Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ok, since both are around now I figured I'd get this started. It is just our opinions of both machines using them in the same ways. A two seat Rmax may have been a closer comparison, but if 2 seats were an option there would 2 KRX's here. Besides that the wheelbase is closer on the 4 and reportedly it rides better. So far there is only 60 miles of snow riding on the Rmax and I will try to keep this updated as time goes on. I'll just list the differences as noticed and which is better so far, may be some points on stuff that really stands out. If there's something you want to hear more about something just ask.

Rmax- 33's on 15" beadlocks, Bandit tender springs, Milwaukee pack out mount, trail armor A arm guards, fender block offs, half windshield and 2 way radio.

KRX- winch, full skids, metal roof, hitch, tree kickers, tube tailgate,click 6 harnesses, half windshield, mirrors, cameras, 2 way radio, primary spring delete, 33's and VFJ tune. It should be the heavier of the 2 at this point.

Ok, here we go.

Fit and finish. Rmax

Switches. Rmax. Twist style are just easier to use by feel when moving.

Cab noise. KRX, not much but noticeable

Cab heat. Really too cold to tell, but the Rmax melted snow on the floors and the KRX did not.

Turning radius. It's close. I don't think you ever notice a difference in real riding.

Ride. KRX. At trail speeds it seems to be a draw with the Rmax on Bandit tenders.

Stability. KRX. My nephew don't think the Rmax is as stable as his gen 1 was. The Rmax lifts tires alot.

Ease of entrance. KRX

Comfort. Draw. You do feel more secure in the KRX.

Headlights. KRX

Reverse lights. Rmax. No oem reverse light on the KRX.

Steering feel. KRX. The Rmax could be a little stronger with aftermarket tires.

Storage. KRX

Wet clutch. KRX. It's much easier to get small, predictable movements out of the KRX.

Water fording depth. KRX. Both go deep enough but you'll get nervous in the Rmax sooner.

Gearing. Rmax. Both are good but the RMax has a more usable Low range. The KRX tops out about 30 mph and is revving pretty high at around 18 mph.

Warm up. Rmax is ready go sooner.

Brakes. Maybe Rmax. They both suck with big tires.

Power. This was a big surprise to me. Rmax in sport mode. KRX on 87 octane tune, 33's and and primary removed. Two people in each. KRX. I really don't see how that video we've all seen from Big Pine has the Rmax pulling on a KRX, mine should be slower than stock.

Ease of service. KRX. A Yamaha engineer needs smacked. I could change the oil in the KRX faster than it can be checked in the Rmax 4.
I agree with virtually everything you mentioned.

I own a 2021 RMAX2 XTR.....AND I'm picking up a new 2021 Kawasaki KRX Special Edition next week that finally came in....ordered in June. The special edition comes with the winch and the 5 speaker stereo (including a huge subwoofer).

I was originally going to sell the RMAX but we've decided to keep it as our secondary ride. After all, the RMAX is the best crossover period.

I've been riding increasingly challenging trails and the KRX will be more stable on the off camber and extreme vertical stuff. It's just a tank. Did I mention that it is VERY stable? It probably won't be as fast as my RMAX but I'm not really looking for that.

I think Kawasaki and Yamaha really put a dent in Polaris/Can Am.

On one hand, Yamaha with the RMAX created a better machine than the General and the Commander. It's not even debatable.

On the other hand Kawasaki hit Polaris RZR and Can Am X3 between the eyes with the KRX that may not be as fast but is tough as nails and more reliable.

It's almost like Kawi and Yamaha tag teamed this.
View attachment 99716

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
419 Posts
The KRX with ecu flash, and ST upgrade on 35's can't keep up in drag race in his farm field. My RMAX2 on 30's in sport mode. Granted were not running a quarter, just a few hundred feet on his farm. And we're just screwing around. The stock KRX on 35'S really is slow on the take off . But I'm not that into speed and dragging. I am however overly impressed at how this little RMAX2 crawls and climbs.
Rode today in windrock in a minor snow. We had my RMAX2, KRX on 35's and Wildcat XX. the RMAX2 was again very impressive. But KRX had 0 winches and I had 1 and XX had 2.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The KRX with ecu flash, and ST upgrade on 35's can't keep up in drag race in his farm field. My RMAX2 on 30's in sport mode. Granted were not running a quarter, just a few hundred feet on his farm. And we're just screwing around. The stock KRX on 35'S really is slow on the take off . But I'm not that into speed and dragging. I am however overly impressed at how this little RMAX2 crawls and climbs.
Rode today in windrock in a minor snow. We had my RMAX2, KRX on 35's and Wildcat XX. the RMAX2 was again very impressive. But KRX had 0 winches and I had 1 and XX had 2.
I think it's a mistake to put 35's on the KRX. Turns it into a dog as you say. I think 32's or 33's are perfect for krx. I have 32's on my RMAX and that is the perfect size for it in my estimation. Thank you for the trail report. I haven't driven the wildcat but would love to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I think it's a mistake to put 35's on the KRX. Turns it into a dog as you say. I think 32's or 33's are perfect for krx. I have 32's on my RMAX and that is the perfect size for it in my estimation. Thank you for the trail report. I haven't driven the wildcat but would love to.

Depends on if your a trail rider or a rock crawler.
No comparison in 32 and 35 on a KRX for what it can accomplish in that world.
Not that it would compare in stock fashion drag race but my brothers KRX on 35s with different weights and a tune gets it just fine. I don’t find it to be doggy at all!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not that it would compare in stock fashion drag race but my brothers KRX on 35s with different weights and a tune gets it just fine. I don’t find it to be doggy at all!
Are you gonna buy a KRX? Are you tempted or are you sticking with the RMAX? Or you could go my route and have 1 of each! 1st world problems....which sxs?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Are you gonna buy a KRX? Are you tempted or are you sticking with the RMAX? Or you could go my route and have 1 of each! 1st world problems....which sxs?

One of each could come into play at some point.
The Rmax is amazing for what it is, sport utility, out rock crawling. It continues to surprise and baffle people.
Still, I simply can not do some obstacles the KRX can, and certainly not the more extreme vertical stuff the KRX can. The Rmax is very handy but limited mostly by its short wheel base. There are the times that it shines where anything longer doesn’t but the KRX is pretty close to the optimum balance between the 4 seat RZR and the short stuff like Rmax. Even my brother would like another 4” in wheel base for the KRX when doing most extreme obstacles.
The Rmax as a 1/2 utility makes a CanAm Sport XRC look like it’s struggling when crawling and it’s longer and full sport and a dedicated rock crawler edition. Pretty impressive I say!

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
419 Posts
Agree 100% the camo green KRX I ride with with all the mods is way more sporty feeling than the blue one with only the ST upgrade and the 35's.
And the XX is still a total bad ass. One of my favorites but it has had a significant number of repairs on major components.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
The 35's have there place on a KRX. If your strictly rocks, mud or don't push the machine at higher speeds I could see it, but it's to much for all around riding. I bunch of people will say it's fine and the big thing many are missing is depending on tire a 33 and 35 may be the same size. I've heard plenty of people say it don't make a noticeable difference and all I can figure is they mostly putt around. I can feel the difference between a 31 and 35 on a 9k lb, 400 hp diesel truck so if you can't feel the difference on a 2k lb, 110 horse machine I really don't know how.

Budro, isn't the extra wheelbase of a 4 seater just in the rear a arms? That could gain you 3.5 inches. If SATV gets off there ass maybe 6 or 7 soon. I can tell you from the Zuk that stretching it from 80 to 93 made a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The 35's have there place on a KRX. If your strictly rocks, mud or don't push the machine at higher speeds I could see it, but it's to much for all around riding. I bunch of people will say it's fine and the big thing many are missing is depending on tire a 33 and 35 may be the same size. I've heard plenty of people say it don't make a noticeable difference and all I can figure is they mostly putt around. I can feel the difference between a 31 and 35 on a 9k lb, 400 hp diesel truck so if you can't feel the difference on a 2k lb, 110 horse machine I really don't know how.

Budro, isn't the extra wheelbase of a 4 seater just in the rear a arms? That could gain you 3.5 inches. If SATV gets off there ass maybe 6 or 7 soon. I can tell you from the Zuk that stretching it from 80 to 93 made a huge difference.
I can believe that! That’s why I wish the 2seat Rmax was on the same wheel base as the 4 seater. 4” is a game changer. 12-13 is a complete game changer.
Im not personally sure if the 4 seat is just in the rear but I think your right. We personally think that extending the rear is where it’s at for climbing capabilities and balance. In other words a machine with forward 2” A arms and rearward 2” A arms for an additional 4” wheel base wouldn’t do as well as one with all of the additional 4” being extended rearward.
We would like to see portals that don’t just go down and out but go down out and back 4” rearward at the same time.
My brother is strongly looking at the SATV long travel kit for his KRX however. He’s finding that the only riding he really does is Sand Hollow and Moab so width isnt a problem. Ultimately the added length would have more benefit than the width though. The KRX already has very adequate travel.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Somebody needs to get off their ass and make rear offset a arms. Hope it is SATV along with high clerance and UHMW skids for them since they frequent this forum. I'm OK rolling backwards but I'd rather not! I don't think many others on here feel the same way I do except they'd rather not roll over backwards (it is OK solo but I don't want to do it with the kids).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Related... I love my X2 and still use it regularly. For cruising to the neighbors through the trees it's my first choice because it fits everywhere. My wife recently asked if I had to choose between the X2 and the KRX which would I choose, I choose the X2. It's paid for and highly customized to my liking.

When I was ready to buy a second machine (no downtime if you have two!) I looked seriously hard at the RMAX and at all four wheelers (ATV). I figured the X2 is a four wheeler, time for a big tire machine. I just couldn't duplicate the X2 with the RMAX, another recreation vehicle with a dump bed.

The KRX is wider and its longer. It took me about two weeks to get used to it. All your turns change because of the lenght, not just the width. I remember jraoffroad explaining this after he got his. Its exactly what he said.

Since the KRX is a big tire machine I put 35" XTR 370's on at the 120 mile break in service. The tires weigh 59 pounds by themselves, 80-plus mounted on OEM wheels. I loved it. I'm an old guy with an egg under my foot that loves to creepy crawl on tight technical terrain. Yes, in West Virginia I get left behind by the other sport machines but I can hold my own with the rest of the crowd. Never bothered me to lose all that power. Which to be honest, the KRX on 35's will get down a trail. It just won't accelerate. But those 35's roll over pretty much everything without a hiccup.

As for what size tire you should put on your machine it completely depends on how you drive. It's such an individual decision. But don't be afraid of bigger heavier tires if you ride like an old man with an egg under your foot.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Somebody needs to get off their ass and make rear offset a arms. Hope it is SATV along with high clerance and UHMW skids for them since they frequent this forum. I'm OK rolling backwards but I'd rather not! I don't think many others on here feel the same way I do except they'd rather not roll over backwards (it is OK solo but I don't want to do it with the kids).
Of all the ways to roll, backwards is my least favorite. Followed closely by forward. Forward does seem the hardest on cages. Sideways isn't bad. I prefer the passenger side in the woods, but drivers side in the open areas. I'd rather fall from the harness then get poked by something coming in the door. Slower is better and making all the way back onto wheel is convenient. All directions suck if it goes over more then once. Bonus points if you dont stop after the roll.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 LE
85 Posts
Stock vsd stock the Rmax will wIt is true I was getting a little bored with KRX. Constantly looking for more extreme terrain to get some fun. I realized there is a point where fun factor changes. I need a challenge and too much UTV takes that away. Weird I know but this is a true thing and people dont talk bout it. A less capable utv is funner to challenge rough stuff. I think this is why we all loved the Teryx4 so much. Rmax decision was for these reasons. I wanted the baddest T4 type utv I could have. 2 kids with us and we have so much more fun in Rmax. KRX was 2 seat and easily waited on others to fight through stuff behind us. Didnt work for us. Rmax needs some design updates, like the inner fender well and mud protection! Sound is little loud inside. Rear a arms need moved back an inch for larger tire. Rear door is CRAP! But we love this machine. It is a good one and we ride with rzr and T4's. We are a dominant force in this group. Oh, a RZR 4 seat on 32" with tunes/exhaust mods to 130hp doesnt win drag race until 55mph. So Rmax IS pretty quick imop.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
^^^^^^^^ well put!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Stock vsd stock the Rmax will wIt is true I was getting a little bored with KRX. Constantly looking for more extreme terrain to get some fun. I realized there is a point where fun factor changes. I need a challenge and too much UTV takes that away. Weird I know but this is a true thing and people dont talk bout it.
I understand completely but some don't want the challenge. However, I do. I makes it more fun for me personally but there are not too many out there that think the same.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Last time we were at Sand Hollow my nephew made the statement that we should all get an Rmax and it would be funner. I was doing some stuff that was a pretty good challenge that I normally wouldn’t even be able to get done, but on that day I had filled my front tires half full of water to keep the front end down. The nephews didn’t even know at this point and were just repeatedly amazed at what I was climbing up over.
Point is that it takes a pretty good [email protected]#t yer pants obstacle for them to get a thrill in there long travel 4 seat RZRs because of there stability. Then I’m doing stuff that’s real fun in between that the school bus wheel base struggles with and sometimes they just have to bypass.
There is the factor of, not even being able to try obstacles they do because of the fear of death itself or just totaling your 20000 dollar machine because of pride. So it does go both ways for sure.
Any one not having fun in a KRX just needs to move to Hurricane or St. George Ut. You’ll find plenty of stuff to scare you in a KRX.

·
Registered
2021 X4 -2021 Kodiak 700- and 2 2021 PW50's
390 Posts
Wider with longer wheel base has been a lot more fun for me, if they came out with a turbo 4 seat KRX I'd take a hard look at it, I like my Polaris because it has the stability and performance to point it at any hill you want, where the wolverines will roll over backwards. It's also fun knowing that there aren't many machines than can hang if you lean on the throttle a little bit.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts