Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Yamaha Tips guide that came with the UTV, says to use hi for climbing steep hills. Also you may use 4WD. It says to use lo and 4wd if needed for descending. I have heard that low was better for climbing steep hills. That hi will cause excess belt wear. How do you approach steep hills? I have tried it both way and they both seem to work. I have been using lo more as I ride because some of the hills are rocky and require you to slow down. This may be a dumb question but I am new to a cvt system.

The owners manual talks about changing the oil and not the filter. Why would you?

I hit 221miles but not 20 hrs. I check the air filter and oil. Both still look new/clean. Would it be crazy to go to 20hrs? Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
The reason for changing the oil is because of break in, while breaking in the engine metal parts wear into place causing little metal filings. These filings are what you want out of the motor not the dirty oil

·
Registered
242 Posts
All steep hills in low with diff lock, gentle hills usually in high, unless I am pulling equipment.

Just did the first service at 20 hours:
1. Oil and filter.
2. Gear oil.
3. New spark plug.
4. Cleaned air filter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I personally always use 4 wheel drive and low on steep rocky hills ,I think it's easier on the machine because so many times you must slow down on a climb to get over some rocky and it gives you the power to take off again... a lot of people like to say I did that in high range and two wheel but and a lot of times it ok but the worst thing any rider could do is power out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm going to put a hunterworks sheave and slug kit in mine as it will make the low end even better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Yamaha looked at the guys that are riding in the worse conditions. Then wrote the manual around those conditions. A couple qts of oil is cheap. So I will change it and again at 400 because I believe it is still in break in mode up to 500 miles. Reading over the owners manual again this morning. It does say air filter 20 to 40 hrs. depending on conditions. I bet if used oil was sent in for analyses the report would read, no service needed. That said for the first 6 months I will change the oil and keep receipts and log all service. Changing the oil every 200 miles it might be ok to do filter every other.

I did a search on using hi lo gear on hills and found a few other site where it had been discussed. A rule of thumb for me will be hills without obstacles hi gear with obstacle low. 4wd drive when needed. Low for going down steeper hills with obstacles.

Thanks for the replies..... Any time you want to include and this is why I do it. I would like to read that very much.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If your changing the oil it is best to change the filter at the same time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your changing the oil it is best to change the filter at the same time.
I have never done a oil change without a oil filter. That said I have never changed the oil ever 200 miles. After break in is complete, I will check the oil regularly but will not change it until it needed. I will change the filter at that time as well. Oil that still looks new will not be changed. Thank You for your sharing your views. Nothing at this point is carved in stone for me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Personally, I do not use 4 wheel drive going down hills. In 4x4 if you hit a bump and the rear wheels jump off the ground with the fronts still on the ground gripping, it can send you over forward pretty quick. I haven't seen that happen on a sxs, but have seen and experienced it on 4 wheelers before.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
My oil hasn't ever looked new when changed, but it's never been black. Remember these have a wet clutch that can contaminate the oil faster. Use my wet clutch an awful lot I find, was thinking about it when doing the many hill climbs and rock crawls over the weekend. Bet in just one little section of trail, I've stopped and started off that clutch a good 100 times. It's a series of climbs, crawls through a bunch of switchbacks.

2wd low for trail riding normally, 0-30mph range. Only really use high if hitting a service road for 30+ travel.
Muddy trails and 4wd is fine to help with some bite when cornering. With the mud tires, I like to use 4wd almost all the time. Just has a better feel.

Only use 4wd diff lock when serious hill climbing or crawling. I noticed it did help with an off camber sand bank out of a creek. Mostly want to use it when you know only 3 tires may be touching the ground at a time. This will make sure the front one touching will be spinning too. The turning radius gets big when you have 4w diff lock engaged so not good for tight turning stuff.
Oh Diff lock is good for mud holes too :D Make sure all 4 are pulling no matter what. For mud over the wheels, many times if you lose momentum and have to switch from 2wd into 4wd. You are done and may as well break out the winch. Never understood why guys keep saying "I went through it in 2wd then tried 4wd". Well, if you started off with 4wd, I wouldn't be pulling you out now. Must be they have to stop to change from 2wd to 4wd. All you need to do with the wolverine is just hit the 4wd selector then blip off the throttle. 4wd will engage while moving just fine.

Last weekend my buddy mentioned "Raging the Trail". LOL That's when you use 4wd and have the gas pegged out of every corner and only let off to hard brake going into the next. That's not my normal state but it's been know to happen. Not many that can keep up with a Raging Wolverine in tight trails. With the sheave, PCV and 28" tires low gives about 46mph.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My oil hasn't ever looked new when changed, but it's never been black. Remember these have a wet clutch that can contaminate the oil faster. Use my wet clutch an awful lot I find, was thinking about it when doing the many hill climbs and rock crawls over the weekend. Bet in just one little section of trail, I've stopped and started off that clutch a good 100 times. It's a series of climbs, crawls through a bunch of switchbacks.

2wd low for trail riding normally, 0-30mph range. Only really use high if hitting a service road for 30+ travel.
Muddy trails and 4wd is fine to help with some bite when cornering. With the mud tires, I like to use 4wd almost all the time. Just has a better feel.

Only use 4wd diff lock when serious hill climbing or crawling. I noticed it did help with an off camber sand bank out of a creek. Mostly want to use it when you know only 3 tires may be touching the ground at a time. This will make sure the front one touching will be spinning too. The turning radius gets big when you have 4w diff lock engaged so not good for tight turning stuff.
Oh Diff lock is good for mud holes too :D Make sure all 4 are pulling no matter what. For mud over the wheels, many times if you lose momentum and have to switch from 2wd into 4wd. You are done and may as well break out the winch. Never understood why guys keep saying "I went through it in 2wd then tried 4wd". Well, if you started off with 4wd, I wouldn't be pulling you out now. Must be they have to stop to change from 2wd to 4wd. All you need to do with the wolverine is just hit the 4wd selector then blip off the throttle. 4wd will engage while moving just fine.

Last weekend my buddy mentioned "Raging the Trail". LOL That's when you use 4wd and have the gas pegged out of every corner and only let off to hard brake going into the next. That's not my normal state but it's been know to happen. Not many that can keep up with a Raging Wolverine in tight trails. With the sheave, PCV and 28" tires low gives about 46mph.
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't wait for the oil to turn black that's for sure. I run Mobil 1 for motorcycles in my Harley, it has a wet clutch system. Normally change it every 5k but have changed it more often if it starts to look bad early. Usually in hotter weather. On the Yamaha I have held my speed in low to about 15mph. Glad to hear that up to 30 MPH is a option. Even in hi at 25 mph I have felt the need to shift to a higher gear. Takes some time getting use to the CVT. Now that 221MPH and 17 hrs are behind me. I will start pushing a little harder. Once I get the new wheel/tire package it will be time for some real fun.

I have watched some ytube stuff....Yall really do have mud in your blood. As far as I know we have nothing to compare with it.

Last weekend my buddy mentioned "Raging the Trail". LOL That's when you use 4wd and have the gas pegged out of every corner and only let off to hard brake going into the next. That's not my normal state but it's been know to happen. Not many that can keep up with a Raging Wolverine in tight trails. With the sheave, PCV and 28" tires low gives about 46mph. WOW that sounds like my kind of riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts