Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running portals on my x4 for a while, even doing some trail and mountain riding. I'm working on the 2020 rear arm swap and found an issue. I thought I messed something up on the rear and started getting some camber issues. Turns out the spacing was wrong with the bushings on the rear. I have been talking to super ATV about it and working out some measurements to get this fixed.

I haven't seen others with this but my a-arm holes are ovaled out and bolts are also showing alot of wear. I replaced the lower arm with a 2020, new bolts, nuts, bushings, collars, and getting new seals. Check out pics to make sense of it.

Take measurements before you finish your portal install!

Send any questions about portals and this issue. I had to decide to grind down the portal backplate or the bushings. I went with bushings. I started with the inner part which helped some but had to take some from the outside. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is all that was needed and the easiest. Took it down 1mm just on 1 side. Did it on the rear to give me that 1mm extra offset, haha. So, just did the 4 rearward ones and all is good.

I used the side of a bench grinder to get it as flat as possible. I also cleaned up the outter edges with the grinder and inner with a file.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Trying to undrstand the issue. I just installed portals on my X2 and I recently noticed that the rear tires looked tipped inward at the top. I also noticed a squeek when I push down on the bed of the machine since installing the portals. Maybe I have the same issue? Seems like Superatv should make some new bushings that work and ship them to customers? I'll have to take a look at my machine

Reactions: Duckmans

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing. Trying to undrstand the issue. I just installed portals on my X2 and I recently noticed that the rear tires looked tipped inward at the top. I also noticed a squeek when I push down on the bed of the machine since installing the portals. Maybe I have the same issue? Seems like Superatv should make some new bushings that work and ship them to customers? I'll have to take a look at my machine
Yeah, my a-arm holes were a little oval. The center collar needs to be wider then the bushings or that will happen. Let me know if you need any help or advice!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Portals are great but they do put more wear and tear on things, so keep an eye on things. Definitely recheck your bolts after each of the first few rides. One thing that I have noticed with portals and the SuperATV forward a-arms is that the umhw bushings on the SuperATV a-arms seem to wear fairly quickly (500-1000 miles). AKHunter is going to be on his second set for the lower bushings and I am replacing mine this week on the drivers side, lower arm. Also be aware that the OEM tie rods are pretty wimpy with larger tires and portals. I upgraded to the Weller Racing tierods recently and really like the tightened steering that they provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1slo_CR
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.