Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our new '21 RMAX4 LE late last week and were able to finally romp it a bit at the local dry retention pond. Coming out of a Honda P1000 all I can say is wow... huge improvement all the way around except for cockpit noise levels. The noise will take a bit to get used to but def not terrible. The P1000 is a very quiet machine so I guess we were spoiled.

I did notice the lack of engine heat which was great and almost always uncomfortable on the P1000. I figure I'd rather have noise over heat as I can control the noise with headphones or helmets.

With my wife driving I kept bracing myself for an impacts that never came. The IQS is awesome and I could really tell the diff while my wife was tackling different terrain.

Another thing that I will probably have to add are some fender flares as my lady is not accustomed to the water spray off the front tires. I explained to her that we basically moved from a utility to high performance machine and fender coverage or lack there of is kinda a part of the game.

Overall very pleased and can't wait to get her some trails.. thanks for all the pre-purchase advice..

·
Registered
24 Posts
We picked up our new '21 RMAX4 LE late last week and were able to finally romp it a bit at the local dry retention pond. Coming out of a Honda P1000 all I can say is wow... huge improvement all the way around except for cockpit noise levels. The noise will take a bit to get used to but def not terrible. The P1000 is a very quiet machine so I guess we were spoiled.

I did notice the lack of engine heat which was great and almost always uncomfortable on the P1000. I figure I'd rather have noise over heat as I can control the noise with headphones or helmets.

With my wife driving I kept bracing myself for an impacts that never came. The IQS is awesome and I could really tell the diff while my wife was tackling different terrain.

Another thing that I will probably have to add are some fender flares as my lady is not accustomed to the water spray off the front tires. I explained to her that we basically moved from a utility to high performance machine and fender coverage or lack there of is kinda a part of the game.

Overall very pleased and can't wait to get her some trails.. thanks for all the pre-purchase advice..
Congrats on the new machine! Until Yamaha comes out with some MOLDED flares I think the best looking ones for the rmax4 are the ones from Spike. They aren’t the best looking but definitely better than the others haha. I’m bout to order a set.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also came from a pioneer 1000 and wow. What a difference. Of course its a different class of machine, but the Rmax is impressive regardless. I put 15,000 miles on my pioneer in 3yrs. It was a solid machine that went anywhere and was "truly reliable". But this Rmax is a different animal. Your right, its louder and its worse in the 4seater once you enclose it. But I don't care. Its so comfortable and smooth. And yamaha did something special pairing a wet clutch with the CVT. My wife always had a challenge driving the honda with its 6sp transmission. She definitely likes driving the Yamaha better. She can see better, has a better seating position and the suspension is more forgiving for her "driving style". And I can respect the drive mode switch. Im a leisure trail rider but I will click it to sport regularly to keep up with those rzr guys and its so fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
445 Posts
Lol yeah when they came out and I saw they had a drive mode switch I thought what a gimmick but when I got one I realized that hey they do make a huge difference in the feel of the pedal!
I thought it was a gimmick too..... till I owned one and hit SPORT MODE. then I felt really bad for the new owners of the base model till they got their switch. I am still blown away at the adjustability and adaptability of this machine. Doughnuts, to technical crawling and hauling 600lbs of gear if Ya need it. I'll admit I don't use sport mode often due to the terrain I like to explore but I sure giggle a lot when I do turn it on. And crawl mode has the throttle response of a farm tractor. D mode is one of my favorite features

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought it was a gimmick too..... till I owned one and hit SPORT MODE. then I felt really bad for the new owners of the base model till they got their switch. I am still blown away at the adjustability and adaptability of this machine. Doughnuts, to technical crawling and hauling 600lbs of gear if Ya need it. I'll admit I don't use sport mode often due to the terrain I like to explore but I sure giggle a lot when I do turn it on. And crawl mode has the throttle response of a farm tractor. D mode is one of my favorite features
The response of a farm tractor! but yeah unless you’re in something technical you don’t run in that mode and sport is so jumpy mine typically stays in trail!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My buddy took me for a ride to show off the d-mode switch on the hardroad when he 1st got his. I just couldn't tell much of a difference from the passenger side. I bought one a few months later and was thoroughly impressed by that little bit of goodness.. I actually run in crawl mode most of the time. I find i like the added engine brake that crawl mode gives. And then I'll go straight to sport and just git-it-git-it.

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
445 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Plant Bedrock Wood

Seems like I'm in crawl mode all the time. Except when I'm going to or coming from my preferred areas..... then I'm hauling ass in sport mode..... drifting the corners and giggling like a kid. Hmmmm...... maybe i should try trail mode sometime. 🤣

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats but very curious about the noise. My buddies P1000-5 was a first year and he could not believe how much quieter and coolerthe RMAX4 was.
We put 5000 miles on our '16 P1000 with zero issues so from a reliability standpoint - very solid machine. At first the DCT tranny shifting was loud but diminished over time and ultimately a non issue. I am sure it's just the diff between belt-whine and a DCT tranny but cab noise is def higher. The P1000 also had a less aggressive engine tone which I am sure is muffler related.

The OEM SSV stereo with just door speakers is almost pointless - I might add the add'l pair overhead to help.

At this point in my UTV ownership cycle - I will say that ride comfort trumps everything. From what I can tell it's a hell of an improvement of the P1000 in that category.

·
Vendor
618 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! Until Yamaha comes out with some MOLDED flares I think the best looking ones for the rmax4 are the ones from Spike. They aren’t the best looking but definitely better than the others haha. I’m bout to order a set.
Did you see this?
Well done on the new machine! Until Yamaha comes out with some MOLDED flares I think the most attractive ones for the rmax4 are the ones from Spike. They aren't the most attractive however certainly better than the others haha. I'm session to arrange a set.

@MassiveOverkill I believe we have an imposter....

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
445 Posts
Trail mode works for me.
YXZ is a great for Sport mode.
And the good ol' Rhino is great for property work.

View attachment 99748
Damn swyzr29....... I'm coming to your place. You got all the cool toys. Why Ya gotta make us all look bad! YXZ definitely in sport mode. 🤣
You collect SXS's like my wife collects shoes ...... just gotta have the one for each occasion. So if you could only have one...... which one is the favorite?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Madcat !
You are welcome anytime. Ocotillo Wells.
Let's see .....
The YXZ has 3900 miles on it. It has gotten (2) flats, but that's it.
The Rhino probably has 20k miles on it. Not sure if there is even oil in it, it won't die.
The XTR is mine and the White Wolverine is my sister's.
YXZ is faster and takes the big hits better. It has a lower CG and you can fly through stuff.
The Wolverine will crawl through ugly stuff, the YXZ hates that.

But if I could only have (1) car, it would be the Wolverine.
It's smooth, my girl can drive it, throw my chairs in the back and visit other campsites.
We cover some ground and I know that Wolverine will get me back.
The Wolverine is easier to work on. The fit and finish is like a Lexus.

The So Cal desert has both terrains - fast routes and technical stuff.
I'm set for either type ride.

Put harnesses and lights on the Wolverine recently.

Seat belt Vehicle Car Plant Product

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
445 Posts
Hey Madcat !
You are welcome anytime. Ocotillo Wells.
Let's see .....
The YXZ has 3900 miles on it. It has gotten (2) flats, but that's it.
The Rhino probably has 20k miles on it. Not sure if there is even oil in it, it won't die.
The XTR is mine and the White Wolverine is my sister's.
YXZ is faster and takes the big hits better. It has a lower CG and you can fly through stuff.
The Wolverine will crawl through ugly stuff, the YXZ hates that.

But if I could only have (1) car, it would be the Wolverine.
It's smooth, my girl can drive it, throw my chairs in the back and visit other campsites.
We cover some ground and I know that Wolverine will get me back.
The Wolverine is easier to work on. The fit and finish is like a Lexus.

The So Cal desert has both terrains - fast routes and technical stuff.
I'm set for either type ride.

Put harnesses and lights on the Wolverine recently.

View attachment 99759
I was in San Diego just before the Corona nightmare started. Enjoyed it. Was just a tad bit different than Tennessee. We had a lot of fun out there. Agree 100% I rode an older YXZ for a short time before my Rmax2 came. YXZ is way too much speed for my style of old man mountain crawling. My 08 Rhino was an unkillable beast.... it's still going strong with a friend of mine. My Rmax does everything I like to do and does it ALL WELL. love those harnesses.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Welcome, hope you enjoy your new ride...these are awesome machines....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts