Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question has anyone encountered the dump box alignment off causing the box to rub on the factory glass rear window kit ? I have checked quite thoroughly underneath and it appears to me that where it is hinged it is welded to the frame and pins are uses as part of the hinge system, this alignment problem is also causing me not to be able to install the plastic door shroud that is supplied with the back window kit for the solid doors.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Paul

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
With zero adjustability in regards to the bed, this sounds like a problem for Yamaha to address through the dealer.
Let the dealer confirm the proper installation of the rear window and send pics to Yamaha.
The only real solution will be cutting off the brackets at the hinge point and welding them back on in proper alignment.

You kind of get what you get regarding the bed, some latch well, while others have a lot of slack on one or both sides. Mine has slack on the passenger but latches tight on the driver. No adjustment what so ever.
One guy with an early X model would have his just open up while bouncing around driving.

Sounds like yours just missed a bit of quality control at the factory.

Reactions: Paul65

· Registered
288 Posts
I had mine completely off trying to get it to move 1/4" back, no dice. Also, if you mess with it, make sure your tailgate latches perfectly. Mine was a little off and the misalignment required me to pull a little hard to open the latch. The innards of the latch are light duty and failed.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't cut a re welded the hinges.
Mine actually works fine. It’s aligned properly, it just has slack on the passenger side if you pull up without releasing the latch, however, it doesn’t rattle while driving so I don’t see a need to change anything.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Mine actually works fine. It’s aligned properly, it just has slack on the passenger side if you pull up without releasing the latch, however, it doesn’t rattle while driving so I don’t see a need to change anything.
Change anything YET. I've followed your builds and I bet one day you'll get the hankering to make that other latch not have any slack. You have the tools and knowledge how to do it and your work looks like you like things to be prefect (a good thing). I could be wrong. Your one of the few on here I'd trust to make everything right. However, I have no dog in this fight, I don't have a dump bed.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
Change anything YET. I've followed your builds and I bet one day you'll get the hankering to make that other latch not have any slack. You have the tools and knowledge how to do it and your work looks like you like things to be prefect (a good thing). I could be wrong. Your one of the few on here I'd trust to make everything right. However, I have no dog in this fight, I don't have a dump bed.
I have thought on it and I think I have the answer at the latch itself. My OCD almost made me try but since it doesn’t make noise or jump around I decided not to grind paint, burn paint, repaint…….. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: therebel19

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot guys honestly Im not crazy about grinding off the hinge brackets and welding n painting my new machine that to me is just unacceptable have a appointment at dealership in two days cant wait to hear their solution to the problem but I know right now Im not going to be pleased. The total cab enclosure was my only reason that I purchased the Rmax not to be in a partial enclosed in winter and heavy rain.
Thanks Paul

I will keep updating as this process goes on.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back from the dealer yesterday, they took photos and are sending them off to yamaha dealer feels they might suggest that a frame swap might be a possible solution I want nothing to do with a local technician that may see 2 or 3 Rmax per year strip my new SxS down every nut and bolt and have me think it is back together as it came from the factory.
Sorry no.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
I would suggest a complete machine swap!

It’s a worth a try.
My dealer service manager told me more than a few times he’s seen a customer be such a squeaky wheel over something that they got a whole new machine.

I’d say this would be a situation where it’s justified.

Reactions: therebel19

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer called and said bring it in and drop it off for a few day they want to take box off and take more pictures for Yamaha I declined as I am riding after the 9 month wait plus its 25km trailer ride to the dealership not to mention I already had it there for measurements and photos. Dealer stated Yamaha is aware of the problem after measuring a couple of in stock units that have the same misalignment issue, Dealer feels Yamaha are going to want a local fabricator to weld up the pin hole and re drill ti obtain proper alignment.
I told the dealer I would take the pictures myself and send them to him, I can see where this is headed Yamaha wanting to butcher a new machine.
Further updates to follow as they arrive.

· Registered
3 Posts
Follow-Up Sorry for the delay
I had it back to my dealer who was excellent and referred my issue to Yamaha Canada. Yamaha Canada thanked me for bringing this to their attention and confirmed that it was in fact a problem with several RMAX2 1000 units they had available to measure the (welded fixed dump box hinge bracket) the brackets 2 are out of square and are causing the misalignment on my unit (exactly what I had told them) If you read my original post I have OEM Glass Rear Window and the box rubs on the plastic when closing and the gap is so close that I can't install the plastic shroud (Passenger Side).
So It wasn't long they reached out to myself and my dealer and said they have a fix They sent me a couple of different size bolts and 2 clip nuts ( They suggested that I take the lower brackets off rear of the roll cage that attaches to the back window plastics and turn it backwards as to what the instructions state and this would draw the back window in and allow the proper room for the door shroud to be mounted) Long story Short this did not work) So I opted not to keep the solid OEM glass doors.
I didn't go back to the dealer I just advised Yamaha Canada that the bolts didn't fit properly and stripped in the clip nut they supplied me, they in turn said that quite a bit of Jimmying had to be done to get it to fit properly and this was a temporary fix, I had no reply to that as I knew the problem was in the alignment of the welded on hinge brackets on the rear of the Rmax frame.

· Registered
1,877 Posts
Wow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts