Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post new to the site just got my rmax4 a week ago have a couple rides in love this thing all the power in the world only issue is a clicking noise I can’t find sound like a cv axle binding up but it’s not can’t feel anything in the steering wheel either seen a post about exhaust rattle but I swear it’s coming from the front end. It has done this since the first ride any thoughts or known issue would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Maybe you got one of the ones with the transmission bearing issue that will destroy it when it goes out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope not it doesn't seem to affect the drive train weather I'm accelerating or decelerating or at a steady speed

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope not it doesn't seem to affect the drive train weather I'm accelerating or decelerating or at a steady speed
Seems pretty common and no one has found the cause yet. Mine has it. It did it all the time the first 30 miles but the last couple hundred miles it has been quite rare. Usually around 30-40 mph but it's not consistent even then.

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
552 Posts
Check out the post from Massive, he may have narrowed it down to what has been causing it, I myself will do what he did and will test extensively all next week while on vacation.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems pretty common and no one has found the cause yet. Mine has it. It did it all the time the first 30 miles but the last couple hundred miles it has been quite rare. Usually around 30-40 mph but it's not consistent even then.
Okay mine is the same thing at first I thought someone tied a zip tie around something lol but mine seems to be more wen the machine has been warmed up and been riding for a while

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
why would you through something like that out and make the guy worried. Not cool.
Because some of these have had a catastrophic failure early on. There are a few posts about it.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,825 Posts
Because some of these have had a catastrophic failure early on. There are a few posts about it.
Yeah, but everyone who's been following the transmission failure thread and the flapping issue know that the two have NOTHING in common with each other. It's an arduous process to dispel all the myths and rumors being spread. Unless you have good knowledge of an issue, you're better off not speculating.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax 4 1000 base
11 Posts
I have had this ”clicking noise” since mile 2. Also at mile 11 had the transmission failure. I am now over 200 miles after the repair and have had the clicking noise still. Headed into the dealer for the first service, since they wanted to do it after the trans issue. Hopefully they can come up with something. Been great running and riding either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had this ”clicking noise” since mile 2. Also at mile 11 had the transmission failure. I am now over 200 miles after the repair and have had the clicking noise still. Headed into the dealer for the first service, since they wanted to do it after the trans issue. Hopefully they can come up with something. Been great running and riding either way.
Hopefully they can give you an answer

·
Registered
227 Posts
I assume you looked at the basics like tightening the lug nuts, etc. Could it be the front wheel 4x4 drive connect mechanism is not adjusted quite right? A lot of noises can throw you off because they tend to 'telegraph' the noise to a different area then from where it is actually coming from. Could it be loose suspension parts, or steering parts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
just a thought here now that i have spent more time riding, it may be coming from inside the engine oil jug, i had the engine idling after an oil change, without the dipstick and the noise coming from inside the tank reminded me of the clicking, maybe air bubbles from the lines feeding the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume you looked at the basics like tightening the lug nuts, etc. Could it be the front wheel 4x4 drive connect mechanism is not adjusted quite right? A lot of noises can throw you off because they tend to 'telegraph' the noise to a different area then from where it is actually coming from. Could it be loose suspension parts, or steering parts?
ya i checked to make sure there wasnt a ton o play on anything i could pull or tug on and lugs are good

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just a thought here now that i have spent more time riding, it may be coming from inside the engine oil jug, i had the engine idling after an oil change, without the dipstick and the noise coming from inside the tank reminded me of the clicking, maybe air bubbles from the lines feeding the tank.
mine doesn't do it at an idle only when moving but it could be possible to come from inside the oil tank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi this is my first post new to the site just got my rmax4 a week ago have a couple rides in love this thing all the power in the world only issue is a clicking noise I can’t find sound like a cv axle binding up but it’s not can’t feel anything in the steering wheel either seen a post about exhaust rattle but I swear it’s coming from the front end. It has done this since the first ride any thoughts or known issue would be much appreciated
It is play or back lash in the front drive shaft put the rmax on a flat surface release the park brake put in low gear with one hand around the front drive shaft put your other hand on the front tire and rock the machine back and forth you will hear and feel the reason for the clicking noise if you get it center in its travel you can rotate the drive back and forth with your hand and get the same noise

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is play or back lash in the front drive shaft put the rmax on a flat surface release the park brake put in low gear with one hand around the front drive shaft put your other hand on the front tire and rock the machine back and forth you will hear and feel the reason for the clicking noise if you get it center in its travel you can rotate the drive shaft drive back and forth with your hand and get the same noise

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had this rattle at about 40 kph and I ended up removing the park brake assembly and the noise is gone. I still have a drive line clunk when on and off the gas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had this rattle at about 40 kph and I ended up removing the park brake assembly and the noise is gone. I still have a drive line clunk when on and off the gas.
I am not that mechanically inclined but I you saying you no longer have a parking brake?

I have heard that tightening up your parking brake has helped with some of these clicking noises. I think mine clicks 7 times before the brake holds and guys suggested tightening down to where 3-4 clicks would hold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts