Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not exactly a rough start, but it will start, idle seems really low for a second or two, then die. The second start it always fires right up, idles a little better for a few seconds then it runs fine. Doesn't do this at all on a warm start. I don't have the tach, so I can't verify the low idle, just going off the sound. I'm out of town for work right now, but I will try to get a video when I get home. I just don't want to wait until winter and it won't start, also a 6 month warranty doesn't leave a lot of time to try to figure out stuff on my own....

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's not exactly a rough start, but it will start, idle seems really low for a second or two, then die. The second start it always fires right up, idles a little better for a few seconds then it runs fine. Doesn't do this at all on a warm start. I don't have the tach, so I can't verify the low idle, just going off the sound. I'm out of town for work right now, but I will try to get a video when I get home. I just don't want to wait until winter and it won't start, also a 6 month warranty doesn't leave a lot of time to try to figure out stuff on my own....
Mine does the same thing, trying to find a decent mechanic to check my valves to see they need adjusted, but I have no clue as to what it could be.

2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
15” Quadboss Scovilles
Forceum M/T 08 LT237/75/R15
SSV Works Wolverine Audio Pod system
6000# Viper Elite Winch
72” Motoalliance Denali Pro Series Snow Plow
Yamaha Wolverine A arm guards
Yamaha Wolverine rear fender flares
2 four inch LED cubes
Super ATV half windshield
iPod 5 Touch for my tunes

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Valves were my first thought, but according to the manual, they don't need adjusted at the break-in service. The throttle bodies need sychronized according to the manual. I haven't got around to that yet. but that's where I'm leaning now. Beside that, maybe a fuel pump taking a little long? I've tried turning the key on and wait to give it a chance to prime. No difference. In the repair manual it says to ensure the correct idle before synchronizing. Since I don't have the tachometer, I was thinking I will just do it anyways. Or has anyone installed an aftermarket tach?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I will try to sychronize the TB's when I get home next week. If that doesn't get it, I'll make an appointment at the dealer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a very common issue. Mine has done it since new. Some claim that letting the fuel pump completely prime before starting. This does nothing different on my machine. Others have claimed success with the iridium ngk plugs. I'm going to order a set and try that but it really doesn't worry me. It always stays running on the second try.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not running high test fuel cures this Gen 1's.

Reactions: robert.w.smith.76

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not running high test fuel cures this Gen 1's.
I’ve ran 93 octane in mine since I got it in March.

2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
15” Quadboss Scovilles
Forceum M/T 08 LT237/75/R15
SSV Works Wolverine Audio Pod system
6000# Viper Elite Winch
72” Motoalliance Denali Pro Series Snow Plow
Yamaha Wolverine A arm guards
Yamaha Wolverine rear fender flares
2 four inch LED cubes
Super ATV half windshield
iPod 5 Touch for my tunes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine does it too on first start after machine has sat overnight...starts on second try...puzzling!🤔 have iridium spark plugs and run regular (not premium) fuel. Even does it regardless if I wait to start after all gauges are up to speed and fuel pump up to pressure...it stalls rough like its lacking fuel...like there's a air bubble in the fuel line...could an overheated fuel line the day before show itself the next day, like vapor lock...maybe insulating the fuel line if that's the case...🤔🙄

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of you having the same issue doesn't make me like it any more, but it makes me worry less. I just ordered an induction tachometer from amazon pretty cheap. I'll make a makeshift vacuum gauge for synchronizing the throttle bodies when I get home. I'll let you know if that helps, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On my X2 waiting for the fuel pump with the key on solves the second start issues. ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not mine....even ran the fuel pump 3 times key only turned to run, not start (10 seconds each time) before turning key all the way to start and it started up but still died within 3 seconds. Second "start" and away it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Change the plugs. Mine did it from all the quick on/off moving it around. One plug was fouled other was fine but changed both.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As I stated above, I had already changed the plugs to Iridium spark plugs which some claim is the fix...🤔

Reactions: robert.w.smith.76

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starting To Troubleshoot

I was going to start troubleshooting.

I did tighten throttle cable that helped a little. Find instructions here:

Going to remove air filter to see if it's related.

Glad to here likely not valve timing issue.

My 2018 X4 is ruff to start like other describe...no clear problem found yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well an update sort of...

I never got around to synchronizing the throttle bodies, but the issue has cleared up. I didn't change plugs or anything. Hadn't done it once all spring/ summer.

So maybe something related to cold weather? But I think it did it last summer. Or just a fluke that cleared itself.

I'm coming up on my next scheduled maintenance, I'dlike to have fresh oil in it before winter. I'll check the plugs thenand see if anything looks off. All I've done is ride it. Still liking it alot, but kinda wish I would have got the X4 😞

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to start troubleshooting.

I did tighten throttle cable that helped a little. Find instructions here:

Going to remove air filter to see if it's related.

Glad to here likely not valve timing issue.

My 2018 X4 is ruff to start like other describe...no clear problem found yet?
I will check the throttle adjustment also. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well what do you know....I just removed air filter under hood and started cold with no issue.

Not positive I found the problem but air filter is full of oily substance with many weeds stuck to it.

I will test again in colder weather but I suspect air intake issues were the problem....time to replace air filter or clean existing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't forget that Yamaha has issued a TSB for fuel pump replacement on certain models. The first question Yamaha will ask you to determine if you qualify for the new pump is, "Does it start hard when cold".

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've experience the exact same symptoms as Canskan. I even synchronized the carbs and run iridium plugs. Only does it when it blow 60 degrees outside. Second or third start and it purrs like a kitten and is good the rest of they day on the first start. I haven't taken it in for the TSB because its warm outside right now and won't start doing it again until late fall. Even then, I'll replace the pump even though I have warranty. The pump by itself it less than $90 on ebay. Not worth my time to drive an hour to my closet dealer and let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks before they even touch it.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Skinny pedal is suppose to have some play.
If you look at a video shortly after he did the adjustment, his cable broke.
Fluke or to tight? Dunno, but here are the recommended specs.
ThrottleCableAdjust.jpg

From what I recall, the few upgrades help eliminate the majority of the issue.
-Iridium spark plugs
-ECU flash
-Aftermarket exhaust.

I did the new plugs and flash, that solved 90% of the cold start issue. That's good enough for me.

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts