Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

How is your FM radio reception in your rmax LTD?

• My radio gets terrible FM reception, to none

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • My radio picks up some channels

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • My radio picks up all FM channels similar to my automobile

Votes: 1 2.2%
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RMAX LE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My FM radio scrolls endlessly and can't pick up channels. It's at the dealer now and they claim it works fine, and yamaha says they don't know of an issue. I have heard several folks complain here though. I suspect it is a design flaw, who else is having issues? If you have a LE please vote!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,548 Posts
I would put a real antenna on it.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX LE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would put a real antenna on it.
Not looking for suggestions on how to fix it with aftermarket parts, I'm looking for the number of people who are having problems with their FM reception, to determine if there is a design flaw.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,656 Posts
I get 1 country station (I hate country) and occasionally 1 rock station. I've tried another antenna and it's better, but not much.

·
Registered
2021 Wolverine Rmax2
40 Posts
Mine is crappy. The funny thing is the same unit in my Honda Talon worked great!

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
1,148 Posts
I'd say most, especially if in the woods... Don't think it's a design flaw, but more of a part omission flaw.

As jimbo said. It needs an antenna.

Not looking for suggestions on how to fix it with aftermarket parts, I'm looking for the number of people who are having problems with their FM reception, to determine if there is a design flaw.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX LE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say most, especially if in the woods... Don't think it's a design flaw, but more of a part omission flaw.

As jimbo said. It needs an antenna.
While you may spend time playing with with semantics, the point is the same, if it doesn't have a proper part it isnt designed correctly ..ie design flaw. Stinks. I don't understand how something like this doesn't get tested.. I wonder if this is a casualty of the pandemic and remote workforces.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,257 Posts
I don't have an LE but I did put the same stereo in my standard model RMAX4 and mine works just fine. We don't get a lot of stations out here where I live period but I seem to get them. I actually remember Massive posting about this a while ago. I think he said he just had to relocate his antenna routing. I just kinda looped mine around the perimeter under the hood of mine.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX LE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Massive replied above, that his only gets 1 or 2 stations. I live in a city that probably has 20 stations nor more I can pick up in truck.. rmax gets zero

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,257 Posts
Massive replied above, that his only gets 1 or 2 stations. That probably has 20 stations I can pick up or more in truck.. rmax gets zero
Hahaha. Missed that one. Hmmmmmm. Funny thing is that on my last ride my battery went dead on my phone and that meant no more bluetooth. I was bummed for a sec thinking no more tunes and remembered " shit this thing has FM " so I hit it over to FM and was stoked to still have tunes.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX LE
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahaha. Missed that one. Hmmmmmm. Funny thing is that on my last ride my battery went dead on my phone and that meant no more bluetooth. I was bummed for a sec thinking no more tunes and remembered " shit this thing has FM " so I hit it over to FM and was stoked to still have tunes.
For sure! It especially helps if you are listening to sports games that are broadcasted in your city.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Its a lot harder to get FM in a SXS. I'm not a radio frequency expert but my stereo in my X4 was a regular car radio and I had to get creative to get reception. I'm not sure how to fix it because even then there would be odd interference. I'm curious as well as how many have issues and those that don't.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine works fine, not as good as my truck though. But I can listen to sports and what not while working around the farm. Also, I plug my phone in when using the bluetooth.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,194 Posts
Many FM enabled devices are dirt cheap implementations and OEM don't provide spec's to assess. A very good front end sensitivity and selectivity is a prerequisite for acceptable reception. After that is the wire/antenna and more is normally better (longer length ~ 19" multiples). This is not for transmitter so tuning is not going to make any measureable difference. However a lot of implantation maybe a FM chip and nothing else thrown in to case. If you need 10 times the signal strength for detection and process at a good s/n ratio all the antenna you through at it won't do much of anything.

Cheap implementation will corrupt and distort close to a radio station as their front end is overloaded. Its not rocket science to design or make a good receiver anymore with the various all in one silicon chips but a little extra effort is needed to get the sensitivity and channel isolation for FM where it needs to be to really work. After all, these are not used in the city so the oem should not expect intense signal strength will be available.

just saying, a faulty connected antenna or not at all would kill any possible reception of normal levels.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,194 Posts
clearly has to be something defective and needing sorted out. At the price they're demanding for that rig (sound system it should be well above average solutions available). Zero reception would not qualify. Just maybe the antenna is not plugged in assuming its similar to Suv for antenna. Let the dealer wrestle with it as access likely takes some work.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,548 Posts
I have an LE with zero radio reception in a major metropolitan area. 🙄
Yah, that can't be right. A $20.00 radio with NO external antenna can work fine. I would not accept that out of a $700.00 radio.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts