Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yea my RMAX 4 skid plate is metal and the bash plate is plastic. Moving the skid to a plastic based something would be worth doing in my mind to help when high centered. Seems like it'd slide off easier but that may be faulty logic.
UHMW slides like a dream. Aluminum grabs and hangs up worse the than the stock skids, bends, deforms requires maintenance and straitening.
I’ll never have aluminum again!

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
569 Posts
I am running yamaha umhw skids. No bash yet. Rock sliders, alum. Great fit, easy install, good stuff.
I'll probably go with the same set up as you because I can notch the Factory rock sliders for my HiLift jack point. I understand the factory sliders are made of steel. Squishy aluminum just won't cut it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The aluminum isn't necessarily bad as longs as what your using them against is softer than the aluminum. I like the looks of the Yamaha tree kickers (especially when they are painted) and they should work good again trees and dirt but for rocks, they are going to take a beating. You all have to figure out what works for you and your riding. For ultimate protection go with trail armor or factory utv. For than stock protection, then Yamaha's add on skids. Looks are a personal preference.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It appears there are 2 holes are drilled into the tree kickers for mounting... I'm on the fence about that. Drilling the belly pan is one thing but not a big fan of drilling into the frame, but that's just me.
Automotive tire Sleeve Automotive lighting Terrestrial plant Font

The Factory UTV don't have those funky half holes at the front and rear like Trail Armor skids but not sure I could justify an extra 300 bucks for that detail.
Sleeve Wood Astronomical object Table Button

Each of these look like they will provide the added protection but see pro's and con's with both. I have the OEM bash plate, A-arm guards and rock sliders so will likely stay with OEM when I pull the trigger on a skid plate. Yamaha accessories are spendy but you know they're high quality and will fit correctly (when you can find them). According to Yami's website, the skids are currently available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
According to Yami's website, the brushguard is also available, until you order one and then they immediately charge you for it and then leave you sit. When you finally get sick of waiting you drop them an e-mail and then they tell you when the 'tentative' date is for their fulfillment. In the brushguard example, it's January of next year for the OEM one for the 2021 RMAX 1000. :-/

·
Registered
383 Posts
In the brushguard example, it's January of next year for the OEM one for the 2021 RMAX 1000.
Yep, the supply chain in general is messed up for sure and there doesn't seem to be a near term fix. Going thru my dealer for OEM stuff has been the least painful for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 LE
55 Posts
Like my KRX it is metal welded skids. Now this is great but not good either as metal bends and stays that way. UTV will be bashed and bent but fully functional. Ya cant fix this unless ya welding n cutting. Also it is Heavy. Wrap em in umhw stuff and it is perfect. Imagine selling it in 5 years, buyer looks under it and says "Jeez" wats up? Frame dinged all to heck... Etc. Cant repair this stuff imop. Metal shouldnt be there but umhw instead factory. I would think it helps with frame stiffness though? I like the metal AND skids and feel invincible now! Lol.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts