Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I probably won't go with bead locks based upon my style of riding (lack of cojones) but wouldn't 4+4's give you a wider stance over 5+2's? "5" is towards to machine "2" is away from the machine. I think...
4+4's
That’s correct. A 5+2 is basically stock width. A 4+3 is 1” wider per side with a 7” wide wheel so 2” wider overall stance. 4+4 is a zero offset 8” wide wheel so you’d get 1/2 of that extra inch to the outside over the 4+3 wheel making you roughly 2.5- 3” wider than stock over all, depending on if you measure outside of tire or the edges of contact patch. You can figure it pretty exact using a wheel offset calculator online.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
That’s correct. A 5+2 is basically stock width. A 4+3 is 1” wider per side with a 7” wide wheel so 2” wider overall stance. 4+4 is a zero offset 8” wide wheel so you’d get 1/2 of that extra inch to the outside over the 4+3 wheel making you roughly 2.5- 3” wider than stock over all, depending on if you measure outside of tire or the edges of contact patch. You can figure it pretty exact using a wheel offset calculator online.
Cool. I thought the Rmax2 came with 4+3 wheels. Read it somewhere here in the forums...But you have the evidence in your garage after going to with bead locks.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Cool. I thought the Rmax2 came with 4+3 wheels. Read it somewhere here in the forums...But you have the evidence in your garage after going to with bead locks.
IIRC they are listed stock as 34mm offset. My 5-2 wheels are 30mm offset so very close but stock wheels are 6.5 wide, not 7” so a bit of difference there as well.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Do you guys think the RMax has a more "nimble" driving experience than the KRX? The KRX is longer and a bit wider than the RMax4, but similar, and their turning radius' seem to be a wash so I thought overall they'd have a pretty similar "nimbleness" rating?
I think Budro got this pretty good. They Rmax4 and KRX have nearly the same turning radius but the long wheelbase of KRX means it has a much sharper wheel cut to achieve it. This means timing of the turn is more critical and you need to go full lock much more often. The Rmax gets it's turning radius from being a short wheel base and is much more forgiving to a bad setup coming into a corner in the woods. In very tight areas (think toy hauler or enclosed trailer) it is much easier to get the KRX were you want it. It's sharper cut and better throttle/clutch engagement really show here, but how much riding are you doing that is this tight?

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
399 Posts
...but how much riding are you doing that is this tight?
Less and less now.. That was actually one of the main things that made me start contemplating the 1000cc machines. After spending another few hours cleaning up a really tight, branch-whipping section, I realized majority of my main trails are either cleared, or well on their way to be cleared for comfortable sxs riding...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm not even talking tight trails really. There is a difference there but it's small. Where you notice it is on very technical rock trails, putting it on/in a trailer or maneuvering in a shop.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
IIRC they are listed stock as 34mm offset. My 5-2 wheels are 30mm offset so very close but stock wheels are 6.5 wide, not 7” so a bit of difference there as well.
Found that Wheel Offset Calculator. Here's what the 4+4 looks like.

Is that to much?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I ride very tight trails with lots of twist and turns in rocky Ozark terrain. I haven't seen either machine have trouble like the 4 seat RZR and can ams when it comes to not being able to make the turn and hitting a tree.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts