side accessible location would have been possible.

A RECALL issue for sure.
Well, a TSB would suffice. Agreed...........I'm sure on other vehicles where that flimsy clamp is used, it's not in as precarious a position as on the X2/X4. Hopefully the delay in issuing a TSB isn't: 'We've been using this same clamp for over a decade on our other models with no issues'

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well, a TSB would suffice. Agreed...........I'm sure on other vehicles where that flimsy clamp is used, it's not in as precarious a position as on the X2/X4. Hopefully the delay in issuing a TSB isn't: 'We've been using this same clamp for over a decade on our other models with no issues'
Regarding the TSB, and correct me if I’m wrong, owners aren’t notified that there is a problem to be addressed. They would have to take there machine to a reputable dealer for some other servicing and “IF” the dealer was up to snuff then they would make it right. Dealers receive TSBs all the time and aren’t even aware there in the system. I had to educate my own dealer that there was an oil consumption in TSB for the 708. Their an extremely reputable dealer but they deal in many different brands and this particular TSB wasn’t delivered to them in the system in the usual way. He had to do a little searching in the computer to find it!

This is why I think a recall is in order. ALL owners should be notified by Yamaha Corp to take their unit in and have the clamp updated or at least receive the knowledge so they can do it theirselves.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
With the right thickness or grass, a branch and/or rock lining up just right and it can hook that. Off it comes and you wouldn't know riding around enjoying yourself.

Murphy has a way of making the extremely unlikely and occurrence form my experience. Its "one upmanship" !!!
A worm clamp is an improvement, so long as something does not catch it just right and either rip it off or snap the nipple. I can't tell how much it protrudes out the hole

I know from looking at mine a few days ago. Nothing is sticking out. I do the the slid plates covering the oem chassis etc. If there is one its not accessible and cannot be validated.

Reactions: robert.w.smith.76
1 - 20 of 59 Posts