Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was out riding and noticed right rear shock leaking out. Figured hey no big deal, they are rebuildable! Take it my dealer, they take it off to get rebuilt. Send it to and independent shop. A week later they tell me that he can't get parts for it, so they ordered a whole new shock. But it is back ordered til middle of next month. But I was told they put "temporary" non r spec shocks on it till then. So as far as a rebuildable shock goes, I don't see it yet..... Needless to say I am disssapointed, and a little bit perturbed.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Was out riding and noticed right rear shock leaking out. Figured hey no big deal, they are rebuildable! Take it my dealer they take it off to get rebuilt. Send it to and independent shop. A week later they tell me that he can't get parts for it, so they ordered a whole new shock. But it is back ordered til middle of next month. But I was told they put "temporary" non r spec shocks on it till then. So as far as a rebuildable shock goes, I don't see it yet..... Needless to say I am disssapointed, and a little bit perturbed.
I can share your frustration with these shocks and contrary to what some members on this forum are saying I feel they were never built with the intension to be serviced and even if you could find some one to rebuild them the inconvenience of shipping them away and the cost hardly justifies it,yamaha just wants to sell you new ones.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
That's a real bummer man. I really wish they would step up the supply issues...it's like they have zero parts available, everything is backordered.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I feel your pain. I've been waiting a month for 2 O-rings

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
one of the reasons I bought my wolverine was of yamahas reputation for quality and service,the quality seems to be there, but I am not impressed with their service,it's almost like they are more worried about selling machines than looking after their customers.

·
Engineer
1,819 Posts
If you look at the history of owners of Rhinos and what has gotten replaced on them, you will see that suspension is one of the items that gets most commonly replaced. I have almost 3000 miles on my Bilstein suspension, plush comfy ride, no sagging. They aren't cheap, but they cost less than Elka and will out perform them. I see used sets of these all the time for around $400 and they are completely rebuildable, even their billet housings. They make them in so many different sizes with limitless valving. Here's a video to what they look like. Anyway, just food for thought. :eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
one of the reasons I bought my wolverine was of yamahas reputation for quality and service,the quality seems to be there, but I am not impressed with their service,it's almost like they are more worried about selling machines than looking after their customers.
I haven't had bad service on the few issues I've had with my Wolverine. You are so disappointed in the springs, have you called different dealers, talked to different Yamaha tech's, Yamaha themselves, emails to Yamaha, anything besides complain on here over and over about it? because that will get you no where I guarantee that. I had to work with the service techs at my local dealer for a little bit explaining my issues on them, and while they were not warrantable but they still helped me threw it. I see that Elka is making shocks maybe you should call them up?

Ol Blu I'm not surprised you have to wait on a shock, its a new model and i'm guessing that very few people are buying shocks unless they are wrecked vehicles. It seems Yamaha has there hands full with the 5 new models in 5 years deal they had in Georgia facility.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you look at the history of owners of Rhinos and what has gotten replaced on them, you will see that suspension is one of the items that gets most commonly replaced. I have almost 3000 miles on my Bilstein suspension, plush comfy ride, no sagging. They aren't cheap, but they cost less than Elka and will out perform them. I see used sets of these all the time for around $400 and they are completely rebuildable, even their billet housings. They make them in so many different sizes with limitless valving. Here's a video to what they look like. Anyway, just food for thought. :eek:

Tinken, when you chance the shocks out do you lose all the adjustability of them?

Well, I hope mine hold up LOL. This is the story with every manufacturer these days. Once the check has cleared you are nobody. But, I would call Yamaha directly, ask for customer service, and give them a chance. The local dealers are just that, local dealers, don't expect the service that you would get from a $70K Corvette purchase. These things, while important to us, are not produced int he volume that vehicles are.

May not be a bad idea for us to build up a list of parts that you should keep a spare of.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well went and got it. I have to say, that my dealer is taking care of me a the best they can. Instead of putting one shock on the rear they replaced both on the rear. Both brand new non r-spec shocks, I will run those until the KYB comes in. Not to bad considering that I thought I would be down for 6-8 weeks! I say kudos to them for keeping me rolling!

Side note: I told them I was going to bring them back bleeding.... :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I haven't had bad service on the few issues I've had with my Wolverine. You are so disappointed in the springs, have you called different dealers, talked to different Yamaha tech's, Yamaha themselves, emails to Yamaha, anything besides complain on here over and over about it? because that will get you no where I guarantee that. I had to work with the service techs at my local dealer for a little bit explaining my issues on them, and while they were not warrantable but they still helped me threw it. I see that Elka is making shocks maybe you should call them up?

Ol Blu I'm not surprised you have to wait on a shock, its a new model and i'm guessing that very few people are buying shocks unless they are wrecked vehicles. It seems Yamaha has there hands full with the 5 new models in 5 years deal they had in Georgia facility.
I wasn't even talking about my springs,iwas was talking about the poor service and parts availability,all you have to do is read the posts,they speak for themselves,if you think waiting for over a month and up to six months for certain parts and accessories is acceptable,i guess we have different expectations

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
They did better for you than some stories I've heard here. There are always 2 sides though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me wrong, still irritated as hell. But at least I am on the trail. I appreciate the fact that my dealer went the extra mile to make sure I can ride. But factory support has got me bothered. Did they not expect them to break, or fail? Why was there no source in place for accidents, failures, and stupid. The major factors in why any machine would need parts. Either the factory has more faith in the machine, and my driving than I do.... Or someone really dropped the ball.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
It seems that they allocated all parts to production.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by Olblu View Post
Was out riding and noticed right rear shock leaking out. Figured hey no big deal, they are rebuildable! Take it my dealer they take it off to get rebuilt. Send it to and independent shop. A week later they tell me that he can't get parts for it, so they ordered a whole new shock. But it is back ordered til middle of next month. But I was told they put "temporary" non r spec shocks on it till then. So as far as a rebuildable shock goes, I don't see it yet..... Needless to say I am disssapointed, and a little bit perturbed.
I can share your frustration with these shocks and contrary to what some members on this forum are saying I feel they were never built with the intension to be serviced and even if you could find some one to rebuild them the inconvenience of shipping them away and the cost hardly justifies it,yamaha just wants to sell you new ones.

I wasn't even talking about my springs,iwas was talking about the poor service and parts availability,all you have to do is read the posts,they speak for themselves,if you think waiting for over a month and up to six months for certain parts and accessories is acceptable,i guess we have different expectations
I did read your posts, and the ones on other topics. Did you read mine?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts