1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to this Forum.
I have a 21' RMAX 4.

I took it out to the desert last week and rolled it on its side.
Thank God I had the wench as I couldn't lift it back up with two people.
I wenched around the roots of a nearby bush and I pulled it up enough to push back over. * That part was awesome!!*
Bad news is I bent the passenger front tie rod and its steering is way off now.
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I contacted Yamaha and they are telling me there are none in the whole country.
Attached is a pic.
I have a trip planned for this weekend that I don't want to cancel.
Do you think its possible to bend the tie rod back straight and use if for light duty this weekend?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I did the same to my X4. Do your self a favor and get an inner and an outer. My outer failed two rides later. My assumption is the hit weakened the outer too but I couldn't see it. It sheared off at the threads.

As far as getting one, try Rocky Mountain ATV.

I would not try straightening if for any serious trails or high speed riding. Maybe I'd try it for putting around under 10 mph on flat land.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you heat it to a light orange and bend it back evenly it will go again. It would be slightly weaker but it would do the job until it takes another hard impact.

I would separate the tie rod from spindle and remove the tie rod end and support the tie rod while you heat the bend and use a pipe over the end to straighten it out. Work quickly and put cool rags up around where the rubber boot starts.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,351 Posts
Hello,

New to this Forum.
I have a 21' RMAX 4.

I took it out to the desert last week and rolled it on its side.
Thank God I had the wench as I couldn't lift it back up with two people.
I wenched around the roots of a nearby bush and I pulled it up enough to push back over. * That part was awesome!!*
Bad news is I bent the passenger front tie rod and its steering is way off now.
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I contacted Yamaha and they are telling me there are none in the whole country.
Attached is a pic.
I have a trip planned for this weekend that I don't want to cancel.
Do you think its possible to bend the tie rod back straight and use if for light duty this weekend?
I'd straighten it and weld on another piece of rod or angle to beef it up for a temp and maybe a spare.

Reactions: therebel19 and Trav
1 - 5 of 5 Posts