Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Side by Sides are a Big Problem for our Trails! Please restrict them to 4X4 roads!!

16K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  TINKEN 
#1 ·
Now this is a message no one is going to want to hear, but here goes. I have no problem with guys using them on two track roads. In California that is legal, but please DO NOT confuse the legal status of a quad with a Side by Side!

In CA a quad must be less then 50 in wide and be a "sit on" vehicle and have handlebars. That is not a Side by Side! A SXS is limited to 4wd roads and trails and they need to stay there.

With big power and long ravel suspension a SXS is like a mini Baja car and it moves a lot of dirt. Riders are always trying to stuff their rig down quad trails and even single track motorcycle trails never intended for a SXS and it widens out and totally ruins the trail. They are turning our trail system into a road system!

So enjoy your SXS but please do not put your rig on trails that are restricted to ATV/MC. There is plenty of two track for you, so please stick to that and read and obey the signs.

Thank you!

#5 ·
In Arizona we are getting the 50 inch only signs on the narrow trails now. The sport quads can do a lot of damage. California has a lot of desert and mountain roads. California is always way behind the rest of the country with stupid restrictions. A few states allow a street legal plate for quads, side by sides, and off road motorcycles. I had a street legal plate on my 2-stroke MX bike here in Arizona. Polaris had the 50 inch wide RZR 800 out for a few years before the forest service came out with the stupid you have to sit on the engine and have handle bars. That all changed a year of so ago.

#7 ·
Right, sport quads do a lot of damage. My knees can't take it anymore and when your on a Sport Quad most go stupid fast. I sold my Yamaha Raptor 700 and Honda TRX 700 last year. Both were geared for a 75 mph top speed. I just hated to sell them but I'm too old for the high speed. Some of us never grow up and I just couldn't keep the speed down and unloading for the bumps was just killing my knees.

#12 ·
At one time I jeeped but all day and only 10 miles was just to slow and the fixin' was way to expensive for a toy. I tried Dirt bikes but a badly twisted knee and than a separated shoulder put me on the sidelines. I checked on quads and everyone I spoke with said "you will fall off a quad". Injury means loss of work. I am now old but not dead, a side by side offers a lot for me. I bought a used Polaris 800 but I was always repairing something and not cheap either. Yamaha has a reputation for dependability and they get around well. Not to hot. Not to cold, but just right.

#14 ·
Do most states not allow 50" SxS's on 50" trails?

Cali may not...but then again nothing they do surprises me. I don't see why it would be an issue. A 570/800/900 50" RZR does no more damage than a 1000cc Renegade or Sportsman. Not to mention the sport quads.

I also don't see why someone would bitch about talking a 50" machine of any type down a trail that it fits on. We have other problems besides bickering among ourselves.

#18 ·
We are our worst enemy! Its one thing to rip it up in a sand pit but to blow it out sideway on every turn in the trail is another. Got a chance to go around the mud or jump right in and make those ruts as deep as ya can? Self control starts with your self.

#19 ·
I'm thankful to live in alaska. We don't have any restrictions like that. Only thing necessary is that you register your machine if you plan to use them in state parks. We do have some places all motorized vehicles are restricted and other places are on a weekly schedule alternating non motorized use with motorized use. As long we tread lightly in places of limited use we won't have to hear these pleas.

#22 ·
I'd take this from a regular member but to sign up here and make 1 post to tell us to behave? How about you go eat a bag of d!cks.

#26 ·
This post was made 2 years ago in January 2015
The OP was a "One and done" poster from 2 years ago, who has zero credibility in my book.

#24 ·
i stand by my statement :D

Reactions: Tracen8r
#25 ·
Flint Creek ORV Trails out by my house have a 50" wide restriction, but see SXS's wider than 60" on it all the time. Most of the pass gates have trails around them. I've not taken the Wolverine on them. Don't really feel like a $500 fine. Besides, I've got around 400 acres to ride around on with enough trails and pasturelands to satisfy me.

#28 ·
When I was at Randsburg, CA last November, the Land Management has already red staked all of the motorcycle single track and most of the trails 50" and narrower. Only roads are still open. Mountain bike single track remains open, but is marked no motorized vehicles. And this is in the middle of the bare desert riddled with mine shafts. I got out of the motorcycle industry, I could see this coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.