Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main place I ride has some rocky trails that can get pretty rough. Ive added the factory front bash plate, a arm guards and rock rails to my XTR. Now I’m trying to decide if I need the undercarriage skids. Looking underneath I don’t notice any dents in the factory skids and I’ve dragged bottom and hit bottom several times crawling on these trails.
What do you guys think? Are the undercarriage skids worth it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think they are. I would rather have a dent in those than the actual undercarriage.

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,661 Posts
If you didn't have anything it would be an issue if you got on or over rocks enough. But you have protection, and the existing can be straightened out if bad. So its up to you if $$$ are better spent or saved at that point. No bolder is going to bash through the factory plate, they may drag more with friction which should not be a big deal either.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here is good example:

·
Registered
962 Posts
And after, take em off and hammer them back in shape.

·
Registered
RMAX-4 LE
8 Posts
The OEM plate is good for the occasional "whoopsie." But when you drop your 2,000 lb machine on a serious rock or ledge, it will bend the plate up into the carriage or damage the thin tree guard tubes. I haven't had my new LE all apart yet to see if the OEM plate is close to any critcal engine components (like the Pioneer 1000), but I like UHMW addition as insurance. Trail Armor skid went on very easily in 2 hours. I really like the quarter panel/rock guard flares. Only disadvantage besides $$ is the 60 lbs added weight. I may add the bash plate, but don't feel the need for the A-arm protection as they are pretty solid.

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 8 of 8 Posts