Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just like to know what every one has found for the best setting on there wolvies. I usually ride fast and hard! So far Iv been ajusting in small increments. Then riding hard. I now have it set. 3 clicks above standard. Compression and rebound."" Standard according to the manual counting clicks "". I like it so far. And this setting seems be holding up to some harsh riding. But I have not adjusted the preload yet. Because I'm not real sure what it changes with performance. Can someone explain. The preload setting. And will it adjust ride height. Thank guys!! Ho and has any one busted and of the KYB shocks yet. And we're is the weak spot in them?!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
The only adjustment I e made to mine is 2 turns up on preload just accommodate the added weight of all the bolt ons. Compression and rebound haven't changed at all and it handles like a dream. I do a mix of low speed trail riding, but when I get in the more open trails by myself I run the piss out of it and haven't had any issues with ride quality.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. So you screwd "up "not down. To make the springs take on more of the weight. ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ok. So you screwd "up "not down. To make the springs take on more of the weight. ?
Well, I screwed down to increase the preload. I said I went up on the preload because I increased it, but you are actually running the adjusters down the shock body.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh ok got. That what I thought you meant. Thanks. I'll try that out also. Oh Meeks, did you adjust all 4 corners the same, or just the front.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also , I'm wondering what happens when a shock bottoms out. Does it damage the seals or shocks. Or potentially bust the eye bolt ?,, I'm just trying to get mine set up to were if I do catch some air 2-3 feet on a small whoop, with two adults on board. It does not bottom out the shock,

·
Registered
718 Posts
Oh ok got. That what I thought you meant. Thanks. I'll try that out also. Oh Meeks, did you adjust all 4 corners the same, or just the front.
I went ahead and did all 4 the same.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I tried tuning mine yesterday a bit. And both of the big screw nuts turned at the same time. Or should the top one loosen then screw down ""turn to the left". And the tightin the top one back down to lock it. I guess I could dig out the manual to see if it explaines

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea but I like asking qeastions. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only adjustment I e made to mine is 2 turns up on preload just accommodate the added weight of all the bolt ons. Compression and rebound haven't changed at all and it handles like a dream. I do a mix of low speed trail riding, but when I get in the more open trails by myself I run the piss out of it and haven't had any issues with ride quality.
When you say: "2 turns" is that two full turns of the adjusting collar?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am trying to adjust the preload to it's softest setting. (turning it to the right "B" in the manual ) If I turn it to the it's max setting, I can't lock the "Locking Nut" This leaves me short of the softest setting shown in the manual. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,872 Posts
My new Wolverine seems to be set low. (springs compressed) such that much of the center is low, almost parallel with the arms. I would have thought you'd want them set to raise the machine a lot more for clearance and more down travel ability. These are a FOX system.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Early on some guys were noticing a measurable amount of spring sag after just a few rides compared to new, I've never rechecked mine since installing my 2" lift. I checked my shock setup by the owners manual by screwing them all the way in and then back out to the normal setting (my dealer actually had all 4 set exactly like the manual called for), and then I turned each one 3 more clicks softer. Then I turned the larger screw a half a turn softer if I remember correctly. Much nicer ride now. I've never adjusted the springs preload setup, I guess some day when I recheck my ride height.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,872 Posts
I figure the middle should be set up high. tightening the springs so the arms are well down. More travel when the wheels hit something (gently though). Backs are only slightly sloped right now. I did that to my KinqQuad so the ATV was up higher. I don't have the tool to adjust them. I used to have one I used long time ago but don't know where it is if it will work on this or not. I'll have to re-read the owner manual on what is said about the settings. There was a lot and I didn't focus on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
You don't need a special tool if you jack it up and take all the pressure off of the springs, then turn them either by hand, punch and hammer, or a large screwdriver and plastic mallet.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,872 Posts
I did jack it up at front center yesterday and it went up around 4 inches. Looked even more robust, HUM-V like. LOL

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,872 Posts
I read the manual again and the spring setting for lift is about an inch difference between Hard and Soft. I doubt compressing an inch more will raise the front end close to the top. The rear has different spec'd and both say not to exceed either setting? So I cannot run with higher clearance if that is obeyed.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I read the manual again and the spring setting for lift is about an inch difference between Hard and Soft. I doubt compressing an inch more will raise the front end close to the top. The rear has different spec'd and both say not to exceed either setting? So I cannot run with higher clearance if that is obeyed.
A 2" Perferx lift can be had for less than $100 and will give you more clearance without sacrificing your ride like cranking up the springs will do.

Reactions: Jimbo
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.