Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble compressing secondary spring. I actually bent the tool.
What am i doing wrong?

springcomp.JPG

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
YOU ARE NOT COMPRESSING THE SPRING! You are simply holding it in place while you loosen the nut. That top spring holding cup doesn't go down any further than where it is now. You are holding it in place while you loosen the nut. There are multiple videos on this: MULTIPLE. I hate to sound like Karen but there are multiple videos on this.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Learning curve #1 is over and out of the way......bring on #2.....lol. J/K
I got mine out of the way already, congrats :D

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Todds Video.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I prefer using a punch. Chisel cut is a little more aggressive.
Just file top of nut once you are done before installing on the shaft.
Massive has another method and a vid on this nut removal also.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I use an adjustable wrench to break the nut loose 1/4 turn then install the compressor/bell housing and the nut spins off by hand.
I was going to do this, but my 18" adjustable is gone. Probably at the boys place.
I didn't feel like grinding the thumbwheel on the 15", so a punch it was....lol

Reactions: InfidelMT

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I use a pipe wrench
One of my least favorite and least used tools in my arsenal when it comes to working on machines/machinery.....lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
found a socket at the local retool place, the drive adapter cost me more than the socket but easy to torque now. If not torquing at least mark nut and shaft so can return close to where it was IIRC.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I did the same thing, noticed it bending. Still couldn't get the nut off. Emailed Todd, he responded almost immediately. Told me to watch a specific point in his video and that explained it to me. And yes - I had watched the video twice before and still didn't pick up on that. So you are not the only one!

I used a bench grinder to round off the edges of the nut to make it fit easier inside the bell of the compressor. I kept the flats of the nut, but eliminated the edges.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Ha, I did the same Paul...lol
I used a flapper wheel inside the bell to open it up a little.
I usually have a slight misalignment and the nuts corners dig into the bell, so I just knocked of the sharp edge with the flapper wheel too......lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha, I did the same Paul...lol
I used a flapper wheel inside the bell to open it up a little.
I usually have a slight misalignment and the nuts corners dig into the bell, so I just knocked of the sharp edge with the flapper wheel too......lol
that's a great idea guys, I will do it next time I take it apart

1 - 16 of 16 Posts