Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have adjusted my back shocks about three times and just added a one inch coil spring spacer,but can't seem to maintain over nine and a half in of clearance.i pack around two hundred pounds in the back and wondering if that's why they are putting the fox shocks on now.i had the same problem with my midsize ranger and had to go with heavier springs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Take it in for warranty.obviously their is an issue that will cost you a butt load if you wait to fix it yourself

·
Registered
367 Posts
And everyone should give their head a shake and lose the idea that fox shocks are good shocks. Even our local shop that rebuilds every shock known to man will not sell of bring in any fox shocks besides their top of the line truck coil overs. He himself ownes a wolverine and says he would take these kyb shocks over the fox any day of the year

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a lot of the issues with the shocks is it's all about the ride not the work, which is fine for most people, but I would give up some ride for a shock that will hold up a load.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I load down my box with a cooler, chain saw spare fuel, tow rope, winch kit, tool bag, much more random crap and a passenger in the 200lb range and I never have a sag issue and I am on stock settings. Maybe it's just yours

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I load down my box with a cooler, chain saw spare fuel, tow rope, winch kit, tool bag, much more random crap and a passenger in the 200lb range and I never have a sag issue and I am on stock settings. Maybe it's just yours
i'll have to mention that to my dealer,how many miles and hours do you have?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am at 1000 but not sure on hours .. might I mention that my 1000 are of rock crawling trail smashing ... my suspension is set stock cus I like it soft it gets used non stop from full extension to full compression ... I do not jump it though

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am at 1000 but not sure on hours .. might I mention that my 1000 are of rock crawling trail smashing ... my suspension is set stock cus I like it soft it gets used non stop from full extension to full compression ... I do not jump it though
Mine wasn't too bad until around 1500 miles,so will be interesting to see how yours are at 2000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
FWIW mine has sagged quite a bit from stock, to the point I have turned up the preload as far as it will go on all four corners. I am close to stock again now, but I think these springs are shit honestly. But if I take it to a dealer he is gonna do everything he can to tell me I'm crazy and there is nothing wrong so that he doesn't have to make a warranty claim. I think I will just see how it goes through next year and maybe the aftermarket will have something by then. I have emailed a handful of companies asking if they have developed a spring yet for the wolverine, but nobody has yet that I have found. Oh and I noticed the sag in mine after only about 100 miles.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Like every utv made, the shocks are ok, just the manufacturer spec'ed springs are weak.
Hopefully, someone will offer some dual rates for the Wolverine Kayaba's.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on my polaris I put the springs off of their ev machine that weighed around 2000lbs,i was hoping not to have to go through this again with the wolverine.would be nice if they had an air shock available.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Guess you could always use a Spring Booster.

·
Banned
504 Posts
FWIW mine has sagged quite a bit from stock, to the point I have turned up the preload as far as it will go on all four corners. I am close to stock again now, but I think these springs are shit honestly. But if I take it to a dealer he is gonna do everything he can to tell me I'm crazy and there is nothing wrong so that he doesn't have to make a warranty claim. I think I will just see how it goes through next year and maybe the aftermarket will have something by then. I have emailed a handful of companies asking if they have developed a spring yet for the wolverine, but nobody has yet that I have found. Oh and I noticed the sag in mine after only about 100 miles.
I am hoping Elka will make some springs for a group buy
it's better to go heavy spring and almost zero preload

·
Registered
367 Posts
You have a 1 inch spring spacer on your r spec ? And your preload cranked up? I hate to say it but I have seen this lots. A person cranks preload to get hight from break in sag then they sag more so they crank more pre load then put a spacer in and they sag even more. Your spring is shot from to much set force
. What happens is the spring sits in a constant compressed state then while you ride it gets hit into its maximum states easier which means your 6 month old springs are acting like 6 year old springs. The proper way to get your hight out of your machine is to lift it and reduce preload and to adjust your high and low speed compression to combat your ride change and desires. Preload should never be maxed as it will incredibly decrease life of the spring and those spacers should never be used.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
You have a 1 inch spring spacer on your r spec ? And your preload cranked up? I hate to say it but I have seen this lots. A person cranks preload to get hight from break in sag then they sag more so they crank more pre load then put a spacer in and they sag even more. Your spring is shot from to much set force
. What happens is the spring sits in a constant compressed state then while you ride it gets hit into its maximum states easier which means your 6 month old springs are acting like 6 year old springs. The proper way to get your hight out of your machine is to lift it and reduce preload and to adjust your high and low speed compression to combat your ride change and desires. Preload should never be maxed as it will incredibly decrease life of the spring and those spacers should never be used.
Well, I agree with your concept here for the most part;the spring spacers aren't the ideal route to go, but I disagree with the statement that "preload should never be maxed". The adjustment range available from the manufacturer is just that, it is the available range that you can safely adjust your preload without causing adverse affects. The entire purpose of the preload is to adjust it to compensate for rider, passenger, and cargo combined, to keep the static ride height in the top 25-30% of travel of the suspension. Any lower than this and you begin to adversely affect handling and ride. However, if you are not able to adjust the spring preload within the factory limits to achieve the desired ride height, then you simply need stiffer springs. I think part of the confusion here is we are talking about two different goals; one is to increase ride height over factory, the other is to increase it back to factory due to sagging. I genuinely think there is a problem with these springs, as I did not have anything loaded in my machine for the first hundred miles or more(except a passenger) and my springs were still sagging badly after those first few rides. After I loaded it up with gear for my Hatfield trip, it was stupid low, like bottoming on everything. That is why I had to crank up the preload. I would be very curious to know the spring specs of the factory springs, and see if the aftermarket can offer ones with about 150lbs more capacity-each.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't have to do this if the springs were heavier to start with,thats why I'm curious why Yamaha is offering the fox shocks,i am going to try to get the specs on the two different springs

·
Registered
367 Posts
I understand where your coming from but, you do understand that you mad a small problem way worse right ? Every spring settles. Trucks cars, atvs, rzr, can am, yamaha susuki ... they all settle. It's trying to use preload to lift a machine that will be the end of a spring faster

1 - 20 of 64 Posts