Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 30 days, OHVs will be banned in town. There is another petition that comes up in 2 weeks to keep allowing access. The town council voted 4-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well this is terrible news. Why would they vote to ban OHV's? Seems like their summer tourism relies on it.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve only been there once last summer. This seems like the easy way out. Where is the enforcement for the idiots? I have found grants that support maintenance and enforcement of the laws in Colorado. And I don’t support 7 people, although elected officials, making this decision when another petition is known to exist.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
In 30 days, OHVs will be banned in town. There is another petition that comes up in 2 weeks to keep allowing access. The town council voted 4-3.

I spoke with the chamber of commerce about two weeks ago and I was told that there will be no changes to current SXS access on designated routes until late September or early October when they hold the hearings. They did say that enforcement has been lax and they will be stepping up enforcement. Curious of where you heard your info. Not doubting you just wonder why I was told conflicting info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have been on this page for over a year. I totally trust Mr. Maxfield with this information. That’s really all he does is put out local information. The 30 days was mentioned later on in the comments.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am planning our 3rd trip to the Alpine Loop this August (we missed last years trip due to pandemic) and this throws a huge wrench into our plans. We specifically rent a house on the OHV route so we don't need to trailer to-from the trails. It also allowed us to fill up with fuel at the local gas station every day or 2. No will we need to trailer to the gas station and the trail heads every day we're there? Will there be adequate parking on trail heads for numerous trucks/trailers? What about those pulling their SXS with RV's or toybox style campers?

Unfortunately it seems the decision was made against the wishes of the town. I too follow the San Juan Mountain group on FB and find that it's usually very informative and friendly. This issue has split the off-road community based on OHV's vs licensed vehicles. Alot of jeepers and yota's saying this is a great move by the city and blaming us for the issues caused by very few people. I will admit that we did see a few people who abused the rules (mostly tricked out RZR's or CanAm's) but for the most part people were very respectful. We have already put a deposit down on our cabin for this year but going forward we'll probably go back to staying on the Lake City side of loop. Less to do in town but if they're more open to the OHV community then thats where I'll spend my $$$.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I am planning our 3rd trip to the Alpine Loop this August (we missed last years trip due to pandemic) and this throws a huge wrench into our plans. We specifically rent a house on the OHV route so we don't need to trailer to-from the trails. It also allowed us to fill up with fuel at the local gas station every day or 2. No will we need to trailer to the gas station and the trail heads every day we're there? Will there be adequate parking on trail heads for numerous trucks/trailers? What about those pulling their SXS with RV's or toybox style campers?

Unfortunately it seems the decision was made against the wishes of the town. I too follow the San Juan Mountain group on FB and find that it's usually very informative and friendly. This issue has split the off-road community based on OHV's vs licensed vehicles. Alot of jeepers and yota's saying this is a great move by the city and blaming us for the issues caused by very few people. I will admit that we did see a few people who abused the rules (mostly tricked out RZR's or CanAm's) but for the most part people were very respectful. We have already put a deposit down on our cabin for this year but going forward we'll probably go back to staying on the Lake City side of loop. Less to do in town but if they're more open to the OHV community then thats where I'll spend my $$$.
Lake city is your only viable option. I do want to mention for future reference The Wagon Wheel trail system near Meeker. Meeker is SXS friendly and boast two sections with approx. 250 mile of trails each. Granted this is not high alpine riding but I think it's worth future destination trips. The only thing that sucks about Lake City is you can't get ther from here. No real direct route. Hope you all have a great time.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Bummer! The Alpine loop is high on my list and have been considering heading there this year possibly. Silverton is only 5 1/2 hours from me too but to have to go to Lake City to not deal with headaches turn it into a 6 1/2 hour drive from me. I definitely will be following this thread. Please keep us updated.

Reactions: K9Pac0

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just called the Silverton City Hall and spoke to an admin.

OHV's will be outlawed on city streets starting June 21st. Unfortunately as of now they do not have a "staging" area anywhere near the trail heads.

Based on what I've read on FB and other forums it seems like the city's board didn't really plan this through all the way and are just throwing the rules out there and hoping to enforce them.

I used to be a big supporter of the Alpine Loop and especially Silverton. The thread below has a lot of great pictures from myself and other Wolverine owners. We have already paid deposits for our cabin this year but we will almost definitely be moving back to Lake City after this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just left silverton a week ago and didn't hear anything about it while I was there for a week. As many businesses as there are in town renting atv's I can't believe they could have gotten that passed. I can see a big downturn in their tourist dollars. All the businesses in town benefit from the alpine loop draw.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For those interested in doing the Alpine Loop this summer; the city has over turned the ruling outlawing OHV's in town. It looks like they'll re-vote on it in the fall and most likely change some of the rules for 2022 but for this year it's back to normal.

This should be a cautionary tale to the SXS/OHV community that we need to be respectful of the areas we ride in.

Reactions: K9Pac0

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great news and I hope everyone takes into account that the experiences the townspeople have with our riders will determine how tolerant they are in letting us ride within the city limits. It is awfully convenient for us to have that ability to ride right out to the trails instead of trailering out. I have been going out to the area for 35 years and it is unbelievable how much the traffic on the trails has increased and it only takes a small percentage of us to ruin it for all of us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts