Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the sway bar off and better suspension and not too bad on high speed corners. Will wait until I get the belt kit and Yamaha aluminum skid plates for serious rock crawling. Also a-arm guards. I will need a really low gear for the Stupid Hard low speed stuff so I won't smoke the wet clutch. The super low gear on my Pioneer 500 has spoiled me a bit. Right now I ride the easy stuff and keep the speed at 6 mph and above. If I can't get a low enough gear with the belt drive kit I will run smaller tires and add more spring preload for the necessary ground clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
x2 on slugging the wet clutch. provides a more positive feel upon engagement.

glad to see somebody took the sway bar off. it would have to give more articulation for rock crawling or uneven terrain.
if you look at the way the sway bar is set up it looks more like a travel "equalizer." it limits the amount of travel that the opposing wheel moves, giving a more stable ride in corners.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Took the sway bar off and better suspension and not too bad on high speed corners. Will wait until I get the belt kit and Yamaha aluminum skid plates for serious rock crawling. Also a-arm guards. I will need a really low gear for the Stupid Hard low speed stuff so I won't smoke the wet clutch. The super low gear on my Pioneer 500 has spoiled me a bit. Right now I ride the easy stuff and keep the speed at 6 mph and above. If I can't get a low enough gear with the belt drive kit I will run smaller tires and add more spring preload for the necessary ground clearance.
Bob, I am confused. You are adding "Yamaha aluminum skid plates"? Will that mount to the existing plate or?

·
Registered
31 Posts
the wet clutch acts like a centrifugal clutch. speed forces the clutch pads outward to engage the clutch drum, which causes the primary sheave to turn the drive shafts.

when you add weight to the clutch pads, it makes the pads hit harder and grab the clutch drum stronger.

there's a really good video by yamaha explaining how it all works together:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.