Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, I am about to sell my 15 gator 825I and i plan on buying a new Wolverine R spec. I though about a RZR 900s but the wife doesn't like the pure sport bike. She isn't going to approve unless it has some utility. So, how does this machine stack up on the fun factor and are there any major issues i should know before i make this purchase? In the past i tend to acquire a lot of body damage and void any and all warranties. Will this machine be able to subdue my Rock Crawling habit? A few pics of my last money pit.....

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it's a nice compromise between a Gator and a Sport sxs. It is not going to do 80 mph. But it will go just about anywhere and you can build fence or go to the race track like I do in your Wolverine.
The ride is unmatched.
I take my doors off when playing around my farm and then put them back on when trail riding starts.
It's easy in and out of the Woverine. My Rzr was a pain to climb in and out of.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've had a few machines in my day. Last machine was a CanAm maverick. I decided to give up the wow factor for a good simple reliable trail machine. Its fast enough and is well suited for everything I ride. Plus the seats are comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and visibility is fantastic. I always feel like I am sitting in a hole in the RZRs and the CanAm SXS.

The Wolverine may be a TAD more sporty than your 825i but are probably comperable.

Guy we ride with has a Tyrex4. Its super nice too. No problems with it thus far. Both the Wolverine and Tyrex is going to have quite a bit of utility. Polaris general also has a lot of utility and you get way more sport than a Tyrex or a Wolverine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My current options I have looked into are a JD 860i. Rzr 900s and the Rspec. From past experience I really only trust a few names. Honda, there sxs's are ugly as could be. John Deere, zero aftermarket support and they are proud of there machine. And Yamaha. the r spec looks to have most of what I am looking for at a good price. I am selling the 825i for 10,5 and want to stay close to that in a new machine

·
Registered
198 Posts
have you looked at the new Honda pioneer 1000-5, nothing ugly about it and its a beast, but the price tag is not going too match, what
you looking for, I too like the rzr900s too but they say the dependability factor is not too good, now I have owned 4 rangers with no issues,
but wanted something more sporty and agile this time so went with the wolverine, no complaints yet, except they are hard as heck to wash:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not worried about it being hard to wash. Thanks for the replies. I believe I have made my mind up on the Yamaha. I already have a wish list of mods ?

Wants. Winch Half windshield 2" lift. 28" to 30" tires (pro armor crawler) 14" wheels of some kind and a full clutch kit looks to be needed to handle the larger tires from what I have read. I should have the gator title and machine sold in the next few weeks then I can make a trip to Abernathy's in west TN and bring one home.

Attachments

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I'm not worried about it being hard to wash. Thanks for the replies. I believe I have made my mind up on the Yamaha. I already have a wish list of mods ?

Wants. Winch Half windshield 2" lift. 28" to 30" tires (pro armor crawler) 14" wheels of some kind and a full clutch kit looks to be needed to handle the larger tires from what I have read. I should have the gator title and machine sold in the next few weeks then I can make a trip to Abernathy's in west TN and bring one home.
I'm definitely not an expert at rock crawling, but I do know a few things about crawling in a side by side. The Wolverine will take you where you want to go. Be careful on tire size, 30-35" tires are clutch smokers. A clutch kit with 25-27" tires will be far less stress on your hardware.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tinken, you seem to be a outspoken member on this forum with a lot of knowledge. I appreciate the words of wisdom

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love mine so far, all stock until shit wears out. I got the winch promo deal. Fast, great ride, good utility. Small enough at 60" to be real nimble, pretty much can go anywhere my grizzly takes me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congrats on your decision with the Wolverine. I've had mine for a little under a year, and although I haven't put many miles on it yet, I've been using it a lot for utility work around my property. The trails where I live are very rocky but this bike eats up the harshness with its suspension. Love the power..the power steering and the room inside the cab. It's been a great bike so far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Put 22 miles on the bike this afternoon. This thing is a blast to ride compared to the John Deere 825i.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I literally looked at every machine that wasn't a sport buggy. The only machine I would consider getting rid of my wolverine for is a general. And the reliability of the yamaha makes that unlikely. I wish it made 20 more hp but man this thing will literally go ANYWHERE the high dollar big hp machines go. And the suspension is absolutely spot on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts