Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious, has anyone compared the fuel economy between the X2 or X4 to the new RMAX 1000?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,604 Posts
A key point for sure. Establishing your range for outings. I set my trip on every fill up to the brim!! When filling I consider how much is left in the tank as well (difference) and can easily calculate how much further I could have went. I still carry spare on ride that use more than half a tank for sure where there a no stations. Always using Tier One fuel as well. The gauge is relative to capacity but range is more accurate if similar terrain and in High gear. Winter its much less MPG as I find out. Trip A is my default setting for this purpose.

Its all a matter of knowing and not assuming, if you know what I mean. Those who run out assumed..LOL

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always fill mine at the start of any outing. I also carry extra fuel. I carry a two gallon can. I’ve only had to use it once in the last couple of years. It just provides me peace of mind knowing it’s there.
I’m curious if the range is similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always fill mine at the start of any outing. I also carry extra fuel. I carry a two gallon can. I’ve only had to use it once in the last couple of years. It just provides me peace of mind knowing it’s there.
I’m curious if the range is similar.
Same here with jerrycan.I also never pass a gas station. I’ve squeezed in $3 bucks just because:)

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,604 Posts
Both above are working a sound method. I carry either a 10L or 20L generic red container. Both fit well in my layout. I am comfortable with the 10L knowing the range spec's I get and its a buffer. Worst come to worst. I give it to someone who's run out of gas in the bush somewhere.

It will take a number of cycles to figure it all out but its worth knowing.
With a bigger motor and more weight I'd expect it to be less MPG. You'll see but you still need to know the range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone see an improvement in mpg after their motor is well broke in? Or does it go down because now your foot is going to the floor all the time?

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't know if anyone has a motor broken in yet. I only have 18-20 miles on mine so far.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if anyone has a motor broken in yet. I only have 18-20 miles on mine so far.
You need to get out and ride that RMAX Jimbo. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
You want to do a first oil/filter change after only 20-30 minutes of run time.

Yamaha floods these things with assembly lube. So much it will fill the pleats of the filter up flush. Last things you want is for a filter to bypass as it doesn't just bypass unfiltered oil but rather opens up the outside of the cartridge and flushes everything the filter caught back into the engine.

Not sure on the filter bypass specs on the Yamaha filter but usually only 10-12 psi, What that means is if the oil leaving the filter has 10-12 psi less pressure than the filter canister it is bypassing oil from outside the filter media into the engine.

·
Administrator
2,686 Posts
'Having to wait for an LE', I put that in quotes because I'm the luckiest bastard to be able to get an LE first, but had I chosen an XTR, I'd probably have at least 300 miles on her by now. I may no longer be the mileage king when it comes to the RMAX, but that's good. This model is going to really raise the bar for Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You park it on the lines like you don't want door dings!! ;p
Oh you know it. After 24 years of retail I've had my share. You should see how far out in the north 40 I park my car normally. And still take 2 spots. lol😎

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,604 Posts
1st post on this I've seen. How big is your tank as its US gallons. Multiply by your 14.5 for range which seem quite low.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 170 miles on my RMAX XTR now, my last tank of fuel came out at 14.5 MPG.
Is that what everyone else is getting?

kenner
Based on my calculations you are getting a little lower than my X2. Approximately 10% more fuel consumption. Of course this is very dependent on driving style and terrain. It should improve as you put on some more miles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would think the new RMax owners are also "stomping" on it at various rpms and speeds as it's fun to do. Can make this thing spin and drift on command.
For an average trail ride it wouldn't be working hard at all, and I think it'll be similar if not better than an X2.

Based on my calculations you are getting a little lower than my X2. Approximately 10% more fuel consumption. Of course this is very dependent on driving style and terrain. It should improve as you put on some more miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts