Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body installed some sort of a shock boot over the shocks? I'm getting a moan from my shocks when I push down or sit in my machine. (Yes, I'm a fat ass)
My guess the shock dust seal is loading up with micro dust and is doomed to fail without some sort of dust cover/boot/sock to keep the shock piston clean.
Like this:
Automotive parking light Insect Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tool
Material property Tints and shades Font Fashion accessory Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Are you sure its not the springs moaning? I ran those on my Banshee but ended up catching more cap in them than without so I took them back off. Your riding area my be better suited if you don't have a lot of water and mud.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure its not the springs moaning? I ran those on my Banshee but ended up catching more cap in them than without so I took them back off. Your riding area my be better suited if you don't have a lot of water and mud.
I don't know... Just figured it was the unprotected shock piston seal. All my dirt bikes at least had a boot to keep the seals clean.

Reactions: Glock10mm

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran them on all my sport quads, they look cool if anything.
I don't need the bling, I want the protection. I guess quads and Sxs's shocks don't use the same logic as dirt bike forks. I find that odd. Seals are seals. And dust/mud will eat seals.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Reactions: Glock10mm

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have used them on many machines. You just have to remember that if you do an especially muddy ride you need to remove them and clean properly. In average riding I have found they do a good job of keeping stuff out.

·
Banned
67 Posts
The Shockwears actually work pretty good, so long as you forget their elastic top and fit it tight with a wire-tie, and leave the bottom alone., so any liquid that get's in can freely run-out. Off-road motorcycles have boots/gaiters on the fork for a reason...even many adventure bikes. I'm having a custom set made right now for mine, and always use them on my machines. I have an 825i John Deere, and my buddy has the exact same machine, but mine has well over a thousand more miles than his does, and my shocks are still like new, whereas he has had to replace all four of his. We ride the exact same trails, and normally together, for most of those miles. I have Shockwears on that JD, and he does not. If every picture tells a story...

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
That is the exact opposite of what I have encountered but I put them as they came and did not add anything to the top. I think a good rinse down after muddy gravel riding is still better. I don't mud too much. Actually I don't like it anymore but we cross several clear creeks with water up or over the seat and the fine sand wears on things. I think they would work great in the dessert or slick mud that doesn't have sand in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts