Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Notice the seating position.
I hate sitting down low especially in the tight & technical.
I was going to test my buddies X3, but after 30 sec in the seat I said forget it, I don't care.....lol.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one thing about the X2 I loved on a test drive. The ease of seeing over the hood and the trail a few ft in front of you.
The RMax not quite as good as the front suspension tapping into that somewhat but not too bad.
All the other machines I've seen it's like sitting near the floor and the doors are over your shoulders.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I haven't tested an RMax yet, but from everything I've seen and read, General is hot, loud, poor power delivery, does ride decent, as reliable as a Polaris.

Panicking has never been a resolute problem solving tactic, but it may be the only option Polaris has right now... Just kidding, but I think it's clear they'll need an emergency refresh or aggressive pricing/marketing tactics to compete for the time being.
That's assuming Yamaha can do a good job marketing the RMax, after all even my dog has heard of the insane RZR's and great Ranger's. Polaris' fame is likely the best/only asset the General has right now when comparing to the RMax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone purchased an rmax that has previously owned a general? I would like to know their impression of the rmax and how the 2 machines compare in terms of ride, handling, comfort, etc.
I recently purchased a lightly used general deluxe as my first sxs. Have owned dirt bikes, 4x4 atvs previously. If I had known the rmax was coming I might have waited to pull the trigger on the general, even though it was a good deal. I dislike the combination of on-demand 4wd and abrupt engine braking on the general. It makes rough, steep descents a pain in the neck, literally, as the rear end bucks and hops from rock to rock.
Other than the aforementioned issue, which is a big one for me, I like the roomy cockpit layout, comfortable seats, and the doors.
However, I know the quality/durability of the Japanese machines is much better and the general already has plenty of noises and squeaks at 1500 miles.
If anyone has seat time in both machines I would like to hear their thoughts.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,403 Posts
Sell it now while the market is good for used machines. Knowledge of Polaris in general is all I need to know that I don't want one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately their (poor) reputation precedes them due to having quality issues and not addressing them. Reading posts about destroyed transmissions and differentials on the Polaris general forums makes me want to ditch mine before it breaks. At the time I bought it, it was the only machine with a usable bed, good power, good suspension, and all day riding comfort on the market.
I have no doubts about the Yamaha reliability and quality as I’ve owned several in the past that were bulletproof.
However, I also hate the thought of putting down another $7k to $8k (general is worth $14k) towards an rmax if it’s less comfortable for me and my wife on an all day rides vs the general.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And here's the General... Sounds like he held back saying the Yamaha was best.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
And here's the General... Sounds like he held back saying the Yamaha was best.
While I was watching that video, this ad played and I thought it was funny

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the look of the thing.. I noticed in the dirtrax vids and a couple others of how flimsy the General's bed is when it's flipped up. While it's in motion and shakes when at the top. Something I can't duplicant with the RMax.

·
Registered
796 Posts
His comparison points in the video above do a nice job of highlighting personal preference. The one simple point he makes with regard to accessories/electronics about the plug-n-play of Polaris accessories and connection to the electrical system - built in choices for keyed power or hot all the time seems legit to me. Having lots of switch slots is a really nice improvement over my Gen 1. Previous models of Yamahas left you to engineer the electrical accessories and connections all to yourself. This is a lot of work for most people. I don't have my Rmax yet but from what I've seen, it does seem like a little more effort and simplification of this could have been easily incorporated from Yamaha which would have cut another leg off for the General. He didn't really touch on cargo management accessories but Polaris has had really nice solutions for a long time with Lock-N-Ride and I thought Yamaha might have a few more ideas to compete on this generation. For me, it's going to be interesting figuring out how to fit the bed full of gear that I hauled in my Rspec in the Rmax 4 without cluttering up the rear passenger area. I'm really excited to get my Rmax but it looks like I'll be waiting at least another month.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Lock-N-Ride is nice for some of the accessories they take advantage of it but I had trouble with when using it to tie down gear. I think Yamaha's tie downs in the bed are way more robust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy all, I currently own a 2020 General Deluxe with 200 miles on it, trying to talk myself into or out of jumping to the RMax. I haven't owned a polaris ATV in over 15 years because I grew tired of working on them. They were a ball, usually had best suspension and power but needed the most maintenance. Been a CanAm guy with all our ATV's, and that's not going to change; but this side x side thing is a little different. I wish the RMax was available early 2020. How has reliability been on the RMax, any major issues.... yet.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Some have issues and some don't. My personal opinion is the RMAX will be more capable in extreme terrain and more reliable. Question to ask yourself is how good is your nearest dealer for any brand.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts