Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of been around a while known/read about the COOP MODS for low end improvements and a different ramp on the sheave once machined. However, it all started with a dirt cheap SHIM solution to shim out up to 2.0mm if there was sufficient engagement left and clearance.

Kingquad owner were doing it and I did a 1.5mm shim on the two I had.

I feel this CVT should be able to handle a 1.5mm shim set without issue but haven't heard mention of it anywhere. I'll ask my dealer if they are carrying the shims or not as they'll have it apart and hopefully pop them in.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, read that and seems the exposure Budro2 emphases is a real issue to be reckoned with. I didn't have that issue with the ATV and only the coupling splines of the plate were the limiting factor even though 2mm worked for many. I opted to give the splines the additional .5mm of bite by not going more than 1.5mm.

It appears Yamaha has this pretty much shoe horned the CVT in and belt riding high to start with.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
In another thread Todd had a guy shim his stock sheave 1mm. He had 30” tires and Todd wouldn’t sell him a sheave due to the tire size. 1mm is safe without hitting the seal lip in the bottom of the primary. I don’t know if more is possible without problems.

Bear in mind all that experimentation I did in that thread you read is in conjunction with a HW sheave that already has the belt lower in the primary and higher in the secondary. I’m still running 1mm successfully with the HW sheave. You won’t have to much belt exposure in the secondary with 1mm and a stock sheave!

You can get 1.5mm in and still have the cam plate on full splines. I just lost to much grip with it that low. You won’t be that low with the stock sheave, your concern will be hitting the seal lip on the stock sheave!

Edit: That thread where Todd sent Dave D. 2 .5mm shims for his stock sheave to assist in turning his 30” tires is HELP WITH POSSIBLE WATER PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I email my dealer and they don't carry the shims, nor does anyone else I know of in Canada. Its all ordered from the US or ebay.

So where do I get a 1mm SHIM in time for my servicing. That what I have to look into.

I expect the Gen 1 spec for a shim is different than the X-series so I cannot assume and have them say it don't fit!

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Ok, I email my dealer and they don't carry the shims, nor does anyone else I know of in Canada. Its all ordered from the US or ebay.

So where do I get a 1mm SHIM in time for my servicing. That what I have to look into.

I expect the Gen 1 spec for a shim is different than the X-series so I cannot assume and have them say it don't fit!
Hunterworks, JBS, and UTV INC. all sell the shims in the U.S.
I walked into a hardware store with a digital caliper and went through some washers till I found what I needed.
The hole size needs to be 19-20 mm. The .5 shim I got from HW is 27mm outside and works fine but is smaller than the collar. I’d recommend an outside diameter of more like 30-33mm. Im not sure what the collar is but the closer to that size the better if possible IMO. Just measure your collar inside and out and get as close to that as possible and about 1mm thick. I found one dead on and one that’s like 1.2!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, wow and thought I was conservative in looking for a 1mm only. Too hard a expensive to get to Canada.

I think I'll stick to stock and not push it further.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Oh, wow and thought I was conservative in looking for a 1mm only. Too hard a expensive to get to Canada.

I think I'll stick to stock and not push it further.

Thanks
Again that was with a HW sheave that Noload ran into those problems with the 1mm shim, not a stock sheave. You are not going to have that kind of belt exposure to have those problems with your stock sheave!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not finding it on ebay unless its the same as some other machines reference in kit. Rhino Grizzly builds etc and I saw one sell for the X2. Most others JBS and other costing at least $13-15 shipping for this washer alone. It maybe a nice to have but not MUST have. I'll poke around more today.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What other Yamaha use the same CVT (shaft size) as the Gen1 UTV?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do want a Stainless Steel shim if I am putting one in. Fibre etc is not any good.

Anyone have one in a 1mm thickness for a Gen 1 machine?

I'll buy it from you if I can E transfer to the USA. Knowone seems to provide them in them in Canada.
I don't know how much time I have before the dealer is ready for me as the parts were waiting.

USPS is fine and that nothing in an envelope. 1 mm, one washer for the Gen 1

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent JBS a contact webmail about the wash. No reply now, two days. Only one listing it on their site.

Well Sod the lot of them I'll go without it and be as I am now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts