Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yah, I understand what your saying. I'm a pretty good mechanic with these things and do most of my own work at all levels, I've even rebuilt a few engines (valves, pistons, cams, timing chains, etc), but getting older and do not care much to do that anymore. But I'll tackle most of the rest, my one plug for Polaris is parts cost is usually reasonable (may need to be) and everyone makes accessories. I Ripped a CV boot on my general last weekend and was looking online, hell I can get a whole rear drive shaft fully assembled now for the General for $65 bucks from Moose manufacturing, they usually make good stuff; that shocked me!! For that I'll carry an extra. Dealer is tempting me, says I can get more for my General now than I paid for it; he's going to call me when they get an RMax (deluxe edition, I know it's not called that, but what ever) in stock for me to test ride. Just looking for a few honest opinions; I usually keep my stuff a long time, I ride it hard at times but it always gets cleaned up, checked over and plenty of TLC after rides.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
I saw two Generals on my ride a week ago. Neither looked anything special. First one has orange rear arms and the ground clearance looked quite low. The arms were horizontal as well, so the spring setting was quite soft. The other didn't have a suspension colour at all likely a different vintage but did not impress me at all.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Sorry I wasn't aware they were like that. It was perceived to be Polaris top dog!! Looked like it was on its last legs to other machines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You were looking at a general standard not the XP, the XP has the longer A-Arms with the slight down bend in them and the 31" tires. The General XP would be the comparable model to the Rmax, it's 6" or so wider than the non-xp. One of my problems with the General XP and the RMax is that extra width, they will not fit down some of our trails, I like the slightly smaller footprint, always a trade off... I know.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
XP squats too. The bottom of the rear diff seats below the lower radius arms when trail riding. Polaris is very shady about measuring suspension travel and ground clearance differently than Yamaha. JRAoffroad has explained it on this forum in other threads and he is correct. CanAM take similar measurements. Watch videos or go look at one in person and you'll see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know what your talking about and I have seen them in person, setting side by side in-fact. They do for sure have a different stance. Like I said, I'm going to go take one for a drive when they get one in, they have a few of the basic model on the floor now; dealer was literally getting one out for me to drive when he saw me pull up(picking up parts for the General :LOL:), but I had to get to the golf course, I was running late, Didn't have time to drive it. I still like the looks of the General over the RMax, RMax is too busy, too much going on with all the plastic going in every direction (mainly the front end), I don't care for the doors and that shoulder bar thingy either when sitting in one (and getting in and out); but I can let it grow on me; waiting for the XT-R or Limited to show up and going to go kick the tires and take for a spin.
Or just talk myself out of it!
Either way I apprecate the info, been reading on this forum, the Polaris General forum and a few others. It can be hard to get unbiased opinions on this stuff, you kind-of have to sift through it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...I don't care for the doors and that shoulder bar thingy either when sitting in one (and getting in and out); but I can let it grow on me; waiting for the XT-R or Limited to show up and going to go kick the tires and take for a spin.
If you're going to keep the machine for a long time I'd be leaning towards the RMax, it's based off of the X4 which is basically bullet proof. RMax had a small number of issues early on that I would call defective from the factory more so than chronic machine issues. So assuming you don't luck out and get one of them(which could happen with any brand tbh), you're likely getting a long term bullet proof machine.

I'm going to be sad the day Yamaha no longer releases machines with shoulder bolsters because of all you guys commenting😂. Throughout the day of riding, one of my positions is fully leaning on the shoulder bolster, I actually like having them, then not to mention the added safety factor, that 1/100 chance of tipping over and smashing your shoulder into a protruding rock would not be fun... I can see how very large people would prefer not to have them though.

I don't mind the 4 seat utilitarian look of the General either, but aside from looks, a question I'd be asking myself is why would I buy a General over an RMax? Unless your rear passengers greatly prefer the General, or you have some unique terrain where you prefer the General's longer wheel base, I think the RMax comes out as the better machine.

Regardless of what you decide, let us know what your first impressions are of the two after your test drives, I'm curious to know.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Test drive is the best thing you can do before buying anything. I'm with Dan on the shoulder bolsters and I am a big guy 6'4 290 lbs but they don't bother me and I find myself leaning on them too. And I have been on my side and those things work in keeping you in and rocks hitting you when you go over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll keep you posted, if yamaha makes stuff 60% as good as they used to..... it's a no brainer, I literally just sold my last Wolverine 350 4x4 atv; I had a white 2005 and blue 2003, you talk about bullet proof machines! They were my boys (now 22 and 25) 2nd machine after graduating from the Honda trx 90's; it took me so long to sell them because they were just awesome little machines. If I had to pick one quad to take to a foreign planet and could only take gas/oil/tires; that's what I'd take, hell with the 5 speed traditional gear box, I could even get by without ever replacing brakes! Possible the best all around funish-utility-ish quad ever made and nearly impossible to tear up.... IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got to correct myself I had a 1998 and 2003 Wolverine 350 my boys rode for years, and they always came along on big rides as "spares" for when someone's XXXXX would break down; the 98 was a bit notchy to shift but once you got used to her she was as reliable as a June day is long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love the old manual trannys but, I'm past that point in my life; I like the mud and water splashing around me not in my face or my beer. I still have a jeep and Mustang with manual transmissions, that scratch's my itch. Not to mention I had to get a side by side so my boys could come along with me on rides.... not my 2 legged boys, they are on their own.

The real reason I purchased my first side x side, really, not joking! When it's at the house they jump in and will not get out until I take them for a ride, they will literally sit in there for hours. I have to see what they think of the RMax as well. Oh and my wife likes the side x side better than the Can-Am Outlander as well, not getting rid of it or the wife..... for now .

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
I tried to rub their noses. I couldn't quite reach, too bad they missed the rub...woof.

·
Registered
RMAX 1000 SE (XTR)
4 Posts
Friend of mine picked up a General XP 1000 a day after I received my RMAX 2 XTR/SE.....(he ordered his 2 months after I did). We've been out together quite a bit and we had a chance to switch and try each others out to compare. I'm going to take some heat here, but I'm writing this from a non-biased point of view as I have owned BRP, Arctic Cat, Polaris, and now Yamaha. I have always known Yamaha to be top quality and reliable, but they've always been so damn ugly up until the RMAX came out...just being honest.
I know the specs on the RMAX suspension indicate that it should be better....well, it's simply not true. I set the suspension to the softest setting on mine and the Polaris was still a smoother ride. So much so, that I found myself constantly looking back to see how bad he was getting rattled around when I was getting rag dolled in the cab and it looked like he was floating. I also feel the power delivery is smoother on the General - not saying there is a huge difference, but I did take note that it felt smoother than mine. The Polaris is also quieter - again, not by huge margins, but to me - it was quieter.
There is definitely more space for the driver in the General. Not so much length wise (very similar for outward leg room), but at the knees in width as the Polaris door bows out somewhat and at the shoulders obviously because of the rollover pads on the RMAX. I'm 6'-2" and once I'm settled in either, both are comfortable, but I do think there is more space in the General for the Driver. I feel the opposite is true for the Passenger - more space in the RMAX. Both great machines - I would disagree with anyone who thinks one is marginally better than the other. The RMAX looks more aggressive and has the edge in top speed, etc - but we're splitting hairs. The end result is - Polaris doesn't have to do alot in order to take the lead again. More HP and some fine tuning of the cab (soft touch and better looking/quality plastic) and they are back in the drivers seat for king of the class in my opinion. One other surprising thing I noted....when I owned a Polaris ATV, the fit and finish of the unit was it's downfall. If you closed your eyes and closed the tailgate on the General, and then closed the tailgate on the Yamaha, nobody would pick the feel of the Yamaha as the General has a nice, soft and definite close type feel. I know not an important element to most, but it was surprising to me as the Polaris has refined their fit and finish in areas since my last unit I had.
Would I change my mind knowing what I know now - No, I wouldn't because I'm happy with the RMAX (aside from the brake squeaking and mysterious knocking noise) and for the price difference (General was approx $ 35 can tax in and mine was $ 33k tax in) I feel that's enough money for what they are. I should note that my friend actually wanted an RMAX originally, but was told he probably couldn't get one and settled on the General. I don't think he has any hindsight either as I believe he prefers his choice after trying mine. Stereo in the General is badass....but again, open your wallet.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice, thanks a ton for the honest review. Like you, I have a buddy who has owned all but the RMax, he went to Can-Ams a few years ago, then took his new CanAm on a big ride in the hills of Tennessee; rode for three days, another guy had a 2016 general standard, nothing special, and he wouldn't keep up; not because he couldn't, he said the ride was so much more brutal in his CanAm it wasn't worth trying to keep up. When he got home he traded for a new Polaris; it was his advice that made me not go with a CanAm Maverick. And as I've said the RMax wasn't available, I really liked the Wolverine 800 but it didn't have enough leg room for me and it just didn't have the power to fun factor the General offered.
Still going to go take a RMax for a spin when the stealer gets one in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...I set the suspension to the softest setting on mine and the Polaris was still a smoother ride.
...I also feel the power delivery is smoother on the General - not saying there is a huge difference, but I did take note that it felt smoother than mine.
The Polaris is also quieter - again, not by huge margins, but to me - it was quieter.
...The end result is - Polaris doesn't have to do alot in order to take the lead again...
Thanks for the share, always nice to know first hand info/comparisons. The reality is the General, RMax, and new Commander are all great machines. Imo they're all so impressive that it'll basically come down to personal and brand preference/reliability most of the time. But just as Polaris can make subtle improvements, so will Yamaha...

...then took his new CanAm on a big ride in the hills of Tennessee; rode for three days, another guy had a 2016 general standard, nothing special, and he wouldn't keep up; not because he couldn't, he said the ride was so much more brutal in his CanAm it wasn't worth trying to keep up
...And as I've said the RMax wasn't available, I really liked the Wolverine 800 but it didn't have enough leg room for me and it just didn't have the power to fun factor the General offered...
Are you saying the new 2021 CanAm couldn't keep up, that seems odd to me. I've ridden in one and it blew the doors off of my X4 850 for ride quality. Man if that thing rides "rough", the General and RMax must be a cloud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the share, always nice to know first hand info/comparisons. The reality is the General, RMax, and new Commander are all great machines. Imo they're all so impressive that it'll basically come down to personal and brand preference/reliability most of the time. But just as Polaris can make subtle improvements, so will Yamaha...

Are you saying the new 2021 CanAm couldn't keep up, that seems odd to me. I've ridden in one and it blew the doors off of my X4 850 for ride quality. Man if that thing rides "rough", the General and RMax must be a cloud.
Yah, he said compared to his Maverick the General rode very nicely, the conditions were rough. He was very impressed, the Maverick would more than keep on on the fire-roads; it was just very rough on the washout-rock-strewn nasty trails. Don't throw me under a bus here, he's a good fellow who has owed, rode, wrecked, raced and had stolen at one time or another just about every quad and UTV around; so I valued his opinion. He's one of those middle aged people who never married (at least not yet) is gainfully employed, lives modestly, and has owned every toy most ever dreamed of because he can afford it. Also one of those people who never keeps anything for more than 12-14months and somehow usually comes out smelling like a rose.... We all know one or two of these people.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yah, he said compared to his Maverick the General rode very nicely...
Ok I see, I was talking the new Commander... assuming it's more refined

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, like you said, these are all incredible machines and it comes down to preferences and in many cases brand loyalty. Crazy the refinement and tech this industry has seen in the last 10 years. I'm one of those people are are not stuck on any brand and I've owned at least one from every major brand out there at some point in my life; because that is what suited me at the time. Which is how I shop for vehicles, ATVs, UTVs, guns, (all fun stuff) I buy what I think best suits our needs at the time I'm looking.... and yes, that does change with age, family size, money.... etc.

So nice to have choices and competition among manufacturers for good quality stuff, I remember a time when that didn't exists; at least not like it does now.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts