Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, since both are around now I figured I'd get this started. It is just our opinions of both machines using them in the same ways. A two seat Rmax may have been a closer comparison, but if 2 seats were an option there would 2 KRX's here. Besides that the wheelbase is closer on the 4 and reportedly it rides better. So far there is only 60 miles of snow riding on the Rmax and I will try to keep this updated as time goes on. I'll just list the differences as noticed and which is better so far, may be some points on stuff that really stands out. If there's something you want to hear more about something just ask.

Rmax- 33's on 15" beadlocks, Bandit tender springs, Milwaukee pack out mount, trail armor A arm guards, fender block offs, half windshield and 2 way radio.

KRX- winch, full skids, metal roof, hitch, tree kickers, tube tailgate,click 6 harnesses, half windshield, mirrors, cameras, 2 way radio, primary spring delete, 33's and VFJ tune. It should be the heavier of the 2 at this point.

Ok, here we go.

Fit and finish. Rmax

Switches. Rmax. Twist style are just easier to use by feel when moving.

Cab noise. KRX, not much but noticeable

Cab heat. Really too cold to tell, but the Rmax melted snow on the floors and the KRX did not.

Turning radius. It's close. I don't think you ever notice a difference in real riding.

Ride. KRX. At trail speeds it seems to be a draw with the Rmax on Bandit tenders.

Stability. KRX. My nephew don't think the Rmax is as stable as his gen 1 was. The Rmax lifts tires alot.

Ease of entrance. KRX

Comfort. Draw. You do feel more secure in the KRX.

Headlights. KRX

Reverse lights. Rmax. No oem reverse light on the KRX.

Steering feel. KRX. The Rmax could be a little stronger with aftermarket tires.

Storage. KRX

Wet clutch. KRX. It's much easier to get small, predictable movements out of the KRX.

Water fording depth. KRX. Both go deep enough but you'll get nervous in the Rmax sooner.

Gearing. Rmax. Both are good but the RMax has a more usable Low range. The KRX tops out about 30 mph and is revving pretty high at around 18 mph.

Warm up. Rmax is ready go sooner.

Brakes. Maybe Rmax. They both suck with big tires.

Power. This was a big surprise to me. Rmax in sport mode. KRX on 87 octane tune, 33's and and primary removed. Two people in each. KRX. I really don't see how that video we've all seen from Big Pine has the Rmax pulling on a KRX, mine should be slower than stock.

Ease of service. KRX. A Yamaha engineer needs smacked. I could change the oil in the KRX faster than it can be checked in the Rmax 4.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
It hit 68 degrees here today and I took the KRX out this evening after the first 120 mile service and two weeks of down for wiring lights and the necessary backup camera. I was thinking about a comparison thread to my X2 on putt putting around as they are similar and this popped up.

Following.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
997 Posts
What about visibility. You say more secure feeling in the KRX, I don't doubt. But looks like one is sitting down much further.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
What about visibility. You say more secure feeling in the KRX, I don't doubt. But looks like one is sitting down much further.
My other is an X2 not an RMax but yes the KRX is more like a RZR the cockpit is well inside the fenders. Side view mirrors leave huge blind spots. Can’t see anything directly behind you in a rear view mirror.

Outside of front left tire is in sight at edge of mud package fender. I haven’t lost anything in the front windshield. I quickly adjusted to driving in trees. It’s not as nimble on 4wheeler trails. It’s not so much that it’s wider, it’s longer. What I tell myself each time.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
997 Posts
Something I like about the RMax is if I look over the door I can easily see what's happening at either left side wheel.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear visibility is pretty bad on both. The Rmax should be a lot better forward but it wasn't something that popped out as really noticeable to me. I'll try to take notice next time we are out. I don't think you sit much lower, the doors are just much higher.

Reactions: Maggot

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have the factory mud fenders and can see the entire left tire. I can't say I've ever tried looking at the rear tire on any of my machines, thats what I have mirrors for.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
KRX has a 4 seater?
If Yamaha (4%) and Kawasaki (4%) keep improving, maybe they'll steal markets shares from John Deere (8%) and move up the ladder...... lol
Dump beds resale better I think. Plus people can justify a dual purpose 20-30k machine.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I don't have the factory mud fenders and can see the entire left tire. I can't say I've ever tried looking at the rear tire on any of my machines, thats what I have mirrors for.
I opt not to have mud fenders for this reason as well as others I mentioned in other threads. Being able to see where my tire is, is an important trait on our trails. The RS1 I had, had the factory Polaris mud fenders, They were so big they defeated the purpose of the great front visibility of the RS1.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasn't the Big Pine video a 2 seat Rmax? The weight advantage of an RMAX2 over the RMAX4 may have given it the edge if that was the case.
It was, but I figured my 33's, probably 400 lbs of junk and not having a primary spring would more then make up for it.

KRX has a 4 seater?
They don't. That is why he bought the Rmax4.

Adding service to the OP.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Short drag race. We didn't run any harder or longer until it's got a little more run time.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm almost wondering if there is something in PCM tied to hours/miles? Either on the showroom KRX in the Big Pine Vid or the Rmax in mine. I know GM does it. It should have had about 55 miles at this point. It really should have pulled hard on me.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
A little more comparison of the Rmax and KRX since I’ve now spent time in both.
I really respect JRA and his candid honesty on the forum so differences in opinions, the few there is are not arguments but just my perspective.

My brother owns the KRX, I’m a big fan of it and I sold him on it, so my perspective of both machines are not biased either.

We both do feel that you sit much lower in the KRX. It’s not just higher doors. It’s a more stable feeling for sure but the wider stance is a lot of that too. I just put 2.5” wheel spacers on my Rmax last night ( for severe rock crawling only) and did a 25 mile test run. It’s 70” wide and I’d say I feel as stable in it as the KRX now. As soon as my brother and sis in law got in the Rmax they were uncomfortable off camber and in very steep climbs. Part of that for them admittedly was the higher seating position. I’ve never thought any thing of it coming from the Gen 1 it feels like home. I like it better but it’s what I’m used to. I like to be up where I can see in all directions. I guess it’s just what you get used to. I’ve never felt like the a Rmax is less stable than the Gen 1, but I’m comparing 2 seat to 2 seat not 2 seat to 4 seat. I finally got a tilt meter mounted in it a couple days ago and did some side hill stuff. At 36 degrees, the tilt table tip over number, stock set up except my cargo rack on, so a higher center of gravity, I can get out and pull on it and rock it with my 160 pounds and I can’t get it on 2 wheels. I drove it through a section at 40 degrees. Still haven’t figured where the balance point is but it was roughly 42 degrees on the Gen 1 with a 2” lift and 63” stance.
The KRX has a steep sloped off hood like the Gen 1 and by all accounts visibility should be a lot better than the Rmax but at 5’8” I can’t see anything out the front of it. I would need at least a 3” lift kit under my sphincter muscle! My bro drove my Rmax before buying the KRX and it was one of his 1st complaints being used to mine. He actually lifted the seat 1.5 “ In the rear to raise it and tilt it forward because he favored the more upright posture but for some reason it proved to not be comfortable and he changed it back.

Steering: Hands down to the KRX. Let me explain. When your on slick rock the traction is so good that steering in the Rmax is a lot tougher in 4x4. In diff lock while barely moving or stopped steering is almost impossible. IT FLAT SUCKS. In the KRX in diff lock you feel like you could probably still steer with on finger. With one hand easily!

Ease of use going in and out of diff lock, hands down KRX. You hardly have to think about it.
The Rmax diff lock is easier than the Gen 1 for sure but again when on slick rock where the tires have so much traction going in and out is a big PITA and it’s the one time in riding where it’s needed a lot!

Clutch, CVT: I believe it’s no question that the roller weights are a better design than fingers. I don’t know for sure about the KRX wet clutch but here’s my take and therory after spending time in it. I love it’s engagement better than the Rmax. It feels instant on lock up like my Gen 1 after slugging it. I hate how long the Rmax feels like it takes for full lock up, especially In high and I wish it had the ability to be slugged. Interestingly enough my bro likes the Rmax engagement better and thinks it has better control. After driving his I get his point to a degree. Sometimes in sticky situations in the KRX when you let off the gas completely it will still pull a little longer than you want it to. On the flip side when crawling up through a bunch of boulders or ledges the KRX will be more consistent because the wet clutch stays engaged. In the same spot when I have to ease up some, due to the steepness or load the Rmax clutch will stall and stop pulling and momentum can be lost. I feel like it’s harder on the Rmax wet clutch, more slipping, starting and stopping. They are putting 4 size bigger tires on the KRX from 31 to 35 like it’s a standard and I asked my brother if he’s hearing of wet clutch failures and he said no.
If the Rmax could fit a 34 or 35 I don’t think the wet clutch would take it without slugging.

Suspension: that’s a no brainer. That said from a general riding experience not much difference. I’m just speaking from a travel standpoint and how the KRX can keep 4 tires in contact with the ground much easier than the Rmax.
Still, I think it’s pretty cool that I can do this one weekend.
3A907243-82E7-41BE-BBD2-0E09EDD9D4FA.jpeg

And then do this the next!
D55125C3-E650-44C0-9A02-085A90E5F5FB.jpeg

Except for extremely steep climbs where wheel base comes into play the Rmax has done everything the KRX or a 4 seat RZR with HCR long travel suspension and 36” tires has done. Some things it’s actually done much easier due to size. It’s funny to watch them go through things then stop, get out and come back as if I’ll need assistance only to walk away laughing because I did it as easy if not easier sometimes than them. The nephews brought a rock crawling master ( friend ) with them to Moab one day. He had just sold his extreme modified machine and borrowed a relatives stock 4 seat RZR. He was leading since he knew where to go and every time I drive through a bad spot he’d smile and say something like that thing didn’t even slip a tire! I know he was looking at it initially like it was a Ranger or somthing. Buy the end of the day he was an Rmax fan!

It will be interesting next week going back to Sand Hollow on 32” tires and 70” wide how much it changes it’s abilities. I will definitely be doing the chute over as a before/after test.
I’ll also be doing the Triple 7 trail. Check out Off Camber Industries Triple 7 on you tube. My family met those guys down there and they showed them the trail. It will be my 1st time on it.
Honestly when I watch the vid I think to myself, can the Rmax do that? But when that old Teryx does it then I know I can. I’m not knocking it, its a bad machine with long travel suspension and clutch work etc but I’m speaking from a wheel base standpoint and I’m guessing the Rmax travel is similar!

The quality of the Rmax interior and body etc is far superior. Noises are also better. My brother has spent more time in both of them and likes the Rmax comfort and visibility much better.

For you guys having a hard time with the noises UTVs make please go test drive other stuff in the real world. If your brakes squeak a bit in dusty conditions try out a KRX. You may commit suicide before the ride is over!

·
Registered
796 Posts
That's a great review of both machines @Budro2. It's interesting to me to hear your thoughts on clutching. I have been a Yamaha guy for a long time - I'm just familiar with them. I stopped at a dealer today and sat in in an Rmax again. It really does have a nice fit and finish. I haven't driven an KRX but from a quick "sit in it" on the dealer floor, the KRX doesn't measure up there in my opinion. From Youtube videos, the KRX does have some very nice suspension though. I'm sure my Rmax got delivered earlier this month... sure wish it was in my garage. For now, my "new-to-me" Viking will have to do until I land a new job.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I kept my X2 and didn’t want another machine with an upright seating position and a dump bed (RMAX) so the 2021 KRX was my choice. I agree with your review on the KRX! The suspension and clutching is tops. I put 35” tires on mine at the break in service (120 miles) and they have not rubbed. Fantastic on crawling in low range. I can drive it off the trailer without using ramps. The aproach and departure angles are impressive. I haven’t done any other performance mods. I’m cautious with the gas pedal though.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think that’s the key! My bro just put 35s on his as well. I get to drive that monster this coming weekend in sand hollow! I can’t wait!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Budro, I think we agree on most points and you put it much more elegantly. Do your brothers brakes squeak on the KRX? Mine haven't made any noise and I've not heard this complaint before. They dont stop all that great with 33's, but neither does the Rmax.

The Rmax is now around 300 miles and on 33's (31.75 tall and rub badly in the rear) with no issues. Updated the OP with current thoughts.

Reactions: Paul65 and Budro2

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Budro, I think we agree on most points and you put it much more elegantly. Do your brothers brakes squeak on the KRX? Mine haven't made any noise and I've not heard this complaint before. They dont stop all that great with 33's, but neither does the Rmax.

The Rmax is now around 300 miles and on 33's (31.75 tall and rub badly in the rear) with no issues. Updated the OP with current thoughts.
Yes In Moab his brakes were terrible. That said mine were also at there worst, just not on the same level. Dry dusty conditions, I don’t believe any brakes can be squeak free all the time.
The next time we rode together at Sand Hollow his brakes weren’t very bad.
One thing he does have is extremely clunky front shocks. I think it’s the crossover ring. I can tell that it’s got a lot of bind. Hard to eliminate with that long of springs. Possibly Shock Therapy silent crossover takes care of that?

I’m running 32s when I’m crawling that are 31.5 and no rub. Doesn’t seem to be even close. The 2 seat probably has more clearance.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior
1 - 20 of 48 Posts