Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

Registered
Ya but finding those limitations is the fun part...... ain't it? 馃ぃ馃槤
This is true.
We run tight, rutted, rocky, unmaintained trails. Dragging body work and flopping are part of the game for our riding. It's has been for years in/on all sorts of vehicles. People that are worried about body work dont ride with us twice. The Rmax just don't take it well.

[

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
It would be my dream to drive someone else's rig that doesn't care about body panels, or axles, etc. I will surely help find the limitations. Just not on mine. :)
I envy the folks that can drive em with no care for damage. I expect scratches and mud but, other than that...
Heck ya..... you ever find that option, I'm all in!...... I'm a little OCD on mechanical maintenance..... but I'm not planning on keeping a "parade ready" machine forever. The old 08 Rhino was a well maintained rat rod. Every scar had a story.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

Registered
One of my concerns when trail armor offered to make me fender flares was that I would end up breaking the fender due to those fenders being more rigid. I'm glad I didn't but I don't think it would have made a difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
It would be my dream to drive someone else's rig that doesn't care about body panels, or axles, etc. I will surely help find the limitations. Just not on mine. :)
I envy the folks that can drive em with no care for damage. I expect scratches and mud but, other than that...
It's not that our group don't care about damage, we avoid it if possible. I've rode with people that really don't care. It's not much fun. If you don't care at all about damage almost everything becomes pretty easy. Than you end up in some impossible place and it breaks making it a bear to get out.

Look at it this way. We spend $300-$1000 to go on a riding trip. Why would I let $200 fender stop me from going somewhere I want to go. Besides that you very seldom tear stuff up when you think your going to. It's always some stupid thing you though wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Paul65 and atkbike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
One of my concerns when trail armor offered to make me fender flares was that I would end up breaking the fender due to those fenders being more rigid. I'm glad I didn't but I don't think it would have made a difference.
I think it was that point on the bottom rear. If your on the slider and have to back up that snags.

Registered
I think there other machines out there that would be better for what you guys do. The pictures are awesome and it does look fun for sure, only if I wasn't so dam critical about my machine..

Registered
LOL, I have to admit my old Rhino rolled a few ies and never broke anything. Yes, it was loud, slow, and bumpy but it was a tank. I get nostalgic sometimes but a cruise down the trail in the RMAX cures me. I wouldn't mind getting the kids a Rhino in the near future when they get a little bigger so I wouldn't have to deal with their RZR 170 anymore. I'd feel pretty safe letting them follow me down some trails in the Rhino. For now they are limited to pasture duty in the RZR.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I think there other machines out there that would be better for what you guys do. The pictures are awesome and it does look fun for sure, only if I wasn't so dam critical about my machine..
For two seat machines sure. For 4 seats not so much. IMHO there two reasons to buy an Rmax right now. One you need a dump bed but still want a sporty machine, Get an Rmax2. Reason 2 you need a sporty machine that can haul four people and has a reasonable wheelbase get an Rmax4. There is a little competition in the 2 seat category with the General. The only SWB four seaters are the Rmax4, Teryx4, X4 and the Honda Pioneer 700-4/1000-5. The Rmax4 is the only machine on that list with decent travel.

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
For two seat machines sure. For 4 seats not so much. IMHO there two reasons to buy an Rmax right now. One you need a dump bed but still want a sporty machine, Get an Rmax2. Reason 2 you need a sporty machine that can haul four people and has a reasonable wheelbase get an Rmax4. There is a little competition in the 2 seat category with the General. The only SWB four seaters are the Rmax4, Teryx4, X4 and the Honda Pioneer 700-4/1000-5. The Rmax4 is the only machine on that list with decent travel.
I agree..... no other 4 seater like it. Teryx is probably the closest but Yami is the sportiest, most nimble 4 seater available right now. It will be copied soon. (No limo license required) 馃ぃ

Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE

Registered
2021 Rmax4 LE
At some point soon Kawa will respond to Rmax. Owned many Teryxs and friends still do. Amazing utv. Tough as they come, solid and capable. Slower, hot, loud. I ran bandit shocks so much better. Rmax n teryx are almost equal on trails. Balance, size, capability. Rmax sweeter, smoother, stronger, comfort and power. I havent yet found spot I can go n their Teryx cant. T4 with mods A arms 30" tire n skids. Rmax is just better but T4 will hang.

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
Now having owned KRX1000 as well I will say Rmax can hang but KRX is dominant on most rough stuff. It had some issues but was pretty dang sweet too. I liked it. imop.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

This is my regular riding crew.....2 KRX's on 35's with ST upgrades and one with a ecu flash. The RZR is a rock and trail with 32's.... otherwise stock. My RMAX is still almost stock with the original 30" carnivores (I did put bandit tenders on it) We rode about 35 miles of really rough black trails most of the day. The only problem I had was a high center trench that I had been up the week before in dryer conditions with no problems. I had to be winched approx. 15 yards. The rest of the trip, the RMAX was extremely competitive. The RZR had to be winched in the same area. The KRX in my opinion is a more purpose built trail machine with trailing rear suspension and enormous travel. The Rmax is not even in the same class with it as a sport-UTILITY. However, the RMAX continues to impress when we ride. The guys truly find it incredible at the terrain the little RMAX tackles with relative ease. I've been driving 4wd vehicles in these mountains for over 35 years, so maybe experience and picking lines has a little too do with it and the old Rhino was a great training machine for choosing lines and appropriate power application. Still.... seeing the KRX beside the RMAX in a dealers showroom floor is very intimidating for the guy trying to decide on a machine. Understandably there is a crap load of bias toward the Rmax on this forum..... probably some with full-on Yamaha blinders on. I'll tell ya..... riding both machines and being in the KRX all summer (while waiting on an axle for the RMAX) I ENJOYED THE HECK OUT OF IT. It's an awesome machine. BUT.....i am still amazed, as are my friends, at how well the RMAX takes the rough stuff. For what I need out of a machine..... there is not a better machine currently made by any other manufacturer. I only wish the Yamaha company would step up to the plate and knock customer service and "new machine" issues out of the park. If they could do that...... NOTHING would compete.

Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
There is only 1 solution, one of each!

Registered
KRX needs a 4 seat version.

The problem I would have then is I like to root for the underdog and I believe the RMAX is the underdog compared to the KRX on some trails.

That leads me to the fun factor. I'm one of those guys that finds it more fun to drive a slow car fast vs a fast car fast. I like the challenge of the possibility of not making it up the trail and have to work at it. If its to easy, then I'll get bored. I think the KRX may make things too easy. However, if there was a 4 seater and I felt safer with the kids than I do on some trails in the RMAX4, then that would add another factor to consider. Luckily the choice was easy since the KRX only has 2 seats.

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
KRX needs a 4 seat version.

The problem I would have then is I like to root for the underdog and I believe the RMAX is the underdog compared to the KRX on some trails.

That leads me to the fun factor. I'm one of those guys that finds it more fun to drive a slow car fast vs a fast car fast. I like the challenge of the possibility of not making it up the trail and have to work at it. If its to easy, then I'll get bored. I think the KRX may make things too easy. However, if there was a 4 seater and I felt safer with the kids than I do on some trails in the RMAX4, then that would add another factor to consider. Luckily the choice was easy since the KRX only has 2 seats.
That's really funny you say that...... my buddy with the 35's on the KRX hates when I tell him....."heck, anybody could have done that on 35's" at the same time it kills him if he struggles on something I just came over with no problems. All in good fun but I do razz him alot

Registered
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I read that this morning and agree with most of it until they get to suspension. After that they make a few statements for both machines that are wrong or speculation.

Madcat. I'd like to see the result of a drag race with the KRX and Rmax, but I'm not sure how much 35's would throw the results. Our experience has been opposite of what most the articles and video's show. Even with 33's on the KRX and stock Rmax 4 29's the KRX pulled hard on the Rmax. Now with them both on 33's its not even close.

I like the challenge of the possibility of not making it up the trail and have to work at it. If its to easy, then I'll get bored. I think the KRX may make things too easy.
This is true. You just need to hit harder trails and go faster on the easy stuff.

With my Zuk it was probably the most fun with 29's, two lockers long travel and 6.5:1 Tcase. It was pretty much indestructible, went almost ever where it will now with 35's and could be fun easy trails. Now it takes obstacles that are probably going to break something, almost always cause body damage and have a good chance of rolling you to be interesting.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts