Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

RMAX fuel economy?

37K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  Loudelectronics 
#1 ·
I’m curious, has anyone compared the fuel economy between the X2 or X4 to the new RMAX 1000?

#2 ·
Working on it. My RMAX4 came with a full tank from the dealer yesterday. So well see how many miles she goes before I have to fill her up.

#3 ·
A key point for sure. Establishing your range for outings. I set my trip on every fill up to the brim!! When filling I consider how much is left in the tank as well (difference) and can easily calculate how much further I could have went. I still carry spare on ride that use more than half a tank for sure where there a no stations. Always using Tier One fuel as well. The gauge is relative to capacity but range is more accurate if similar terrain and in High gear. Winter its much less MPG as I find out. Trip A is my default setting for this purpose.

Its all a matter of knowing and not assuming, if you know what I mean. Those who run out assumed..LOL

#4 ·
I always fill mine at the start of any outing. I also carry extra fuel. I carry a two gallon can. I’ve only had to use it once in the last couple of years. It just provides me peace of mind knowing it’s there.
I’m curious if the range is similar.

#6 ·
Both above are working a sound method. I carry either a 10L or 20L generic red container. Both fit well in my layout. I am comfortable with the 10L knowing the range spec's I get and its a buffer. Worst come to worst. I give it to someone who's run out of gas in the bush somewhere.

It will take a number of cycles to figure it all out but its worth knowing.
With a bigger motor and more weight I'd expect it to be less MPG. You'll see but you still need to know the range.

#7 ·
Anyone see an improvement in mpg after their motor is well broke in? Or does it go down because now your foot is going to the floor all the time?

#8 ·
I don't know if anyone has a motor broken in yet. I only have 18-20 miles on mine so far.

#9 ·
You need to get out and ride that RMAX Jimbo. :)

#12 · (Edited)
You want to do a first oil/filter change after only 20-30 minutes of run time.

Yamaha floods these things with assembly lube. So much it will fill the pleats of the filter up flush. Last things you want is for a filter to bypass as it doesn't just bypass unfiltered oil but rather opens up the outside of the cartridge and flushes everything the filter caught back into the engine.

Not sure on the filter bypass specs on the Yamaha filter but usually only 10-12 psi, What that means is if the oil leaving the filter has 10-12 psi less pressure than the filter canister it is bypassing oil from outside the filter media into the engine.

#16 ·
Oh you know it. After 24 years of retail I've had my share. You should see how far out in the north 40 I park my car normally. And still take 2 spots. lol😎

Reactions: Wolverinegramps
#15 ·
'Having to wait for an LE', I put that in quotes because I'm the luckiest bastard to be able to get an LE first, but had I chosen an XTR, I'd probably have at least 300 miles on her by now. I may no longer be the mileage king when it comes to the RMAX, but that's good. This model is going to really raise the bar for Yamaha.

#19 ·
Based on my calculations you are getting a little lower than my X2. Approximately 10% more fuel consumption. Of course this is very dependent on driving style and terrain. It should improve as you put on some more miles.

#18 ·
1st post on this I've seen. How big is your tank as its US gallons. Multiply by your 14.5 for range which seem quite low.

#21 ·
I agree. I think it will be close enough to make me happy. I'm more concerned about range than cost to operate. It should have decent range.

Reactions: kukini
#28 ·
I think my average is around 15.5 on my X2.

Reactions: kukini
#29 ·
I just put 200 miles on mine and I am getting a little over 13mpg. It depends a lot how you drive it. There is plenty of power to take it easier on it LOL. A little bit more fuel used than my Rspec... but not bad or enough to worry about.

#32 ·
The manual calls for premium fuel because of the high compression of the motor. It wouldn’t be wise to run regular.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill
#31 ·
I am-averaging 14.5mpg and that is all I am running is 91 octane, ethanol-free. I don't know exactly how important the 91 octane is, if it's like the recommended sythetic oil, but I have been following both recommendations.

#36 ·
Its a real pain when I cannot see poster locations anymore. As the continent is so big situations vary radically.

Can you not fit the 10L generic red contains in there somehow. I carry that or a 20L depending what and where I think I might go. They are cheap solutions to carrying gas. 1 Gallon containers are useless. Not enough to get me to a station by a long shot.

#37 ·
I don't want to use up the little bit of tilt bed room I have left by strapping in generic gas cans that are going to slide around. I have two 7.5L Rotopax gas cans(around 50 miles worth) with the proper mounts for the rear cross bars behind the cab that mount right up and don't move at all. I have the cargo box from Yamaha mounted in the further back position of the tilt box so I want to keep the spot in front of that open for a cooler if the wife decides to go on one of her style rides-lol. I'm in Northern Wisconsin.

Attachments

Reactions: Maggot and BubbaJo
#38 ·
Those are bigger than others I'd heard of. Yeah that is a neat setup with what you already have.

cheers, onward!!

Then you can ride with confidence.

#41 ·
Yeah, Inside less likely to acculate mud/dirt etc which is no good for the tank.

#42 ·
Yeah, Inside less likely to collect mud/dirt etc which is no good for the tank.

FYI The is what I bought to fit the standard 10L jug into. I made my own bracket for two Kingquads and only have one now. I am going to buy another one when on sale. The make a bracket for the Wolverine now that I see whats done here.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps
#43 ·
I got my rear soft window back-they cut a square out of the back window, fabbed in the two 2" holes and the 4" velcro slot openings so I could get my mounts through the holes. After they did that, they sewed the squares back into the window. I used a piece of a 2x4 to hold the passenger side seat forward so I could tighten the allen screws for my mounts. It was very nice having the driver's seat able to be slid forward, that made mounting a piece of cake on the driver's side. I'm very happy that a $125 fabrication job made my ride Roto-Pax compatible!! :)
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Vehicle door
Auto part Vehicle door Vehicle
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tire Car
Red Leather Jacket Musical instrument accessory Gig bag
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Machine Wheel

#48 ·
I am going to make bracket and mount the baskets for the generic 10L gas cans I have. Its the cheapest solution and gets it out of the box. Even though I am never full it won't move. I am not one who forks out $$$ for custom solutions for several reasons. PrincessAuto here sells the baskets and I am wait for a sale on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.