Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tested 91 vs 93, or experienced any engine knock, etc. In my area I can get 91 with no ethanol, or 93 with ethanol. Curious if it will matter much?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ethanol free is your friend..91 should be fine, a lot of western states in the US dont even sell 93. Sadly most of the ethanol free gas I can find here in Florida is 90 octane.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 4 XTR
19 Posts
I run into the same issue with ethanol free in my area (PA), most is 90 octane. That is what I always used in my 2019 X4. Haven't tried it in the RMAX4, not sure if I will or not. I am curious why some stations advertise 90 and others 91 for the octane level on the ethanol free. As an example, some Kwik Fill stations advertise 90 octane and others show 91 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
37 Posts
I run into the same issue with ethanol free in my area (PA), most is 90 octane. That is what I always used in my 2019 X4. Haven't tried it in the RMAX4, not sure if I will or not. I am curious why some stations advertise 90 and others 91 for the octane level on the ethanol free. As an example, some Kwik Fill stations advertise 90 octane and others show 91 🤷‍♀️
Perhaps it depends on their fuel supplier..hard to say. Almost all ethanol free fuel here is 90 as mentioned, but when I drive out to Sebring there is a station there that has 93 octane ethanol free! I sure wish more stations would carry it. I think the reason they keep the octane at 90 is so that folks with higher end cars that require high octane don't simply buy ethanol free all the time, which negates the purpose of ethanol in the first place. If the rmax calls for 91, I would not feel comfortable running 90. Most of the country runs fuel with ethanol so I'm sure yamaha built it to withstand it, but then again I dont see water separating fuel filters either. game at some of these machines sit for extended periods of time where the ethanol could attract water, something like a simple Racor might be good to install.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Curious if there is a knock sensor on the RMAx that would allow you to run lower octane in emergency situations.

·
Administrator
2,794 Posts
Curious if there is a knock sensor on the RMAx that would allow you to run lower octane in emergency situations.
Nope and I get crinkly aluminum sounds from time to time with 91 octane. Weller will have a tune for those who want to use lower octane.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Has anyone had luck with Octane boosters? I know I can get 91 ethanol free but I haven't seen to many places in my area with anything higher.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,842 Posts
When I filled up with gas a few days ago. I looked at the pump grades posted.

89 octane was 19 cents more than 87
91 octane was 27 cents more than 87

We're 4.5L to a gallon you're less. Never the less it adds up. Few need or would really use all those HP in them engines and many would have issues getting fresh 91 in rural areas. I always wonder how long its been in the tanks. Paying over a dollar a gallon more is not desirable. I suspect the engine would endure far better when detuned somewhat as well for 87 octane.

Reactions: Maggot

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes, we ALL use and need the power of these engines. That's why we bought them. Performance costs more, simply put. 💰

·
Registered
810 Posts
I agree and don't want to detune the engine or harm it. In some areas 89 or 90 is the best I can get. That's why I was wondering if octane boosters really work. Say I'm riding for a weekend and don't bring enough gas and have to get 87 or 89, would an octane booster product be safe to use? If so, which one?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,842 Posts
It certainly costs. How much pleasure did you get from your 2017, (similar to my SE) with say 1/3 the HP. It depends however the ride/suspension and gearing of the RMAX would certainly be at such a higher level and unmistakable to a former Wolverine owner.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The premium fuel is my only real gripe with the machine. Gas around here has mid 5-6 cents over reg and premium is 3-4 over mid. So not too bad.

I did some math a couple months back when this was first introduced. I think is was a couple hundred bucks over a 10k life.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,842 Posts
Oh wow, where you located. I am in Southern Ont. as per my sig this board doesn't show locations anymore!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Oh wow, where you located. I am in Southern Ont. as per my sig this board doesn't show locations anymore!!!
Sure it does, as has been mentioned many times before, simply hover over the user name, and it shows unless the person does not enter the info in their profile. You are in Prince Edward County, ON, Canada. Why do you keep saying that you can't see locations?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,842 Posts
I am used to the old board. It was out front seeing the location without a fuss!! Begs the question why the software developer chose to hide it.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,842 Posts
You are so lucky there. I know in the US the prices are small variation going to higher octane. Here we're really gouged!

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are so lucky there. I know in the US the prices are small variation going to higher octane. Here we're really gouged!
i always get a kick out of seeing fuel prices. I drive 30-40 miles one way every day to work. I commute from a small farming community to a large-ish city. And in my little farm town diesel can be almost .20/g less than it is near my work, and sometimes more. Regular fuel/gas only moves maybe $.05/g more where i work. But driving a 3/4 ton diesel everyday, i'll stick to getting my farming community diesel :)

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,842 Posts
Lucky their!!!

Few of us need or can get a Diesel SUV or Truck unless its a HD build at least. Few are approved in NA for emissions. Look what happened to VW trying to work the system. BackFired on them billion times!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
yeah it isn't cheap to drive this thing every day (the 35" off-road tires dont' help either lol), but when i hook up to a trailer, i have ZERO issue pulling it like i did with my old (2013) F150. However i am missing the heated leather seats and i do miss the back up camera when i am trying to hook up a trailer by myself lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts