Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Seat Comfort MOD - Simple, Cheap & Effective

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  perazzipro 
#1 ·
What I've done to greatly increase my driving comfort. Given nothing is adjustable on the Wolverine. There isn't anyone I can see that would want the seats in those hole bringing if further forward. Hence I don't consider it an adjustment whatsoever.

The seat pad has some shape to it and cushion shape but for the taller rider the thigh are floating foot not as comfortable as could be. We can't move the seat further back but WE CAN TIP the seat pad UP!!

I had these big rubber washer for decade floating around nut and bolt collection and decided to use them. I measured and the 1/2" thick hard rubber. Will compress under torque so I had to buy 4 bolts approx 1 inch longer than what was there. (to do both seats) You could use a piece of wood cut by hole saw, large bolts nut all as spacers to space it off similarly.

NOTE: Start the rear thread and the front one before tightening down too much. Rear bolts were long enough for this mod, fronts need replacing.

Well Pic's worth a 1000 words they said back in the day. So have a look.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have only owned my X2 for a month or so, but I like this mod. Being over 6ft tall, I find the seating arrangement a bit confining---so is the entry and exit situation; maybe the bolsters need to go, too! Too nasty out in the unheated shed to do much right now, but after things warm up a bit, I will start doing things; first will be Iridium plugs.

#3 · (Edited)
Might offer a suggestion that you use a ferrule inside the washer so that the bolt will torque and not loosen. Could make the ferrule out of maybe a machine bushing material (ACE Hardware) or electrical conduit cut to a length slightly shorter than washer thickness so you get some vibration dampening.

Edit- Planet Cat makes the point and I should have said that the seat plate should be drilled to a diameter slightly over the ferrule and use a big washer (larger than the ferrule hole) on the bolt head so that basically the seat floats on the rubber washer. That way the bolt will be like the deep OEM shoulder bolts used on plastic panels that torque down to frame and the plastic panel does not get squashed.

Reactions: blast
#4 ·
I did similar and it helps a lot. I used some 1/2” polycarbonate board on my gen1. I just sliced it on a table saw, And put it under the rails. I’m only 5’10”, but could have gone 3/4-1” on the raised height. I like triplplec’s rubber washer idea, since it prob absorbs shock too.

#5 ·
A fellow could, if inclined push this a tad further. Eg Raise the rear .5" and front 1.0"
This would give the same angle as I have which is more comfortable for the legs. (I am 6.0 ft) However, You'll need much longer metric bolts all around to remount the frame. I doubt very much you could go any more than that as it would cause the back to not sit properly.

Never the less its big improvement for me and my son when he also drives it.

#7 ·
I am not satisfied with the seats in the X2 either. PRP seats for the Wolverine to my understanding will not fit the X2. They and most other brands of after market seats are just too wide to fit in place of the stock seats. I tried to fit in a set of Mastercraft seats from my old Rhino . The console is a problem and also the door frame. Maybe PRP has made a set to fit as of now. I spoke to them last fall and they had not plans to look into this.

#9 ·
The point of this mod is to raise the seats height?

#12 ·
Yes, the lift at the front makes it more comfortable for the legs with it up higher since you cannot stretch them out far enough you're on your butt seated only.

#14 ·
What I've done to greatly increase my driving comfort. Given nothing is adjustable on the Wolverine. There isn't anyone I can see that would want the seats in those hole bringing if further forward. Hence I don't consider it an adjustment whatsoever.

The seat pad has some shape to it and cushion shape but for the taller rider the thigh are floating foot not as comfortable as could be. We can't move the seat further back but WE CAN TIP the seat pad UP!!

I had these big rubber washer for decade floating around nut and bolt collection and decided to use them. I measured and the 1/2" thick hard rubber. Will compress under torque so I had to buy 4 bolts approx 1 inch longer than what was there. (to do both seats) You could use a piece of wood cut by hole saw, large bolts nut all as spacers to space it off similarly.

NOTE: Start the rear thread and the front one before tightening down too much. Rear bolts were long enough for this mod, fronts need replacing.

Well Pic's worth a 1000 words they said back in the day. So have a look.
Question, to replace the bolts that hold the seat sliding rails to the floor so to speak, You have to get the bracket that holds the front bolts to replace with longer ones. However, for the life of me, I could not budge the bolts that hold that bracket. Whats up with that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.