Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes the shims will give you more low end. You can use one or both of the shims, .5mm for a slight increase in low end, 1mm for more or both 1.5mm for even more low end.
I had 1.5mm in my Kodiak and loved it, any more and you run the risk of the belt rubbing on the case, especially is you have a machined sheave like I did on my Kodiak so I had to use less shims with that. You can check out your sheave ratio by rotating the secondary one full turn and counting the primary rotations. Example in picture attached. all that said I did add 1.5 mm to my Viking thinking that because I loved that in the Kodiak but I hated it in the Viking and after only 5-10 miles they came back out.
At 3.0:1 is where you may/probably will start having a belt rub on the case The higher the ratio the higher the belt rides in the secondary at low speeds.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Gauge Automotive wheel system

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
651 Posts
We can’t really compare the Viking ratio with the Rmax
Rmax has lots of room in the cover regarding belt rub and it’s 2.9:1 brand new and mine was 3.05:1 at 1000 miles stock.With a stock sheave a 1mm shim it’s 3.25:1 and no where near contacting the cover.

The limits will be way beyond that with the Weller sheave and shims. Roughly around 3.45:1 and ample cover clearance.
Yup, I understand…sorry if I was miss leading with that information, I was trying to just give an example and the above photo is actually from my Kodiak 700. I realize they are all different but thanks for sharing that because I never would have thought there was that big of a difference.

Reactions: Budro2
1 - 2 of 2 Posts