Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.

Been spending waaay to much time "researching" pros vs cons of the RMAX 4 compared to my current X4. I honestly cant seem to find anything other that maybe size, as being a con of the RMAX vs X4. So, I figured I'd ask it here, as a lot of you RMAX owner seem to come from X2/X4 and seem to be thrilled with the decision.

I bought an X4 new in '18, with the primary reason being that we wanted to take our 2 children with us into the woods. We own 100 acres, that joins to a few hundred more (friends/family/neighbors etc.) that is all connect via an old rail bed that allows us to take quick 6-7 mile rides from our backyard. Other than that, we would travel to state/private trial systems. Since 2018 the X4 has left on a trailer a total of one single time lol. It has less than 95 hours and just ticked 600 miles, so its basically still new. Since the addition of the X4 we also added a 3rd child, and have ordered the UTVMA bench seat for the rear. We live in the Buffalo, NY area, which is wet more than it is dry and sometimes snowy. I see our X4 sitting more often than not because its a PIA to clean, and we're always muddy here. Plus, its just easier to jump on the golf cart when we need to run around the yard. I do wish the X4 had more power, kind of boring when you stomp on it, but truth be told I typically drive around in low gear in the woods so the kids juice boxes don't spill. I also wish the X4 was less jerky, but so far we really don't have any complaints. Did I mention I wish it had more ass!?!

I just cant stop thinking of upgrading to an RMAX before I install the rear seat. I can also likely sell the X4 at or more than I paid for it. My hold up on doing it already is, is it actually worth it for me. Its not the money, I'd just write a check for the RMAX. But, with our limited use, is it justifiable to make the jump now and just be done with it? I simply want the RMAX but I also want a new truck, boat, camper etc..... but none of it is needed.

So I guess I'm looking to be talked into it, if possible. Is the RMAX4 THAT much better than the X4? Will the first time I mash the gas, running to my neighbors, be worth the expense to finally break 54mph? Is the suspension that much better vs the X4? Is there more room for 5 vs the X4? Am I missing anything, or should I just go for it?

Sorry for long, almost therapeutic, first post. Long shot that this thread will make my mind up, and appreciate any input.

Thanks!

PS - the wife already said "if you want it just buy it", and yet still, here I am without and RMAX!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went from a X2 to a Rmax2.
My only complaint was how loud it is.
I had to install new clutch weights to fix the noise issue.
Other than that, it is a way nicer machine in every way.
Is the noise even at low speeds? As mentioned, we putts around a lot so it'd be annoying if its always loud. The 850 seems to have an odd chatter at low RPM but we've gotten used to it and its pretty darn quiet, which we've like.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Is the noise even at low speeds? As mentioned, we putts around a lot so it'd be annoying if its always loud. The 850 seems to have an odd chatter at low RPM but we've gotten used to it and its pretty darn quiet, which we've like.
Yes, even at low speeds.
Test drive one, it was unbearable to me.
I asked if there was something wrong with it.
The X2 was so quiet and I was use to that.

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,094 Posts
The RMAX is a high RPM machine in stock configuration. Compared to PO-PO's low grunt, they do seem like something is wrong when you first ride them. They seem wide open at slow to moderate speed. And yes they are loud. I hate the noise and I hate the high RPM.....BUT.....I love my Rmax2. In sport mode, you will swear it's a completely different beast of a machine. In Crawl mode, the jerkyness you described in the X- machine is cleaned up and buttery smooth. If i could have my machine exactly how it is but significantly quieter like the X- machines, it would be prefect. The Rmax definitely has "more ass" . With all the bitching I have done in the past about things i don't like, I do like my machine better than anything else I've been in (and my riding crew has plenty of variety to test drive). I would buy it again after a lot of time in East Tennessee's rough ass proving grounds.

My best advice is DON'T drive one...... unless you plan on buying it!

Your in the right place to get solid advice on pros and cons. There are some fan- boys here and some solid bitchers also but somewhere in the middle you'll find the honest advice you're looking for.
Good luck! Send us a pic WHEN you buy it!🤣

·
Premium Member
2021 Rmax4 LE.
538 Posts
I bought the 2020 x4. If I had known they were releasing the Rmax I would have waited. That being said the Rmax is a way better fit for me. At our elevation the x4 was underpowered. The suspension was sub par IMO as well. If you can sell your x4 for what you paid for it I would pull the trigger on the Rmax4. I took it in the shorts when I sold my x4 considering the upgrades I made. I love my Rmax.

·
Registered
2021 Canned Ham Maverick Sport Max 1000r
904 Posts
don't do it. you'll have too much fun

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My guess is, if you don't get the rmax, you will wish you would have sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I also went from an X2 to a RMAX2. It's night and day better. Much easier entry, less cab heat, awesome ride and handling, very stable and much quicker with the same fuel economy. It is louder but I would never go back to an X2. If you make the purchase, I guarantee you won't have any regrets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Basically what I was thinking, there really isn't any reason not to make the upgrade. I did a quick look at what I could throw at the X4 to give it more of everything. By the time its tuned, bigger tires/wheels, winch, possibly WE shocks, its 5-6K. With all that, its still not an RMAX. That too really helps push for the new unit.

I did actually test drive one, but just around a parking lot so the noise really wasn't that evident. The limited stomping on the gas, is what peaked my interest. I was amazed at how fast it spooled up compared to the X4.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll post a pic once we have a new one home!

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 XTR
178 Posts
I went form a 2020 x2 to a 2022 RMAX2, and I'm glad I changed. Just like mentioned above, more room, better performance, better ride, more enjoyment, lol. I asked the same question you did on here and made the change and don't regret it one bit!!

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
465 Posts
First post.

Been spending waaay to much time "researching" pros vs cons of the RMAX 4 compared to my current X4. I honestly cant seem to find anything other that maybe size, as being a con of the RMAX vs X4. So, I figured I'd ask it here, as a lot of you RMAX owner seem to come from X2/X4 and seem to be thrilled with the decision.

I bought an X4 new in '18, with the primary reason being that we wanted to take our 2 children with us into the woods. We own 100 acres, that joins to a few hundred more (friends/family/neighbors etc.) that is all connect via an old rail bed that allows us to take quick 6-7 mile rides from our backyard. Other than that, we would travel to state/private trial systems. Since 2018 the X4 has left on a trailer a total of one single time lol. It has less than 95 hours and just ticked 600 miles, so its basically still new. Since the addition of the X4 we also added a 3rd child, and have ordered the UTVMA bench seat for the rear. We live in the Buffalo, NY area, which is wet more than it is dry and sometimes snowy. I see our X4 sitting more often than not because its a PIA to clean, and we're always muddy here. Plus, its just easier to jump on the golf cart when we need to run around the yard. I do wish the X4 had more power, kind of boring when you stomp on it, but truth be told I typically drive around in low gear in the woods so the kids juice boxes don't spill. I also wish the X4 was less jerky, but so far we really don't have any complaints. Did I mention I wish it had more ass!?!

I just cant stop thinking of upgrading to an RMAX before I install the rear seat. I can also likely sell the X4 at or more than I paid for it. My hold up on doing it already is, is it actually worth it for me. Its not the money, I'd just write a check for the RMAX. But, with our limited use, is it justifiable to make the jump now and just be done with it? I simply want the RMAX but I also want a new truck, boat, camper etc..... but none of it is needed.

So I guess I'm looking to be talked into it, if possible. Is the RMAX4 THAT much better than the X4? Will the first time I mash the gas, running to my neighbors, be worth the expense to finally break 54mph? Is the suspension that much better vs the X4? Is there more room for 5 vs the X4? Am I missing anything, or should I just go for it?

Sorry for long, almost therapeutic, first post. Long shot that this thread will make my mind up, and appreciate any input.

Thanks!

PS - the wife already said "if you want it just buy it", and yet still, here I am without and RMAX!!
I was told it would be a night and day difference between my X2 and Rmax. It's is! The rmax is a bit louder in low gear. But the fun, handling, and ride far outway the extra noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts