Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted Yamaha today to get the specs on my shocks,but they said it was confidential,i am getting tired of the lack of support from Yamaha.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I honestly think you are making a mountain out of a moal hill here, if you haven't noticed you are the only one constantly posting about your springs sagging. Sure other people have had there springs sag but it's expected. Springs sag during settling .. we have discussed at length countless times that your jacking up of the preload to compensate for it has added to the sagging. Talked at length about springs and sizes and companies and of yamaha and warranty and emails and phone calls ... sir if you had a dead horse you would be still beating it ... obviously your still riding it and obviously it's still functional ... at this point if you don't like it sell it and buy something else cus you certainly don't seam happy about your purchase. I say either forget it or figure it out. Obviously yamaha isn't going to help you ... no brand would. Call elka I bet with in 5 minutes they could have you all the info you need for a new set of shocks. Gonget springs made .. go to a spring shop they make springs all day .m they have scales and meters to figure this shit out ... the wolverine forums we are on are not going to solve your issue neither is am email or a phone call to people who don't care about your problem when you seam to be the only one. Call high lifter call anyone but get something made .. I not trying to be rude but in all certain honesty I don't thibk anyone cares about your sagging springs anymore ...go ride

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Can't really speak for Wolverine springs, but after 3200 miles, my rear Bilstein's were done and they are much more massive in size. I replaced my springs with the best Eibachs and my ride is even smoother. Pretty sure those Yamaha shocks are not rebuildable and for the replacement cost of just one of them, you can pick up a pretty nice used aftermarket set for all four. Rhinoforums.net classifieds is a great place to look.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The shocks are rebuildable but you need to purchase a new end cap for the resivor. They have the same body as money other kyb shocks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly think you are making a mountain out of a moal hill here, if you haven't noticed you are the only one constantly posting about your springs sagging. Sure other people have had there springs sag but it's expected. Springs sag during settling .. we have discussed at length countless times that your jacking up of the preload to compensate for it has added to the sagging. Talked at length about springs and sizes and companies and of yamaha and warranty and emails and phone calls ... sir if you had a dead horse you would be still beating it ... obviously your still riding it and obviously it's still functional ... at this point if you don't like it sell it and buy something else cus you certainly don't seam happy about your purchase. I say either forget it or figure it out. Obviously yamaha isn't going to help you ... no brand would. Call elka I bet with in 5 minutes they could have you all the info you need for a new set of shocks. Gonget springs made .. go to a spring shop they make springs all day .m they have scales and meters to figure this shit out ... the wolverine forums we are on are not going to solve your issue neither is am email or a phone call to people who don't care about your problem when you seam to be the only one. Call high lifter call anyone but get something made .. I not trying to be rude but in all certain honesty I don't thibk anyone cares about your sagging springs anymore ...go ride
I guess you don't get it ,I have tried every option and contacted everbody that I know of to find new springs and without knowing the specs on my springs and nobody building them specifically for the wolverine I can't just buy any spring,elka does make a set of shocks for the wolverine,but I'm not about to spend over $3,000 for a set of their shocks if I can replace my springs.since your such an expert on shocks maybe you can tell me what spring will work.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Go to a spring shop with your wolverine and get a set made .... they have the machines to tell you the specs of your springs ... they have presses and meters and guage that tell them what you have and what to make. I am in a butt hole town on an island in canada and have one 15 minutes from my house and have had springs made in less then 3 days and for about 600 bucks

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Have you tried contacting any shock shops in your area? I would think like a racing shop or something like that would be able to help you out. To be honest they can probably get you a setup more turned for what you do.

This is one of those things after Yamaha said they wouldn't help you that you have to take upon yourself and do some research. It sucks because you will have to foot the bill for it, but I would think it could be done for less than $1000.

I dealt with the same thing with mine always running hot. They wouldn't do anything about it because it was an isolated thing they said. I looked at different coolants and radiator companies. Ended up talking to the guys at TCP and got their input and had a new radiator built. $500 out of my pocket, but now the problem is solved.

When you get it solved let us know. Given time someone will likely have the same problem and you can point them in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to a spring shop with your wolverine and get a set made .... they have the machines to tell you the specs of your springs ... they have presses and meters and guage that tell them what you have and what to make. I am in a butt hole town on an island in canada and have one 15 minutes from my house and have had springs made in less then 3 days and for about 600 bucks
you are lucky the nearest spring shop to me is 300 miles away.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried contacting any shock shops in your area? I would think like a racing shop or something like that would be able to help you out. To be honest they can probably get you a setup more turned for what you do.

This is one of those things after Yamaha said they wouldn't help you that you have to take upon yourself and do some research. It sucks because you will have to foot the bill for it, but I would think it could be done for less than $1000.

I dealt with the same thing with mine always running hot. They wouldn't do anything about it because it was an isolated thing they said. I looked at different coolants and radiator companies. Ended up talking to the guys at TCP and got their input and had a new radiator built. $500 out of my pocket, but now the problem is solved.

When you get it solved let us know. Given time someone will likely have the same problem and you can point them in the right direction.
my problem is I don't have the specs to know what will work for me,i have contacted highlifter,elka,and king shocks and they haven't come up with anything for the wolverine yet, I thought that was the least Yamaha could do was provide me with the specs. with my polaris I could purchase the springs separately and the dealer had the specs available and through their forum was able to solve my issue.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come on back over to PRC,it's not too late��
I am still a member and they like most of the wolverine members have been more helpful in solving issues than the manufactures themselves,but if you were were referring that I buy another polaris that won't happen after driving a machine with real 4x4 again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You have to remember with your polaris it is the highest selling atv utv company in the world .... drastic larger forums and companies building things ... I do belive at year end yamaha was still unable to sell over 2500 wolverines in the world ... polaris sold over 20,000 xp 1000 the day they released ... apples and oranges

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
$600, what are you smoking? Dealer cost on Eibachs are $65 each, so figure $100 and they will have that size already. Ask Elka what spring rates they recommend on their shocks for Wolverine (act interested in theirs). They will be between 5.3 and 5.6. Measure OD, ID and length, then call Eibach.

·
Registered
367 Posts
$600, what are you smoking? Dealer cost on Eibachs are $65 each, so figure $100 and they will have that size already. Ask Elka what spring rates they recommend on their shocks for Wolverine (act interested in theirs). They will be between 5.3 and 5.6. Measure OD, ID and length, then call Eibach.
I should state that I live in canada ... there for everything is more expensive to get or build. Your 65 bucks usd is 100 canadian... then ship it to canada and pay duties taxes and other bullshit fees it's about the same price lol

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to remember with your polaris it is the highest selling atv utv company in the world .... drastic larger forums and companies building things ... I do belive at year end yamaha was still unable to sell over 2500 wolverines in the world ... polaris sold over 20,000 xp 1000 the day they released ... apples and oranges
I wouldn't own another polaris,but I give them credit for sticking their neck out and trying different builds and when they build them they have the parts and accessories available,the parts and accessories available from Yamaha is limited and waiting up to six months for certain items to me is probably one of the reasons they don't sell that many machines.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am still a member and they like most of the wolverine members have been more helpful in solving issues than the manufactures themselves,but if you were were referring that I buy another polaris that won't happen after driving a machine with real 4x4 again.
I wasn't referring or inferring anything. Just yanking your chain a little.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could take my springs off,but don't know if I can get an accurate measurement on the free length with mine sagging,i asked my dealer what the fox shocks have for spring rate but he didn't know,maybe fox can give me that info,they have a lot more adjustment than the kyb shocks,one member has offered to take his off and measure it,so might have to be patient and wait, I just feel frustrated that I can't get this info from Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts