Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's probably just the crossovers, but it's worth checking the top shock bolt's. I've seen a few posted that have came loose and wore through the mount.

There is definitely more room on the two seat for tires.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Here ya go, JRA. Watch that suspension flex as he leaves!

As good as the Rmax is for a crossover machine it can’t do stuff like that with its short wheel base. I may have actually ended up on my lid but even if I didn’t my front wheels would be light and hopping. He barely was able to reach up over the top and get a hold. This was his 4th attempt and finally got lined up perfect.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Glad you guys are posting the pros and cons of both. I think they are the only 2 seaters on the market worth considering unless you wanted a full out sports machine. Even then I think both would do pretty good. We need a 4 seater KRX.
That’s my exact thoughts. Yamaha is kind of the king of compact 4 seaters right now, so I’m hoping they surprise us with a 4 seat YXZ on the 2 seat footprint, that also has the latest geometry to compete with the KRX(I know it’s a dream).

I’m even starting to wonder about a KRX with a car seat mounted in behind, I think we’d get years out of that setup before it’s too small and by then maybe there’d be better options.

The X4 takes us everywhere we need and is a blast, but there’s been a few times where having a machine like the KRX would make the knarly terrain even more enjoyable to tackle, plus with some of our rocky, mountain climbs(when the families not along), the more capable machines are just safer insurance/right tool for the job.

An RMax upgrade isn’t out of the question either but given 85% of our riding is under 30mph, I’m thinking sticking with the less noisy 850(wife says it’s already too loud😂) and adding Walker Evans will serve us just fine vs dishing out 30k+ for a fancier crossover.

And my dream YXZ four seater also needs to be able to plow and accept a hitch somewhere.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Safer for sure if your doing severe stuff! Nimble NO!
Our decisions are always a compromise. I’ve been up The Chute at Sand Hollow multiple times now. At 70” wide and with bigger better crawling tires it was much easier than stock but once I’m in it, it never feels comfortable. Honestly it does it handier even being 4” shorter than a CanAm Maverick Sport XRC but it feels high risk and scary. The KRX crawls it without drama, 12” longer and way more travel, It’s safe. My nephews do it in their 4 seat RZRs with kids in the back in car seats like it’s nothing!

I wouldn’t want to drive a 4 seat RZR anywhere I normally ride at home. A KRX would be bearable in that it’s turning radius is as good as an Rmax but it’s stance is to wide for me. My Gen 1 was 63” wide and I felt like I just fit. My Rmax contact patch is 65” and I barely fit on the trails but feel I get along as good as the Gen 1. When I go crawling I’m 70” wide, about the same as my brothers KRX sits and I’d get up the trails I travel at home but at the price of going much slower and driving over a lot of big boulders I don’t have to in stock fashion. I’m jealous of the obstacles the KRX can do that I can’t quite pull off but I bought the right machine for my needs. I still get through all the same trails as everyone else but a few things I do have to bypass strictly because I’m handicapped in wheelbase.

It’s a shame Yamaha didnt put the 2 seat on the same frame as the 4 seat. It could have been 4” more bed cargo space, 4” more leg room for taller drivers, or 4” of cargo room behind the seats. It still would have been just as nimble on tight trails, more capable and safer on steep climbs, and cheaper from a manufacturing standpoint!
Even if it was 4” longer it still would be handicapped compared to the KRX on steep climbs.

No YXZ platform, regardless of travel numbers will never compete with a KRX unless they stretch the wheelbase out to at least that length. The KRX wheelbase is the perfect length In between the 4 seat stuff and most 2 seat stuff and it still turns a corner as good as my short 2 seat Rmax!
Even if the 2 seat was 4” longer it would still be handicapped in comparison to the KRX on steep climbs. The screaming RPMs and transmission of the YXZ will never be conducive to the crawling world but for people that don’t do that I can see how it would be a blast in a different way!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yamaha missed out a little not bringing the rear wheels back a few more inches on the Rmax4. They could have done it and still be at the same overall length, there is a lot a rear overhang. They could have gotten into the 95-100 WB range and still been the shortest 4 seater with decent suspension, all while being a smoother ride and more stable then it is now.

Reactions: Dan and Budro2

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,390 Posts
Even if we didn't have our daughter, I would have gone RMAX4 just for the extra wheelbase over the RMAX2. RMAX4 gets its extra wheelbase by swept back A-Arms. The lower frame is the same as the RMAX2 as best I can tell from the diagrams and the rear driveshafts are the same. Makes you wonder if one could retrofit RMAX4 rear A-Arms, shocks, and axles to an RMAX2 to increase its wheelbase. Think of the tires you could run.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No YXZ platform, regardless of travel numbers will never compete with a KRX unless they stretch the wheelbase out to at least that length.
Oh yeah I left out the rest of my dream where I get delusional, YXZ and Talon are being left in no man’s land as a “niche experience” sport sxs. I’m sure they still sell but it seems like someone going that route would easily choose the KRX or the ludicrous turbo machines 7 out of 10 times, so I’m thinking Yamaha and Honda will have to pick a lane and commit to it. If I got a 4 seat YXZ in a 2 seat footprint competing with the KRX or Turbo X3 in some capacity I wouldn’t complain lol.

I really need to test out an RMax, even today I was riding with two new Commanders. Once you get on the gas and stay on it the X4 does comically well, but I was using 90-100%the throttle and suspension on several longer climbs or even higher speed areas and they were just riding along. The RMax would have handled the rocky climbs just as well as the Commanders no doubt, and maybe that would suffice… but I’m still thinking for the ultimate experience and feeling of safety with the family along, the KRX would just soak that stuff up like a Sunday drive. Or am I overestimating the KRX?

I would take the family in the X4 on that type of ride once or twice to show them the views, but certainly wouldn’t tempt fate and make that a normal ride. I’m thinking the Rmax would be a substantial improvement in calming things down, but would still be pushing the machine, then the KRX wouldn’t even be in the same galaxy as the full throttle 850 banging it’s way up?

The RMax4 would easily be the most common sense next machine for my needs… Where as the KRX would be ideal in some scenarios but less so in others like custom mounting a child seat in the back or towing/plowing.

Thoughts? I’m actually in a conundrum if I should spend a few grand and upgrade the X4 shocks and ride it, or if I should just enjoy it as is and plan to upgrade to an RMax4 or KRX in the next year or two. If the RMax was closer to a KRX with its suspension technology(I know different purposes) I think I’d have one ordered already, but my gut tells me it’s closer to an upgraded 850 than a KRX.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
JRA would have a better opinion comparing a 4 seat Rmax to a KRX but there isn’t a lot of difference in ride quality between the two in my opinion until you get in the really big whoops.
Even then I like driving my Rmax better but I suspect that’s because my brother has his shocks set up at full soft for crawling and his front end doesn’t handle the whoops as well as my machine does. If it was set up different I wouldn’t be able to keep up with him.

Regarding the X model and RMax, my thought is that if you spend money on better shocks will no doubt be more comfortable but when really pushing it to keep up with others, it will still be held back by its travel numbers.

It’s a tough decision the X takes you where you want to go at a much better price point. If you only ride with people in similar machines it probably doesn’t bother you but if your always trying to keep up its hard to be happy.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you need the 4 seats go Rmax. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The KRX is much more stable and secure feeling but the Rmax won't feel bad coming from an X4. We rode with a group that likes move pretty fast in the tight stuff and the Rmax 4 had no issue's keeping up. My nephew commented a few times how much better it rides than his Gen 1 rspec did and how much easier it is to go faster. The Gen1 machines already rode much better than a X4 so it would be a huge improvement for you. His only regret on the Rmax4 is going with the XTR over the base.

Reactions: Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you need the 4 seats go Rmax. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The KRX is much more stable and secure feeling but the Rmax won't feel bad coming from an X4. We rode with a group that likes move pretty fast in the tight stuff and the Rmax 4 had no issue's keeping up. My nephew commented a few times how much better it rides than his Gen 1 rspec did and how much easier it is to go faster. The Gen1 machines already rode much better than a X4 so it would be a huge improvement for you. His only regret on the Rmax4 is going with the XTR over the base.
So he would have rather got the base?

In Canada it looks like we can only get the Fox 2.0 QS3 because all we get is the XTR(even though they call it SE). I’ve heard several people say upgraded X4 shocks ride better than those(except for higher speed whoops of course). That’s also a bit of a draw back for me vs the KRX, commit to all this money and just have ok suspension. Those are what your nephew has and they’re fine?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes, he would got the base doing it again.

The adventure pro sucks, the stock roof is not great, the wheels and tires got replaced after the first ride, the nicer seats are harder to clean and the paint scratches easy. You could make a base a nicer machine cheaper yourself. I believe all the shocks are the same until the LE (US model) that get the IQS.

Short vid of following it through the woods.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I know this a KRX and RMAX comparison thread but don't discount the WIldcat when is comes to climbing. The rest of the machine is questionable but we have a couple creek banks similar to Budro's last video and those Wildcats make it look like a cake walk. You'll need a football field to turn around though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Safer for sure if your doing severe stuff! Nimble NO!
Do you guys think the RMax has a more "nimble" driving experience than the KRX? The KRX is longer and a bit wider than the RMax4, but similar, and their turning radius' seem to be a wash so I thought overall they'd have a pretty similar "nimbleness" rating?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I would say Rmax is more nimble for 2 rreaons even though the KRX turns very well.
Its stance alone for the trails i drive at home would make it less nimble leaving me driving over a lot of big rocks on the side of the trail in many spots rather than passing through. The cab may actually be narrower on the KRX, so if the sides of your trails aren’t lined with big rocks then it will fit trails the same as an X model and do great

The other thing I noticed was I had to plan different driving the KRX, which really wasn’t to big of deal, but making a tight corner with an obstacle I noticed I couldn’t turn as soon as I thought. Being longer you still have to wait longer to turn in order to get the rear end around something.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
Here ya go, JRA. Watch that suspension flex as he leaves!

As good as the Rmax is for a crossover machine it can’t do stuff like that with its short wheel base. I may have actually ended up on my lid but even if I didn’t my front wheels would be light and hopping. He barely was able to reach up over the top and get a hold. This was his 4th attempt and finally got lined up perfect.
Is that KRX running KM3's?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
They actually look good on the KRX. Could you go with 35's on the Rmax2?
I agree, the KRX has so much room 33-35 looks appropriate.

Ive heard 33s fit on the Rmax 2 without rubbing but 35 definitely won’t.
Running spacers for stability when rock crawling I get a slight rub at full compression on the front with 32s. It’s really rare but it will touch the outer fender where mud extensions attach. Without the spacers there is no rubbing but the Rmax looks tall and narrow even with 32s and 5-2 offset.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
I probably won't go with bead locks based upon my style of riding (lack of cojones) but wouldn't 4+4's give you a wider stance over 5+2's? "5" is towards to machine "2" is away from the machine. I think...
4+4's

21 - 40 of 48 Posts