Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the sway bar off and better suspension and not too bad on high speed corners. Will wait until I get the belt kit and Yamaha aluminum skid plates for serious rock crawling. Also a-arm guards. I will need a really low gear for the Stupid Hard low speed stuff so I won't smoke the wet clutch. The super low gear on my Pioneer 500 has spoiled me a bit. Right now I ride the easy stuff and keep the speed at 6 mph and above. If I can't get a low enough gear with the belt drive kit I will run smaller tires and add more spring preload for the necessary ground clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well used 27 inch Big Horns off my Honda Pioneer 500. I will use 26 or 27's depending on the belt drive kit and low gear. 29 Big Horns on 14 inch wheels would be nice but they may gear it up too much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
x2 on slugging the wet clutch. provides a more positive feel upon engagement.

glad to see somebody took the sway bar off. it would have to give more articulation for rock crawling or uneven terrain.
if you look at the way the sway bar is set up it looks more like a travel "equalizer." it limits the amount of travel that the opposing wheel moves, giving a more stable ride in corners.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Took the sway bar off and better suspension and not too bad on high speed corners. Will wait until I get the belt kit and Yamaha aluminum skid plates for serious rock crawling. Also a-arm guards. I will need a really low gear for the Stupid Hard low speed stuff so I won't smoke the wet clutch. The super low gear on my Pioneer 500 has spoiled me a bit. Right now I ride the easy stuff and keep the speed at 6 mph and above. If I can't get a low enough gear with the belt drive kit I will run smaller tires and add more spring preload for the necessary ground clearance.
Bob, I am confused. You are adding "Yamaha aluminum skid plates"? Will that mount to the existing plate or?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the Yamaha aluminum skid plates have special fasteners that attach to the welded in steel skids. They should be good for $500. I got the A-arm guards on order too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From Yamaha
2MB-F31A0-V0-00 FRONT A-ARM SKID PLATE $169.99
2MB-F21A0-V0-00 REAR A-ARM SKID PLATE $169.99
2MB-F84N0-V0-00 FRONT FRAME SKID PLATE $499.99

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Interesting, I wonder why they are not listed on their part and accessories website. All they have is the skid plate set that I saw. No A-Arm Guards. I will have to see about getting these. Thanks Bob!

·
Vendor
764 Posts
I have the slug kits in stock for the wolverine, just not on the site yet

I need to make a wolverine page and start adding products.

I have a good problem to have not much free time at work.

Todd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought my wolverine Tuesday and haven't had it out yet but today is the day! I've been wondering how do they do in mud and on hill climbs as in how steep before u need to worry about rolling

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I'll be heading out with mine tonight too! Camping all weekend! I will be sure to report the results next week. Lots of rocks, mud, hill climbs, woods, very diverse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what does a slug kit and weights actually do for your rig? I don't wanna lose too much top end speed but more low to mid range power is always welcome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the wet clutch acts like a centrifugal clutch. speed forces the clutch pads outward to engage the clutch drum, which causes the primary sheave to turn the drive shafts.

when you add weight to the clutch pads, it makes the pads hit harder and grab the clutch drum stronger.

there's a really good video by yamaha explaining how it all works together:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts